Ten Network - Programs and Schedules

Tvtonight suggests Rove may host a Spicks and Specks for movies. They should just pull their finger out and get him to do Rove again. We need a proper tonight style show again.

3 Likes

Or bring back the original cast for Spicks and Specks?

1 Like

I somehow don’t think any of them would want to come back and do that again when they are all doing other things now especially Adam Hills who hosts a weekly show in the UK.

1 Like

Have to agree with you for once. And it would be like bringing back someone like Tony Barber if you revived Sale Of The Century … Initially it might do ok, but once the novelty wears off, then it would be another show and probably won’t rate as well as it once did.

Television in its entirety has a shrinking base due to other media types being available these days through the internet as well as the reasonably cheap cost of dvds/blu-rays. These factors make it essential for all media organisations to come up with fresh ideas instead of refreshing old dated concepts. It would be much like making different meals with pork… afteer a while, one gets sick of the same old, same old.

Keep things fresh and think outside the box. @TVHead mentioned doing Rove, again old idea, would it work, maybe initially… I guess it could work, if it was done in the same vein as Tonight Live was in the 90s and produce a 1 hour show either 4 or 5 nights a week with news updates inserted… But then again would Ten and Rove want to make that sort of commitment… probably not in my opinion anyway as there is not a lot of money around, especially after 10pm at night.

The problem is that all ideas cost money and the fact that the advertising pie is being carved up with more players wanting a slice. Cheap television ideas are being looked at, and with all of the ideas that come up, some good ones may fall by the side. Perhaps as far as Spicks and Specks go, its best to leave it in the past. Look at how Ten destroyed Good News Week. Turned it from a simple 30 minute show to a 1 hour show… plus a Saturday Night Lite show… And what was worse was it wasnt when variety shows were at their peak… Around the same time, Hey Hey Its Saturday was axed- demonstrating there was no longer an audience for such programs.

if you want to bring back an old show or develop a new conceptual program - you need talent, a great idea and money. At present with all networks, these three things are lacking.

1 Like

Yawn. Not so much about Rove but yet another attempt by networks to recreate the Spicks and Specks vibe. In the UK, where there’s clearly more access to talent, they seem to churn out these type of shows really easily but in Australia they inevitably flop.

5 Likes

Have u even read the premise of season 10? The Roseanne Character will be a trump supporter, but her sister Jackie won’t be… so there will be playing that angle. The division in families with Trump supporters and taking a dig at Hillary clinton (yay)…

I do remember Roseanne being in the 7pm timeslot… on Ten bAck when i was really young. i DO REMEMBER in the later years in the last year or so of the show in 1997 it did air at 8pm alongside new seinfeld episodes at 7.30pm. I could have my memories mixed up , buit I am pretty sure the new eps were on Wednesday nights…
Spoilers if you want to know

Darlene will be divorced from David. Due to contractual Obligations with CBS and The Big Bang Theory, Jonny Gelacki can only appear (appeared in one episode).
To address the death of late actor Glenn Quinn (who passed away in 2003) they have actually killed off Mark in the series, but they will be adressing this in other ways. E.G Darlene and David’s named after Mark,
after his uncle. Racism is yet again addressed in this series, as it was when DJ refused to kiss a black girl in an episode run. He served in the military and has a daughter who is African American.
Sounds like there’s going to be social commentaries too to address the divide in the US with the current presidency. Should be good, but I liked how it done it in the past too.

1 Like

I think it’s quite a timely show. Will (hopefully) be able to expose all viewpoints of the current political divide.

I thought it was always on Tuesday nights with The Simpsons on Sundays and Wednesdays

1 Like

Week commencing 4 March 2018

Sunday 4 March
Brisbane, Perth
05:00 pm Ten Eyewitness News
Adelaide
05:30 pm Ten Eyewitness News

06:00 pm Family Feud
06:30 pm Sunday Project
07:30 pm I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!
09:00 pm NCIS S15 Ep12
10:00 pm SEAL Team Ep6

Monday 5 March
09:00 pm Law and Order SVU: S19 Ep12
10:00 pm Law and Order SVU: Rpt

Tuesday 6 March
08:30 pm Hughesy, We Have a Problem Ep5
09:30 pm NCIS: Los Angeles Rpt
10:30 pm NCIS: Los Angeles Rpt

Wednesday 7 March
08:30 pm This Is Us S2 Ep4
09:30 pm Madam Secretary S4 Ep12
10:30 pm Hawaii Five-O S8 Ep12

Thursday 8 March
09:00 pm Gogglebox S6 Ep5
10:00 pm Blue Bloods S8 Ep4
11:00 pm Blue Bloods Rpt

Friday 9 March
07:30 pm Living Room
08:30 pm The Graham Norton Show
Guests include: Will.I.Am, Imelda Staunton, Cuba Gooding Jr. & George Ezra.
09:30 pm TBA x2

Saturday 10 March
06:00 pm David Attenborough’s The Himalayas
07:00 pm Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011)
08:45 pm Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994)
10:30 pm 48 Hours x 2

I can promise you it will flop. Australians have zero interest in this type of American family on TV.

Bondi Rescue double episode premiere Tuesday March 13 at 7:30pm.

Basically confirming I’m a Celeb finishing up the night before.

3 Likes

You could be right jb76. It did move move around, but definetly remember the seinfeld roseanne line up.:grinning:

Graham Norton will air 7.30 Wednesdays once Celebrity wraps up for the season. With This Is Us as a double episode on/from March 14. Not sure where Madam Secretary will end up.

Moving Graham Norton around the schedule again to fill empty programming blocks is not a good strategy,

Surely they’d have something else that they could put there… Bodyhack has been sitting on the shelf for what, a year now?

2 Likes

Agreed. I think Graham Norton should be permanently on Friday nights, unless there is something special on that night that prevents it from screening there.

Does it mean Bachelor in Paradise will air on Sunday and Monday nights instead of Wednesday/Thursday nights?

Perhaps they should look at either one off specials or maybe some Russell Coights All Australian Adventures (even if its old episodes to fill the hour if the new series isn’t ready)… Alternatively, maybe look at something coming soon to Ten if something suitable is available. I am sure there is something they could try in that timeslot instead of Graham Norton… Perhaps even All Star Family Feud would better suit the timeslot

Wasn’t quite sure where the best place to put this was, but as I mentioned in the BIP thread I just recently listened to Osher’s podcast chat with Ten Executive Hilary Innes.

I’m not sure if this was ever public knowledge at any point and I’m sure this happens all the time for the networks but during the chat Osher mentioned that after Australian Idol wrapped up and just before he left for the US, he and James Mathieson actually filmed a pilot for a local version of Saturday Night Takeaway which was never commissioned.

He mentioned that he still would love to do the show now and reckon’s Ten should pair him with Grant Denyer to host it together.

Yeh Saturday night takeaway was picked up by seven I thought but they never put it to air or even shot a pilot from what I heard.

Must be starting soon because The Sydney Morning Herald had an advert for The Guide on Monday and it has Todd on the cover.

1 Like