Ten Network - Programs and Schedules

JFC, get over it.

With all respect to everyone’s ideas/plans/ opinions I don’t think telling someone to ‘get over it’ is the right way to challenge anyone’s opinions.

I mean, people have different opinion regarding the same issue, it wouldn’t be fun for others to ‘get over it’ and be dismissed just because we don’t agree with one idea right?

3 Likes

Let’s hope Ten lobbies OzTam to extend the ratings periods to 50 weeks a year.

4 Likes

Or like you always say, don’t have a non-ratings period.

1 Like

Not sure I agree to be honest. 2 weeks over Xmas/New Years is fine. Most people aren’t chilling out infront of the TV and those that are will be watching Cricket. 50 weeks of premium programming is impressive and is more than any other network has really ever committed to.

Yeah, get OzTAM to stop switching the boxes off over Easter and Christmas …

Each to their own I suppose and I respect other’s opinions. But I still maintain my opinion that I think Ten should have competitive programming 52 weeks a year, especially after how they’ve lost the Big Bash and would have a harder time attracting new audience.

50 weeks/52 weeks. It’s a minor thing. Don’t know that we need to keep harping on about it. It was probably a throwaway line anyway.

They probably do mean throughout the whole year anyway. The two weeks at Christmas/New Years are probably the quietest for TV watching but they could still put an effort in to screen something decent.

4 Likes

Does anyone know any network in the world that runs super competitive, strategic premiere programming all year round and doesn’t have different strategies to run repeats or lower quality content when less viewers are watching television?

1 Like

A lot of countries do these days. The UK and US have been running premiere programming all year round. Sure, there are still repeats in the mix but they are screening more and more first run stuff.

The US has stuff like America’s Got Talent, Big Brother, The Bachelorette/Bachelor In Paradise, Masterchef, So You Think You Can Dance, American Ninja Warrior running over summer.

With streaming services like Netflix, new shows run all year round.

1 Like

For those who seemingly can’t remember, Ten actually used to do that just in summer, movies, et al. The only came across BBL cricket in 2013.

I came across some old YouTube videos, with one from summer 2009-2010 with the Ashley Judd/Tommy Lee Jones thriller “Double Jeopardy” (1999) promo on Ten.

But I’m sure they’ll have some first runs shows as well, let’s hope.

Without going too far into the ratings thread, how did they rate?

Most UK networks launch big shows over the summer. Big Brother, Britains got Talent etc. Christmas Day is the biggest episode of the year for the soaps.

Did what exactly? I just remember them airing repeats and us shows that were close to the axe.

Probably better 7 years ago than they would now.

That’s true but it’s a different market and different time of year. It’s cold and miserable so people sit around the TV.

Yeah I understand but they still air shows over their summer too. Its only really Australia that shuts down over summer. Not even sport dominates their FTA tv.

I might have missed something, or it hasn’t been announced yet, if it’s 50 weeks a year, then does that mean I’m a celeb will start 6 or 7 of Jan 2018?

Or do they have something else planned for the first couple of weeks?

I think you have over analysed the comment way too much.

@turdall once they can find a good programming option in that mid-December to late January period, then maybe it will again become a launch pad for the new year instead of networks waiting til February. As an example of how Ten used the Summer 1991-92, they launched Beverly Hills 90210 which introduced us to the likes of Shannen Doherty. That show went for a number of years and screened during the regular rating period, so it shows Ten can air first run premiering programs if it wants to.

Again if they can get great concept in the reality TV genre in December-January it could be ratings gold, maybe then they improve their overall. One thought is perhaps they could use one of their current realty TV shows and run it to say 23 December (which is a Sunday this year), then launch another reality program on Christmas Day night (or even Boxing Day)