Ten Network - Programs and Schedules

correct.

some people here dont understand.

2 Likes

It all depends on contractual limitations

Sorry are these premiere dates not known week’s in advance? Are you saying that information doesn’t trickle down? Every organisation is bureaucratic and has approval processes everyone complains about. Nothing new.

Why are they able to get social support for Bachelor but not other shows?

Not my point. I’m saying a social media editor (or whatever Ten calls them) would be mad to whip up a video promo themselves, outside of brand guidelines. Of course they should have had something up but your solution isn’t the right one.

2 Likes

If the file is a cut of what has been put to air (which presumably would be on brand given it has aired), and then trimmed for social (or a still from a pre-approved TVC) I really don’t see what the excuse is.

Because it’s not approved to go out on the social media channels.

It’s not like your personal Twitter or FB feed where anything goes. Everything has to be vetted and approved for posting.

I’m not saying it shouldn’t be done either, but your way is not right.

1 Like

I understand there’s a whole heap of red tape and branding/style guidelines that need to be followed at media companies but in this day and age, surely it’d make sense for most promos to be approved for both TV airtime and online/social media use wherever possible?

If Ten and the various production companies behind the primetime programs aren’t agreeing to allow for the most effective promotion of their content across both TV and social media, then something doesn’t seem right IMO.

1 Like

I understand approval processes and am not suggesting things can be posted without sign off.

The issue is why wasn’t anything posted and is it acceptable for a broadcast television network (in the ratings doldrums) to be using Twitter header images and Facebook cover photos to promote shows that aren’t on the air anymore? I don’t think so and there should be no excuse.

6 Likes

Commercial music tracks are a good example of why that doesn’t work.

1 Like

Just on the Facebook pages at least, Seven and Nine have seperate pages for main channel / 7Two and 9Go! / 7mate and 9Gem / 7flix and 9Life and post multiple promos and/or links to other posts on almost a daily basis.

Ten have a page each for main channel / ONE / Eleven but the latter two are used very sporadically and the content differs greatly to what the aforementioned networks post.

I wonder if Network Ten have been reading this thread? This afternoon the images have been updated to promote The Bachelorette!

OK, fair point about music clearance rights but surely alternative promotional measures for online/social media (such as static images) could be tried/implemented if re-posting the same promos that air on TV isn’t an option?

Again, I can’t stress enough that I want Ten to be a successful network as much as the next person on Media Spy because it’s good for viewers and the industry. But program promotion is just one of many areas Network Ten have lagged behind other networks in recently which needs to be addressed IMO.

2 Likes

Woah this thread has really exploded over something relatively minor.

I think the problem here was Ten’s small social team were spread thin over the weekend with multiple shows or events and a simple account banner or post from the main account was overlooked or not accounted for in rostering.

Their main social media producer (and likely others) were pre occupied with their Bathurst coverage with them seemingly beefing up the coverage and content across the Ten Motorsport, Ten Sport and Ten Daily channels over the weekend.

On a whole I think Ten have some of the best social media accounts, MasterChef, Survivor, Bachelor/Bachelorette etc all produce fantastic and engaging content and I regularly see praise for what they push out content wise from fans and industry personnel.

Whilst I don’t disagree that those simple things should have been updated in a more timely manner and a post or retweet on the main account would’ve been good - we know their current staffing situation and things are slowly improving there for the better.

All in good time people.

5 Likes

Yeah that never happens here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

What aside from Bathurst was on air over the weekend requiring extensive social support? If they can’t meet the demands of broadcasting live sport and normal programming they should go home.

1 Like

Does Ten no longer have the rights to Life in Pieces or is it on Foxtel now?

Even Speechless and Star?

1 Like

Okay expert :+1:t3:

Just because they didn’t have other extensive commitments on that particular day doesn’t mean things weren’t happening behind the scenes with Sunday Project, Sports Tonight etc. Then there’s the Survivor finale + reunion and Bachelorette starting this week and Blind Date, Ambulance Australia starting next week etc.

God Bathurst was on air for a mammoth 10.5 hours Sunday let alone the other coverage and content they put together for the rest of the weekend. Do you have any idea how much time and effort goes into producing content for these shows? As already mentioned it’s not as simple as tweeting a video that was made for broadcast tv.

You’re honestly making it sound like they didn’t have any promotion at all, the official shows were posting content across all channels all throughout the show. Like I said, I don’t disagree that they could’ve done better but it’s a small team (for now) and for the most part they’re fucking killing it on their other social channels.

I think this conversation is well and truly done.

1 Like

Thank you for putting words in my mouth. I’ll keep it brief – I low approval processes have to be followed and hoops have to be jumped through in most workplaces to get things done. I know social media doesn’t revolve around one product, service or show. You’re preaching to the converted.

I’m questioning why the main Ten social accounts didn’t promote Game of Games directly before or during the broadcast. You haven’t addressed that or answered it other than to say they’re busy and Bathurst. Unacceptable in my opinion. The other issue I raised was the cover photos promoting a show that had been off the air for 3 nights. It sat there all weekend while a new show was waiting to launch and could have used that promotional support. Both are inexcusable but credit where it’s due, I’m glad Ten decided to update the cover photos to promote the Bachelorette two days before it airs and 4 days after the Bachelor finished. Missed exposure sat in between sadly.

I think this all comes down to costs and how something could be promoted. Back when Nine were screening DOOL and Y&R, they never gave sneak peeks as to what is up in the next instalment, BUT yet WIN TV are… There may have been contractual restrictions on promotion.

Ultimately we can discuss here or Mock Schedules or anywhere else for that matter what a network does, all the networks are answerable to shareholders (and owners) at the end of the day and need to ensure they deliver the best possible ROI for those shareholders

My two cents on this, so much more to think about than just posting a TVC online. A TVC would be broadly targeted, where as (what is now commonplace for any advertising), there would be ads targeting smaller segments (male/female, ages, interests, dogs/cats - sound stupid but orgs try cater to everyone), which unless you looked at a friends feed of the page’s socials, you wouldn’t usually see it.

They could be slight differences (different clips) or a big one (whole different promo). I’m not saying Ten does this, but I am saying they would be retarded if they didn’t do this.

There are many things ten need to figure out before they try new shit though. They can’t even manage to mute a track before uploading so you got that “on Te-Win” promo ender.

it looks like the head of the network knows what’s happening, but each limb of the body doesn’t and chooses to do something slightly different.

one thing I would suggest is promoting the heck out of Dr. Phil since the resurgence it has gotten online and almost the meme status of it thanks to those trailer park trash kids. Capitalise on it and even get ten daily to have youtube style reaction videos.

2 Likes