Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

I’ve waited to voice my opinion until now, but overall I’m impressed with the new look. Its differently an improvement from the Eyewitness brand. Its clean, slick and fresh. Yes, improvements can be made in the future with the introduction of new sets/bulletins and staff etc, but one step at a time.

3 Likes

New bumpers for news on social media. Both front and back.

3 Likes

I posted them yesterday, they’re fucking awful.

At least have something news related if you’re going to have them, make them meaningful with a call to action to their news site or something… anything.

3 Likes

Please, please, please can you add 6pm news? A trial over summer! There is a market for this. #justdoit

7 Likes

As weird as it sounds, I agree with Jens

Longer days in summer mean people being home later. I reckon a later bulletin might be a great idea during the DST months of the year.

4 Likes

Joe Hill is a great anchor. Never seen him down here.

5 Likes

Not at 6pm. 7pm though would be ground breaking.

3 Likes

For a brand that calls itself ‘News first’, it sure takes a long time to get to the news. The openers across the country are far far too long, approaching a minute some of them. And most of them are hardly ‘must-tease’ stories.

Live that News First branding, by going into that first story after a branding hit at the start. You can tease what’s coming up elsewhere in the broadcast, either through graphics or a tease before ads.

4 Likes

Also, love everything about the new look. Theme music, graphics, VO, cold open. It’s perfect.

12 Likes

I’ve got an idea for 10.
How about they have their normal 5pm bulletin, then a current affairs program at 6pm and a 6.30pm bulletin focused around local stories :thinking: :thinking:

I agree. From the clips I’ve seen, he’s very good.

1 Like

They did that the summer of ‘02, maybe?

3 Likes

Bangs head against wall. 7PM Project is a hit for them!

1 Like

Ratings say otherwise.

The last I checked, The Project is typically either 3rd or 4th in the 7pm timeslot in Sydney.

Maybe there are other places which like The Project, but I personally think this market would much more warmly embrace a fast paced half hour, metro area-centric 7pm news bulletin aimed at the commuter market. With the urban sprawl, chronic traffic congestion, public transport problems and everything else, there’s heaps of people not home in time to see the 6pm news in full let alone 5pm.

Despite the presence of ABC News at 7pm and their more state-based broadcasts, Ten (or anyone who’s willing to have a go at this) would be taking advantage of a largely untapped market.

3 Likes

Ten have just confirmed that their target audience is younger demographics; so it’s pointless to make arguments based on total people ratings results. The Project at 7pm regularly tops the national demo numbers for Ten’s target in its timeslot and often ourates Seven and Nine News. A news bulletin from Ten isn’t going to do any better than that.

For example, in Thursday’s numbers The Project 7pm was in the top 5 for all three demos nationally. In Sydney, The Project was number one at 7pm in Ten’s target under 50 demo, ranking 6th overall; Nine News at 6pm ranked 10th and Seven News at 6pm ranked 12th. Perhaps Sydney commuters are already getting the news they want from Ten at 7pm.

10 Likes

Here here. What I said.

2 Likes

Except Ten tried it once before in the '00s. Seemingly it didn’t take off. And now they’ve got The Project six nights a week at that time and unlikely they’re going to bump that off for a 7.00 news. Although might be worth a try if The Project takes a week off over Christmas/New Year and see how it goes as a replacement.

2 Likes
1 Like

Have 10 started playing the promo for News First that they showed at the Upfronts yet?

Have they even been continuing those 10 second daily promos?