Ten Network - Programs and Schedules

Why Foxtel? Does Foxtel have a Fox deal already? Just wondering why you say Foxtel will be the only option… what about free to air channels?

Supernatural 12 seasons coming to Stan on Oct 20 . Would it be that surprising if Stan got the latest season …

Amazon has global rights to This Is Us does that mean they could air the newest season in Australia?

I mean is it possible for a streaming company like Stan to do a deal with Fox ? Or is that unlikely .

They have certain shows that Ten have not wanted and onsold to Foxtel and they also have contracts to screen repeats after a certain period. If Ten won’t sign a new contract and no other FTA willing to sign one, Foxtel is the only option for new shows.

This Is Us and Modern Family could be two shows that Ten or a FTA network might want to pick up in a new deal.

1 Like

Does Foxtel air repeats of Bob’s Burgers and New Girl? Edited : Google says Fox 8 . :frowning: . Though with Supernatural i can’t see anything online about it being on Foxtel. I’ve asked Stan if their pickup of the show Seasons 1-12 includes the latest season.

Have a look at their website. Google is your friend.

1 Like

Yep edited post above saw straight away they are on Fox8 as repeats, Supernatural didn’t show up though.

The last season screened on Fox8 from May 2016.

Supernatural is a Warmer Bros show and has nothing to do with Fox.

2 Likes

Is the half billion that was owed to cbs and fox based on past purchases or did that include the minimum spend on their upcoming few years of fox and cbs content?

I assume all future deals need renegotiation… so cbs is a given, but Fox is certainly not.

I’d say that’s the whole contract. It’s a pay as you go arrangement. Once they stopped paying, they are not being supplied any more programs.

Another screw up by Ten as usual. Hopefully when CBS takes over, they can offer a fair price to satisfy both parties.

1 Like

Consider the source. The comment from Fox about Ten not offering enough was clearly a reference to the period just prior to administration when they were in discussions to renegotiate the expensive output deal. Based on ratings, there would only be a few Fox shows that any FTA network would be interested in on any channel, so Fox may find itself in a position of their shows not being shown on any FTA network in Australia.

Meanwhile Eleven was the number one multichannel last night in all younger demos.

1 Like

Ten’s in limbo temporarily.

But I think the bigger picture is that Fox wanted a network, which looks set to fail. And the consolation isn’t a deal for a wide range of their programs (like they had) but rather an offer for a couple of their best. Plus CBS will want the content on all-access which Foxtel won’t want.

Channel 9 has also said they don’t want a wide deal but would talk about the best shows.

I reckon Fox is rethinking their future and ten is unlikely to be part of it. Perhaps they’ll buy another network, or try to create a Fox network on a multichannel through a partnership. (Perhaps Fox11 is possible?)

This was a legacy of the days when all three Australian networks were trying to outbid each other to secure exclusive contracts with overseas studios and networks and inflated the fees to unrealistic and unsustainable highs.

When the popularity of overseas content was going off the boil, Nine and Seven were smart enough to drop their contracts or renegotiate the prices. The difference with Ten was that CBS and Fox were part owners and program suppliers. So, it was not in their interest to drop their fees and probably a conflict of interest because this contributed to Ten going broke.

CBS has written off a lot of that debt as new owners. Fox still want Ten to uphold that original contract. They may be stubborn enough not to renegotiate a new contract with Ten for a cut price, so Ten are in a hole at the moment.

1 Like

The ‘good’ bits may already have been purchased by other outlets by then. Why would Fox wait for Ten to be able to do a deal if, say, SBS Viceland puts in a decent bid for The Simpsons? (Not saying they would, but they did buy Batman, so anything is possible with SBS).

That article actually says that Ten have been trying to renegotiate with Fox to cherry pick the shows they want but Fox have rejected the offers presented.

Who is Bart mooning? Lachlan Murdoch :smile:

6 Likes

Considering it’s a NewsCorp paper/website, I’d say that was a not so subtle stab at Ten.

5 Likes

Let’s hope that 's the best they can do to hinder the CBS takeover :slight_smile:

Wrong. Ten had “The Wonderful World of Disney” on Sunday nights in the mid-90s. They had a few other Disney-distributed movies as well at that time.

2 Likes

When Mediaworks in NZ went into receivership in 2013 it had a content deal with 20th century fox. Like Ten it wanted to renegotiate it and turn it into a cherry picking arrangement which Fox was against and Mediaworks dropped its Fox content.

A new deal was eventually struck but TVNZ managed a new deal later on with 20th Century Fox so Mediaworks lost a lot of that content again.