Paramount Australia & New Zealand

Paul Anderson doing his best to deflect concerns about the company’s financial viability during the presentation.

1 Like

What’s this transformational process? Who is this mysterious chief transformation officer they’ve hired? Can only imagine what this is going to entail. A further deterioration of the network no doubt.

I cant see that happening… yes local news may stop broadcasting from ATV10, but the station can still produce cheap programming such as The Project and ‘HUBPA’

There’s more chance that Eleven/Children’s programming being shut down in Brisbane, and potentially moved to Sydney or Melbourne.

1 Like

As much as I absolutely do not want further Network Ten programing cutbacks of any kind, I know what I’d choose first between cutbacks on original programing for Eleven and axing local news services.

I also really do not like speculating about program cancellations because we are talking about people’s jobs here but out of all the non-Neighbours local programing on Eleven, I’d have to say that The Loop is probably the one most in danger of the axe next.

Network Ten will still need to produce and air C/P classification programs to meet it’s licence obligations somewhere, but I won’t be overly surprised to see a gradual move away from in-house productions and a shift towards more co-productions with external companies if that helps cut back on costs. In any case, I would certainly prefer NOT to see headlines like “Axed: Totally Wild” or “Axed: Scope” on TV Tonight in the near future.

3 Likes

agreed. these shows in particular are some of the best programming for older kids out there.

on the subject of a national news service they pretty much already do this on the weekends and it is why i don’t watch 10 news on the weekend (and i only watch it on weekdays because it’s on at 5 and than switch to channel 7).

One of the major problems with TV in australia is that there is no event or must see tv. there is nothing that makes you feel left out of the conversation if you don’t watch.

theres also no balls in new formats. even stuff tried overseas that works. i’m thinking primarally of mock the week (which would work well here) and the big reunion (which would be expensive to produce to begin with but the accompanying tour could make quite a bit of the production costs back)

5 Likes

Shares down almost 20% today…

They could save cash and do what Prime did and move their playout to Media Hub. Considering major shareholder Bruce Gordon co-owns MediaHub, he could get TEN a discount price?

1 Like

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/youth-orientated-network-10-learn-youth-dont-watch-television-posting-232m-loss/

Haha

4 Likes

Might have been funny if Ten were youth-oriented but they gave that up nearly a decade ago.

6 Likes

Well that’s even worse. No one knows they aren’t a youth-focussed network.

2 Likes

But it’s just a piss take website. They probably have no idea about anything but clickbait.

3 Likes

Correct but it’s still funny.

Ten are still more youthful in terms of average age compared to the other networks.

There are people on my feed in Simpsons memes groups literally blaming the lack of 6pm Simpsons and Cheez TV on the network’s dire straits.

Probably 50% of people in my demographic would not have a clue about what Ten shows.

5 Likes

That is not something that is an exclusive Ten thing though, as it applies to all linear TV programming not being attractive to younger audiences.

7 Likes

Some great consultant-speak in this article

Anderson’s Network Ten to cut costs in ‘every dark corner’

A new transformation program — codenamed Blue Horizon — will start in the next fortnight, run for 18 months and attempt to recast the under-pressure broadcaster’s revenue opportunities and cut tens of millions of dollars from its cost base.

“It will be incredibly granular. It will be made up of hundreds of initiatives right across the ­business that start from revenue and go right down to reducing our postage costs. It’s extremely ­confronting,” Mr Anderson told The Australian.

Mr Anderson has appointed former McKinsey consultant Ivan Yu as the company’s new chief transformation officer to scour “every dark corner” of Ten’s operations to track down savings and help deliver the company from financial ruin.

3 Likes

And another 25% today.

10c here we come (again).

Look At the share prices for Ten!

1 Like

And not that long ago, it appreciated to nearly $1.50!

So will we see any results on this on TV? Presumably the news department?

It’s hard to imagine a widespread cost cutting spree having zero effect on screen… but apart from that we’re not psychic. We don’t know where this is going to end up. Even Ten’s own people are probably as much in the dark as we are.

6 Likes