Paramount Australia & New Zealand

ACCC could find that even if the media laws pass that such a tie up could be anti competitive because of news corps overt controlling interests in foxtel, newspapers and Lachlans ownership of Nova.

As for the WIN branding… one would think they would ditch it in favor of the stronger ten brand. And could save themselves money by ditching it in regional areas and just become ten everywhere.

1 Like

One would hope that, whoever gains control of Ten, has the vision and infrastructure to take the network onto a new multi-platform level and in unexplored areas.

It’s not good enough in 2017 to just [ insert new drama / reality show here ]. FTA must change, fast.

7 Likes

Then Bruce may end up with Ten all to himself…

Oh now, stop with that logic thing…all evidence to date shows Bruce doesn’t think like that!
At the very least he’ll remove that hard-for-the…old-to-see transparent watermark thing and replace them with bigger, solid logos…(let the burn in commence!)

1 Like

If Bruce did take on the Ten network I’d be expecting Ten to disappear and WIN to be rolled out everywhere. After all, it’s clearly the superior brand according to Bruce.

5 Likes

Well then it sounds like you’re hoping it’s not Gordon (who sued his then affiliation partner to try and stop 9Now streaming), and not owners of newspapers & Foxtel (who were also very late to providing their services over the Internet and still have uncompetitive pricing).

4 Likes

Based on the Live streaming ratings, he could have saved himself some legal fees and not bothered. Regional viewers aren’t watching FTA streaming of metro channels - on-one is. They’re ditching FTA altogether and streaming other services.

3 Likes

I will just leave this here…

Oh god!!

1 Like

This happened yesterday and we already had it reported a few posts back.

3 Likes

FIRST.
ON.
MEDIA SPY.

FIRST.
FOR.
MEDIA.
ENTHUSIASTS.

16 Likes

But can Media Spy give me the latest on new Aldi discounts and locations?

I thought not.

11 Likes

Woops my bad… news travels slow here in Adelaide… :man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

3 Likes

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/outflanked-murdoch-and-gordon-face-a-race-for-control-of-ten-analyst-says-20170705-gx5a7b.html

…the takeover bid could also be squeezed by rival offers, as the “usual suspects” of venture capital begin to circle the “bargain” media asset.

“Ten is the chance of a lifetime, this will all be settled well before the media laws are changed,”

“Other interested parties couldn’t give a fig about Murdoch, Gordon and the media ownership laws, and in fact seeing them snookered is of great assistance to anyone interested in Ten.”

It’ll be really interesting if this was just a manoeuvre by Murdoch and Gordon to take control but they lose to someone else and their assets then become worthless to them.

6 Likes

It’s a pretty rubbish article tbh. It doesn’t give us a sense of exactly who else is looking at buying Ten, which I think is the most interesting part of the story. Some venture capitalists… but who? Usual suspects is a great line but utterly meaningless to anyone who has never paid attention to the sector before.

That being said, I hope they get it over Murdoch-Gordon.

9 Likes

Yeah I’d posted it before finishing reading it; you’re right it seems to be some speculation without any specifics.

Despite the market capitalisation being lower than short-term future suggests it should be, anyone looking to buy Ten would have to be wary of their conflicted shareholder (Murdoch) & the Fox licensing, as well as the general future profitability of commercial FTA TV, so who knows.

Ten’s viability depends on how well the purchaser harnesses Ten’s brand to spin it off into a successful online business IMHO. The brand is recognisable, iconic and therefore worth a lot, so there is the potential to make a lot of money if they play their cards right.

3 Likes

This is why CBS would be good. To create online assets to monetize the delivery of content. Ten need to be in the content business and as they stand are not generating anywhere near the content to make it in the online world.

But as mattock said…anyone other than Gordon or Murdoch would be good for ten.

8 Likes

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/murdoch-reboot-channel-10-24-hour-live-stream-miranda-devine-thinking-aloud/

It’s not even that much of a stretch… :pensive:

1 Like

I think the biggest hurdle for a potential buyer is that they will have to deal with Bruce and WIN. With WIN broadcasting TEN content to over 90% of regional Australia, or over 33% of the total Australian population, TEN can’t effectively expand their brand, particularly in the online space, without at least a little cooperation from WIN - which is going to be even harder to achieve than under normal circumstances if Bruce is pissed off about being blocked from purchasing TEN.

4 Likes

Yes, I agree; I can’t imagine BG not being a problem.

Trying to make more of Ten’s brand won’t be easy; the brand has already suffered two big hits over the past year: The current financial crisis plus Ten branding disappeared from so much of the country in July 2016 with WIN becoming their affiliate, and the brand is about to disappear from Northern NSW (with WIN’s recent purchase of Ten affiliate NRN from Southern Cross Austereo).

Plus - given WIN’s failed lawsuit against 9Now streaming - I wonder if any streaming restrictions are in the WIN/Ten affiliation agreement.

1 Like