Ten Network - Programs and Schedules

Christmas Day is winter in the UK. 90% are probably glued to the TV because they’re snowed in.

5 Likes

Totally. Was just showcasing how they show programs in the summer and on the biggest holiday of the year.

While the idea is commendable, I’m extremely sceptical that Ten are going to be able to pull off the concept of essentially scheduling “ratings season” programs 50 weeks a year when at the moment, there’s noticeable gaps in Ten’s schedule during the ratings season such as recently having to schedule movies as filler content on Sunday nights! When Seven, Nine and Ten can manage to adequately program their networks during the existing 40 ratings weeks every year, then we can go back to talking about filling the non-ratings period.

It’d probably be fair to say that Australia is more used to sport dominating the schedules of free to air TV (in both Summer & Winter, to be fair) than the UK and other countries.

Although we’re gradually moving towards a 24/7/365 world in many respects, in Australian TV (and for that matter, radio) I personally think there’ll always be seasonal breaks for Summer & Easter because the networks only have so much money each year to put into big budget programming and talent!

2 Likes

like 7 and 9?

Not true. Perth viewers will have the Eyewitness News at a normal time at 5pm as a 60 minute bulletin.

You do realise that @TV.Cynic often just posts schedules based on what Ten provides, or the other networks sends through?

Obviously it’s fine to highlight a possible error or schedule change that may not have been picked up, but perhaps watch the way you communicate this back.

7 Likes

Unfortunately for ten today’s race didn’t go for as long as they would’ve liked to feed into prime time. Most viewers will switch over now that presentation etc has finished and there 20 mins of padding until 6pm aedt.

2 Likes

Week commencing 14 October 2018

Sunday 14 October
07:30 pm Game of Games S1 Ep02
09:00 pm NCIS S16 Ep02
10:00 pm Elementary S6 Ep12
11:00 pm Elementary Rpt

Monday 15 October
07:30 pm Blind Date Series Premiere
08:30 pm Have You Been Paying Attention?
09:30 pm The Graham Norton Show Rpt
10:30 pm Sports Tonight

Tuesday 16 October
07:30 pm Ambulance Australia Series Premiere
08:30 pm FBI Series Premiere
09:30 pm NCIS: Los Angeles Rpt
10:30 pm TBA

Wednesday 17 October
07:30 pm The Bachelorette Australia
08:40 pm Playing For Keeps S1 Ep05
09:40 pm Madam Secretary Season 5 Premiere
10:40 pm Hawaii Five-0 Rpt

Thursday 18 October
07:30 pm The Bachelorette Australia
08:30 pm Gogglebox S8 Ep08
09:30 pm TBA
10:30 pm Blue Bloods Rpt

Friday 19 October
07:30 pm Living Room
08:30 pm The Graham Norton Show S24 Ep03 Guests: Whoopi Goldberg, Jamie Dornan, Rosamund Pike and Harry Connick Jr.
09:30 pm Have You Been Paying Attention? Rpt
10:30 pm TBA

Saturday 20 October
06:30 pm Territory Cops Rpt
07:00 pm Game of Games Rpt TBC
08:30 pm Ambulance x 2 Rpt TBC
11:00 pm Elementary Rpt TBC

It still gave Game of Games the best start possible. Though I wonder whether Ten want the show to succeed. Whoever is working in their social media department should be reprimanded as there was not one Facebook post or tweet last night promoting Game of Games. In fact the cover photos on both channels still refers to The Bachelor, which has finished airing. I would have thought promoting Game of Games, Blind Date, The Bachelorette or Playing for Keeps in that prime real estate location would have been a priority.

Why doesn’t it surprise me that Ten is not promoting new shows…

1 Like

True. I would have posted a “sneak peek” on their social media page, just minutes before the 7:30pm start time in NSW/VIC/TAS and do the same with the other “new” shows

It is really appalling. They’re probably paid a fortune but can’t manage engagement during a primetime broadcast, or before evidently.

Maybe they are using the Netflix approach like they did with the show The OA where they just randomly dropped it without barely any promotion. Netflix does this a bit and it seems to work… not sure if this method can work the same though with free to air ?

It can’t because even if there is little promotion you can see that a new show has dropped as soon as you open your Netflix. Also Netflix doesn’t have to advertise as much because people are already subscribed to them.

2 Likes

No chance of working if they randomly drop it, unless they want this show to fail. Ten need this to work, but they also need some original programs and possibly revive someolder concepts that worked, even if in the end mediocre extent. I feel Ten should, especially during the football season (AFL/NRL seasons) bring back Sports Tonight to Friday and Saturday nights - even if it was at the expense of the Sunday night edition.

I wonder if Ten management and CBS will try and have TEN go down the same road with daytime programming as CBS in the US - eg Game Show blocks during the day - someone suggested in Mock Schedules that WIN could try a game show block between 1:30pm and 3:30pm - that could work, or if they wanted to bring in an Afternoon chat show at 1pm, maybe screen a game show block 2pm to 4pm, with Judge Judy at 4pm

um, no. You’ll find that they are most likely under paid early 20 somethings with no support to get graphics made, promos cut or any real engagement targets on social media.

it seems to have all been poured into ten|daily.

Sorry no sympathy. They should know how to cut the promos themselves if another team can supply the files that get broacast on tv. Tools like Canva can be used to design quickly and easily. Maybe it’s my experience doing similar work in a charity but people need to show initiative. The idea that a tv network doesn’t use its social channels to promote a new launch, fronted by a Gold Logie winner – or engage with the community online during the premiere – is ridiculous. The network couldn’t even bring itself to re-tweet a tweet from Ellen Degeneres promoting the show.

1 Like

Why should they do or learn all this if Ten aren’t paying people to do it?

3 Likes

Just looking at Ten’s Facebook page there has been a fair bit of promotion for Game of Games. There is way more on the Game of Games official Facebook page where they have posted sneak peaks but seeing as only 1k people follow the page it’s probably not as effective.

1 Like

All very well but there’s massive red tape in media companies and style guides that have to be followed.

5 Likes