Ten Network - Programs and Schedules

Just chuck a movie on. Saturday is a wasteland for 10. It’s sad.

1 Like

Schedule Update

Saturday 2 March
07:30 pm Bondi Rescue Rpt
08:00 pm Ambulance Australia Rpt

Repeating poor performers not a good idea.

I guess they can’t repeat any shows then.

1 Like

Network 10’s chief executive officer Paul Anderson delivered the keynote at the Future of TV Advertising Forum in Sydney today Thursday 28 February

New TV, new 10

Good morning.

Today I want to talk a little about 10, as well as the broader television sector and what we all have to do to flourish in what are unprecedented times of change.

Welcome to new 10

We are all living in a new era for television with change happening in front of us. This is especially true for 10 given recent events, and it is an era that we are very excited about.

We are of course now part of CBS Corporation, a marriage made in heaven perhaps, and definitely one that we are very happy with.

CBS’s new role in Australian media is not only a good thing for 10 but I genuinely believe it is also a very good thing for media in Australia.

The past 18 months has seen significant change. Some of it has happened to us, but most of the change been the start of a deliberate long-term plan.

A new strategy, a new brand and unprecedented investment in technology, data and content.

A refresh, rebrand – re-anything – must always begin with a clear and open understanding of where you stand, what your customers love about you, what they may not love about you, and, above all, what sets you apart.

The good news for 10 is that our viewers know we are very different to our competitors which is a good thing in our industry. We have very different networks delivering very different content and, more importantly, delivering record levels of that Australian content.

The opportunity for 10 over the past year has been to ensure this difference was articulated - that our younger irreverent and authentic tone was reflected in our programming, championed by our staff and embedded in every aspect of our business from creating promos to how we manage an unexpected change in a channel name.

We are definitely BOLD not BOSSY.

For 10, the new era has forced a change in strategy, some of it “back to the future” with the under 50s audience. What we have demonstrated so far is the value of alternative programming, and validated what many believed was our biggest challenge over summer.

We also know that changing tack takes time. We appreciate that in this business not all things work, or work immediately. Our plan is long term and with our current ownership now has that benefit.

So, while 10 has undergone some radical changes over the past year, television as an industry is going through significant change of its own.

And new TV is better than old TV.

As Kim has outlined, this is a really exciting time in television.

And let’s set the record straight, when I say ‘TV’, I’m talking about new TV. It’s not the same as old TV – it’s better.

New TV is all about bringing the best content to audiences in the way they want it.

It’s finding new ways to engage on all screens, and beyond the screen. It’s continuing the conversation well beyond the broadcast.

Lisa Wilkinson’s ‘Keeping Women Safe’ segment on The Project following the tragic murder of Eurydice Dixon reached 8.1 million people, received 5.6 million views with 628 thousand reactions, comments and shares. This is a fundamental shift in how people engage and view our content and how our industry, broadcast television, has the power to generate these audiences.

The Honey Badger’s use of Tim Tams to describe The Bachelor selection process, which reached 4.6 million people on Facebook alone, is another great example of what each of our networks can do to light up media and social media in positive ways.

Clever ideas between broadcasters and advertisers for brand integration can be so very powerful when we get it right.

And it’s one of the reasons why 10 needed to adapt, to reflect that change and reshape our business accordingly, with a clear focus on how we could improve the experience for viewers and increase the opportunities for our clients and agency partners.

We’re investing in more entry points into the 10 ecosystem and we’re investing in making sure audiences have a good time when they’re in it.

We launched 10 All Access in December last year, a plan to reach cordless audiences who view our content in a different way.

Our look and feel has changed, unifying and expanding our portfolio of touch-points, making our brands more distinctive, giving them stronger cut-through in a hyper- competitive media sector to ensure greater consistency – a family of brands.

The last rebrand was 27 years ago. Bob Hawke was PM and Bryan Adams was number one in the charts with ‘Everything I Do, I Do It For You’ - it was clearly time!

Very soon we launch 10 Speaks, an audio business that includes podcasting – another product to engage the cordless audience and bring them into the television eco-system.

All of this supports 10 Daily, our news, current affairs and lifestyle site, along with 10 Play, our long form BVOD platform.

