Ten News First Content and Appearance

Agree. The current outlook, programming, funding and business model really doesn’t look good for 10.

I’m now in the opinion that 10 needs a new owner. Its overseas leaders are just not interested in investing in the Australian market, other than using the lineal platform to promote its second grade streaming service.

3 Likes

From memory, Seven and Nines morning bulletins are hovering around the 80k mark which were posted on here a few months back.

A daytime news bulletin which just launched leaping from 60k to 10k is a statistical error. Get real.

Primetime is a real issue but it’s reversible with one big hit. The Project remains an issue in totals but demos is still killing it.

4 Likes

The article says this:

Studio 10’s new 10am timeslot has also struggled, with zero viewers in Perth and dismal ratings everywhere else.

CBS were leading 10 back to dominance, investing in news and sport and 10 was getting higher ratings. Then CBS merged into VIACOM and 10 was changed to run under the same model as 5. VIACOM then ruined the News product by merging and didn’t invest in sport. CBS didn’t ruin 10, VIACOM did.

9 Likes

Pretty disappointing that so many here believe what the Daily Mail says unquestioned.

They have a long history of bashing 10 and are trying to establish an absurd culture war related narrative on the networks performance, providing nothing but speculation / theory when it comes to saying that it’s going to shut down, or it’s struggling for survival.

On that note, please try to keep your posts on topic to News Content and Appearance, we have threads dealing with 10’s overall performance elsewhere on the forum.

8 Likes

I don’t read the fluff around the article… but the numbers reported are the main concern by most here.

Absolutely. None of that analysis includes BVOD or VOZ ratings or any streaming numbers. It doesn’t analyze the impact of subscription streaming and other revue sources. It’s full of errors and their ratings data isn’t properly sourced either.

The Daily Mail for some reason has some bizarre agenda against 10. No reasons are provided for said agenda.

3 Likes

Also ignores demos

2 Likes

Gosh, I despise ‘The Daily Mail’. With most media outlets becoming more tabloid, they’ve been pushed to become even more extreme.

• FTA ratings numbers are abysmal across the board, compared to 2018, compared to 10 years ago, whenever, there has been a consistent decline in viewership. It’s VERY rare for a show to rate above 1M these days.
  • Multiple ‘reality’ titles have been struggling to perform - the Bachelor IP is just the latest, not the first.
  • The Harry interview that was airing on 7 is an anomaly, which can contribute to the ratings statistics being out-of-whack (a genius move on 7’s part, seeing as people missing the premiere of a show will result in people not returning for the rest of the series).
  • With so many more media sources Demographics are more important than ever.

I’ve believed for a while now that the 10 News brand is always going to be the sign of things to come for the other TV networks.

My theory is this: 10 was always labeled as the younger channel through the 90s and 00s, those younger audiences are always going to be the first to jump to new formats and media sources.
This was realised when multi-channels started coming along and targeting those younger demos. They tried to reformat the channel but it was too late. (11’s launch, and the infamous ‘news revolution’)

9 and 7 have always been in better positions, but even they have started struggling. 9 have just become a bigger juggernaut than the others and have the funds to pull out all stops.

3 Likes

Part Sydney and part Melbourne sports in the one bulletin

4 Likes

Footnote from an Advertiser article today about ratings for 7 and 9s Adelaide bulletins:

“It’s still unclear when Channel 10 – who announced in November it would bring back a local news presenter after axing its Adelaide service in August 2020 – will debut its line-up.” It further says Kate Freebairn is still on maternity leave.

I also find it a bit weird that Max Burford is being introduced on his radio show as 10’s sports presenter yet when people actually tune in they’re still getting the Melbourne team.

6 Likes

Its gone very quiet now.

Presumably a good 3-4 months away at a minimum - assuming they haven’t filmed any promos or even begun putting together whatever set Adelaide will receive in Sydney.

1 Like

Some glitches with the opener on Midday today.

6 Likes

Casual Thursday for Tristan?

1 Like

New Friday segment at the end of the Midday bulletin.

6 Likes

Some behind the scenes shots of the Melbourne studio

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZS8AsEJgf/

3 Likes

Christian Hull joined Studio 10 from the old Brisbane set last week. Surprised it’s still there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnvT76gh7Jn/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

3 Likes

I remember someone posting the same thing a year or so ago. At least it’s all in tact and functional.

3 Likes