Ten Network - Programs and Schedules

The news should air and it’s on at 6 because that’s when the race finishes. I don’t think it is acceptable for any credible news organisation to take a day off because of a car race? Or are you suggesting Sandra Sully anchor from the Mount in ad breaks throughout the day or something?

4 Likes

I’ll take news over any repeats.

2 Likes

Really? Well they would be better off airing something to attract viewers than a 1 hour of news -

Unless Saturday runs beyond 6pm, I have to agree, Ten will be smashed if they arent a point of difference

Or even try and get something express form the US to air - The Conners is another option to try and lure people to Ten

Why would you want imports over first-run content. News might not rate but it’s Australian content. If no one tunes into their news then no one’s going to tune into imports.

1 Like

God it’s one weekend, maybe a handful of times a year that Ten have and will run news outside of the 5pm time slot. They get crucified if they don’t have news on (rightly so) but then they make the right decision to run news following a major sporting event and it’s still not good enough.

9 Likes

I am just saying that there is an opportunity here and they arent grabbing it. Its easy to say there is nothing they could screen, which may be a fair call, but when they get opportunities, they need to be prepared with something - I know Saturdays are a graveyard, but it doesnt need to be - Even Family Feud (or Pointless) celebrity specials could have some appeal

From our POV there needn’t be a graveyard on Saturdays, but the networks clearly beg to differ because the audience have already voted with their remotes that they won’t watch anything else other than live sports. Simple as that.

As for your opportunity, that weekend is the best opportunity for their news service to be exposed to more viewers, but you would rather have a shortened version just to fit in some filler program? Probably the best way to waste that opportunity.

2 Likes

But isnt that what they are doing at 7:30pm anyway? just so they can air Ambulance at 7:30pm???

Can you clarify your comment please? I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make.

Agreed. News at 5pm is part of Ten’s DNA, just as News at 6pm is a strong part of the Seven/Nine Network brands. But for the sake of a few times a year, I don’t really care if the news has to be in an alternative timeslot due to sports coverage just as long as there’s a bulletin on.

Aside from obviously being a good promotional vehicle for the news service, I do think the networks have a responsibility to keep their viewers up to date about the other news happening that day because the world won’t stop for sporting events in Australia!

4 Likes

no news. Outrage.

news. Outrage.

I really do get confused by MS sometimes.

4 Likes

I take it as
no news → outrage.
news → worried.
Some people are worried that Ten News at 6pm will be smashed by Seven and Nine bulletins in Sydney and Melbourne.

1 Like

at least the news is there.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter… they get smashed at 6pm with anything they put there so might as well be news. It’s live and it’s local content and not repeats.

4 Likes

The bigger problem on Sundays has been The Project. It has performed poorly and is not providing the lead-in audience the 7.30 shows need to compete with Seven and Nine. The move to one hour news a few weeks back on Sundays has caused huge long term problems for Ten. My opinion is The Sunday Project must go from 2019 and the stripped reality needs to run from 6.30 or 7.

1 Like

Not really. It was a learned behaviour. Ten News originally screened alongside Seven and Nine. They were most successful at 6pm in the 80s. They made the switch to 5pm in 1992.

1 Like

According to an article on tv tonight, pointless has filmed enough episodes until January. They’ve filmed Xmas and New Years themed episodes as well.

They speculate that a decision moving forward will be made by the upfronts at the end of the month.

3 Likes

Jesus! That’s a lot :o

1 Like

Somehow I couldn’t imagine Ten allowing Mark Humphries to do a fortnightly satirical segment for the ABC’s 7.30 program if Pointless was definitely returning in 2019.

I’d be willing to predict that Ten might do a reboot of that familiar gameshow format, as per the rumours a few months back…

1 Like