Both are showing significant growth in traffic, just as you see across the Seven and Nine platforms.

BVOD is growing dramatically and our investment in this area is critical to ensure we reflect the change in audience habits and advertising opportunities.

Now, all this activity is great but it’s only as valuable as our ability to measure it, prove its effectiveness for advertisers, and monetise it so that we can continue to reinvest in even more content and platform innovation.

Data is at the heart of both our sales and viewer propositions in this brave new world. Member-gating powers a more positive user experience and we now know what people are watching and when. We know what they move on to and the interests they share, providing clients with segments rather than demos, enabling us to deliver targeted solutions for advertisers and personalised experiences for consumers.

No matter what data strategy you have, you must invest in content to attract the audience.

TV is united in our passion for entertaining Australians

Television in this country is making more local content than ever before, in our case 35+ prime time local productions this year alone with more to be announced.

We are particularly proud of the success of our own Pilot Week showing we are willing to think differently with a truly innovative way to engage viewers and involve them in deciding which shows go to air.

As broadcasters, we need to be brave with our programming for it to pay dividends. Despite what some media may say, we were thrilled with this year’s season of I’m A Celebrity , growing its audience year on year.

Our friends at the other networks also continue to prove that FTA can generate huge audiences on linear broadcast, let alone online.

What we sometimes forget is that when all three FTAs have large franchise programming, the total audience watching TV lifts significantly and everyone benefits with more eyeballs in the ecosystem.

While fierce competitors, the competition for eye balls is not just with each other.

The decline in linear TV viewing also continues to be overstated using outdated overnight audience metrics.

It’s like measuring the retail industry by counting the footfall in stores. Consumers will shop the way want to, when they want to.

We’re not really seeing the whole picture yet. This year we will see for the first time the real size of the audience with Total TV ratings and VOZ.

Yes, there is some drop in casual viewing – people do not watch a second repeat of NCIS like they use to – but prime viewing, big noisy event television is going strong.

Fragmentation of our audience’s viewing habits is sometimes framed as a bad thing. On the contrary, this is making TV stronger by propelling our content across more screens and channels.

This fragmentation allows us, if we are clever, to grow and evolve our presence beyond a linear broadcast, turning the viewer experience into a virtual water cooler as the conversation and interaction with formats continues well beyond a timeslot.

This means much deeper engagement than we could have ever achieved in the past.

Major franchises such as MasterChef , Married At First Sight and MKR are brilliant examples. You can see the ripple effect, a blast radius of engagement, a deep dive into the formats, their hosts, characters, back stories, and additional content.

TV is healthier and stronger and more culturally significant than ever before.

Sc ien c e, not opinion, must shape media spends but it is also more vital than ever to be the pillar of any media mix.

Let me put on my old CFO hat. Let me talk to those in procurement, those who sign off marketing budgets, who allocate funds and have a clinical view of media spend.

TV delivers the greatest ROI of any medium. Full stop. This is indisputable.

As Byron Sharp, Professor of Marketing Science at the University of South Australia, reminds us, there is a difference between campaign ROI and company return.

I really want to stress this point because ROI gets thrown around too much without a clear link to the most important metric: sales.

We see this in micro targeting which, as Byron Sharp says, ‘can boast of high ROI, largely because they are small, reaching people who had a high likelihood of buying anyway.’

Major brands globally and locally have learnt lessons from not getting the media mix right and this shift back to big reach, and accountable mediums, has curbed the wastage.

What’s more, it has provided a safe environment and avoided the opportunity of not spending where the sales are.

Respected studies are finally revealing what contributes to the success of TV advertising.

Careful consideration has to be given to the outstanding work by Professor Karen Nelson-Field, The Benchmark Series, The Ebiquity Payback Study, and the work of Ehrenberg Bass which brings science and hard numbers to marketing.

This is not about TV criticising other mediums. The more roads you drive into the consumer’s mind, the bigger your presence there. TV must always be the lead medium.

The reasons why the ROI is significantly stronger are many. But here are three reasons that must be considered before any dollar is spent on media.

Reason 1: 100% Screen Size

Professor Karen Nelson-Field proves that the size of the ad on screen is critical to the overall effectiveness.

When an ad is 100% visible, it equates to over 2x the sales impact of other digital platforms.

