Paramount Australia & New Zealand

Well WIN isn’t solely in Wollongong anymore, it exists in many regional markets. But back when I was a lad, it was only in Wollongong and I often revert to that - I blame old age!

The Washington Post speculating one scenario where Lachlan Murdoch, James Packer and Bruce Gordon buy Ten and the network is then on-sold to 21st Century Fox - ie. Rupert Murdoch bails out one of his offspring again.

1 Like

Quite humiliating for them again but a success for the big company overall again.

AAP story appearing on several news sites.

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/business/company/2017/07/18/ten-network-matter-back-in-court.html

2 Likes

Here is the age take on things, very interesting read. Anyone’s guess on who and how this will end.

1 Like

Potential 9 suitors for Ten:

Suggested parties:
Oaktree
Anchorage
CBS
Murdoch/Gordon

So Murdoch and Gordon might find it harder than they thought.

7 Likes

AFR reported yesterday that CBS executives in Australia looking over potential purchase of Ten.

Equity firm Lone Star are also mulling a bid.

It seems that surely out of 9 potential bidders there will be a sale of the network which will be good for viewers and Ten. Hopefully the winning bid is not Gordon and/or Murdoch.

12 Likes

And what if CBS buys Network Ten and then rebrands the channel as CBS Australia?

1 Like

Clearly the lesser of two evils.

2 Likes

¯_(ツ)_/¯

I’m just hoping Bruce Gordon and Murdoch don’t buy the Ten Brand and rebrand it as WIN, as I’m sure there’s still good Brand merits in the Ten name. Though if Ten is bought, their owners may have other intentions with the Brand currently, and what to do to make Ten financially stable again.

What ever happens, happens, but like most of us, let’s hope Bruce Gordon and/or Murdoch don’t buy the Ten Brand.

3 Likes

A typo somewhere?

3 Likes

It appears I’m going back on my own word already! Spotted, and fixed. :stuck_out_tongue: At least Ten are still able to operate like normal unlike in the early 1990s.

1 Like

I also would prefer that Gordon and/or Murdoch don’t buy any further into Ten and possibly take over.
I would hate it even more if an oversees conglomerate like CBS with no interest in Australia or Australian content take over and fill it with there own cheap shows. Do we really want 3 channel 11’s (or Ch 94 which I still have never watched) ??
I realize that there would be minimum Oz Content quota’s for the main channel, but it would probably end up just that and no more. My vote is to keep it Oz owned and operated if at all possible !!

2 Likes

Important to remember that Ten was majority owned by the former Canadian media conglomerate Canwest for 17 years without anyone screaming about foreign ownership.

15 Likes

I’m just hoping, and most of us are, that Bruce Gordon and Murdoch don’t take control, and that the new owners can do a better job at operating it well corporately and content wise as well. Foreign Ownership worked once without too much fuss, and it can again while still keep their Aussie image. Aussie owners would be great too. :slight_smile::australia:

2 Likes

You dropped this \

Ten were still able to operate though? It’s not like they went off the air. They just operated sans the excessive game shows.

Why would that be the case?

Viacom bought Channel 5 in the UK and beefed up local production, because it’s in their best interests to make money through a successfully rating TV network.

Murdoch is an American citizen, and gave up his Australian citizenship to expand his empire. Any notion that a WIN+News Corp bid is more “fair dinkum” than any other bid is crazy.

9 Likes

Not to mention Bruce lives in Bermuda.

I’m sure CBS will want to make money if their take over is successful and the only way to make money in Australian tv is to produce local content and lots of it. We have moved on from the danger of foreign investment in media. All the other private equity bidders are foreign anyway and they are not media companies so they would be more inclined to gut the place where as cbs is a big media conglomerate that know the value of scale and would invest heavily in content.

4 Likes

Surely CBS buying will be win win (no pun intended) as they will invest in local production and that can be used overseas on their own networks whilst they use their overseas product here as well.

5 Likes

And, just as importantly, no thought of changing the name of the network to Ten to Global.

1 Like