Reason 2: An Emotionally Primed Audience

Emotion is critical when increasing the effectiveness of advertising and brand building. In fact, ads which generate a high emotional response have a 2.4x greater sales impact than ads which elicit a low response.

Psychologists have shown that a more emotionally primed audience is more receptive to brands. And brands can be far more emotive through TV, both in the advertising they create and the emotionally charged and brand safe environments open for integration.

Reason 3: Cultural Imprinting

I’ve talked a little about the cultural impact of TV.

But there is growing consensus around the idea that advertising works best on the changing landscape of cultural meaning rather than trying to change one individual’s mind, which in turn changes how we are perceived by others when we use the product.

Put it this way, it matters that you know, with quite some confidence, that others have seen the same ad as you. A brand we choose says something about us. And getting the social validation of our brand choices that we all seek consciously or otherwise, relies on common knowledge.

And common knowledge is best created by mass scale media. TV is the master of this and will continue to be that way.

This kind of cultural scale is critical for brands and clearly shows that eyeballs are not all the same. How we see messaging and on what scale has a clear effect on the salience of the brand.

This is why brands that integrate and invest in sponsorships are winning against their competitors.

We know of major brands that did not invest as much in sponsorship, who are now returning. They have seen the loss of sales and market share because of it.

We also see the success of brands that build long term partnerships. Take MasterChef and Coles, a 10-year partnership that continues to evolve, finding new ways each season to strengthen the association and create mutual benefit.

So, at 10 we are thrilled to now be part of a global TV corporation. And while our industry has challenges, and frankly it always will, what we do know is that premium Australian content including News and Sport, remains at the heart of television and is the lion’s share of video viewing in this country.

To finish, I want to remind you of four things:

1. New TV is better than old TV.

TV is adapting to viewing behaviour by distributing premium, brand safe content in new ways that will make buying easier, make advertising work harder and strengthen our dominance as the best medium for return on investment.

2. Science, not opinion, must shape media spend

…to deliver the best outcomes for clients with no bias or agenda, where the mix of media is based on fact not fashion.

3. TV is united in our passion for entertaining Australians

…for creating brand safe platforms that are not shackled by one screen but set free to be enjoyed in ways that our viewers want.

4. 10 now has a clear role to play in this new era

…focused squarely on the Under 50s and supported by a reinvigorated brand, content strategy and ecosystem.

Thank you.

6 Likes

An admission that it was faked for product placement.

When an ad takes up too much space on my mobile phone screen it does not endear me to the advertiser - it makes me annoyed.

1 Like

What a wonderful speech devoid of any acknowledgement that their current batch of shows that were to get them into the second quarter of the year have tanked. They need to take responsibility and explain what they’re doing to rectify it.

1 Like

Probably not the right forum to do that in considering he was just a keynote speaker at an event. Not like it was a 10 event.

3 Likes

I think a particular member of this forum would not be pleased at 10’s current performance, since 10’s not doing the best :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Fair enough but still, I feel like he did talk a lot about where Ten wants to be and why it should be there but not much about where it is at now. I understand that reality is sometimes painful to live with and speak about.

See, no they don’t - they’re not beholden to shareholders anymore… it literally isn’t anyone’s business (except for the staff) what upper management is doing to fix themselves up.

Ten is a subsidiary of CBS Corporation which is listed on the NYSE.

6 Likes

So? Ten itself does not have to report to any shareholder.

So Ten is responsible to no one. CBS shuffles money in and just let’s them get on with it regardless of the results? Yeah, sure.

8 Likes

I wonder if this interesting attitude to accountability is shared by senior management at 10.

1 Like

CBS’ main interest in Ten is that it is a sustainable business that allows them to continue generating fees made from Ten channels broadcasting their distributed content.

So why does CBS bother mentioning Ten’s advertising income in their quarterly reports?

2 Likes

Re-read what I said. At no point did I say that 10 was responsible to no one. I said that 10 doesnt have to tell shareholders, let alone any member of the public, their plans or intentions.

But they do that. Read the news section of their website. You appear to be saying they can be transparent when it suits them and that is satisfactory? People and businesses who gatekeep information like that don’t tend to do well.

2 Likes

Righto. I said they dont need to.

1 Like