Paramount Australia & New Zealand

God I hope you are right. WinNINE Adelaide was bad enough. They way they cut and took he heart out of the place was horrible!! Win10 would be horrible!!

3 Likes

Media Diary in The Australian quoted an anonymous Canberra expert: “Hanson has moved. She’s prepared to deal; at least she’s opened the door to have conversations with the government”.

1 Like

try living with channel win as a 10 affiliate big blue intrusive map one and eleven are bold and in colour as win 11 and win one win 11 bold and pink and win one same and green looks horrible

2 Likes

Exactly; since WIN’s owner obviously thinks these huge in-your-face intrusive logos are needed to help ratings (???) since losing the Nine affiliation (although he also had them on Go! & GEM back before Nine rebranded them 9Go! & 9GEM), you know that if he gets control of Ten, that’s the sort of thing we’ll see… perhaps even rebranding Ten as WIN (I wouldn’t put it past him).

1 Like

Let’s hope CBS buy ten, yes probably more American content buts it’s better then a Newscorp run ten or a National WIN Network

8 Likes

I don’t see why CBS would bring more American content though.

Any eventual buyer will evaluate the market and determine what formats will return Ten the best outcomes. If CBS see that audiences value local reality and scripted content, they’ll invest in that. The upside to CBS owning Ten would be cheaper filler for multichannels and non-primetime hours, which might help Ten more readily afford to invest in peak content.

The only thing I really hope CBS brings to the table (if they really do end up buying Ten) is the protection of local news services and a commitment to providing more of it both on traditional TV and new age digital outlets. Thus far Ten is behind Sky News when it comes to an online presence.

7 Likes

This plus additional quality News bulletins would be great!

3 Likes

I think they will make cut backs, to the detriment of Aussie productions and the void will be filled with more CBS content.

True, although I wouldn’t understand why. US content is rating worse now than ever before. There’s little money in it.

1 Like

You’d hope they would value it then rather than a case of self-interest with supporting their own product and trying to rebuild it in Aus.

How much Australian content could they cut and still meet Australian content requirements? I’d had thought they’d have to be pretty close to the limit as it is.
If Ten were bought by CBS, it may even increase the international distribution of Australian shows since they would want to get as much value from the programming they are required to produce. That would be good news for the local industry.

3 Likes

Look at CBS Corp, not CBS the network. I don’t see why you’d assume they’d shutter lots of local content.

1 Like

On the multi channels yes. But if they want the revenue that comes with ratings they would need to keep australian content as that’s the only thing that rates. CBS is a big media company that understand economies of scale and would bring that thinking to ten. They also have a great news division. It would be safe to say that they’d keep much of prime time Australian content as that’s what rates and therefore that brings revenues.

1 Like

Agree, CBS television would not be buying anything, it would be CBS Corp. Given the number of products they own that are currently on Ten, it would certainly make a big change to the expenses part of the budget. Shows like Dr Phil, Judge Judy, ET etc - the money saved would hopefully be available for Australian production.

It might be interesting to see if they would still want to let 60 Minutes stories to be on-sold to a competitor.

That’s wishful thinking. While in such a scenario they would want to make Ten as profitable as possible, they also need to maintain their profits in the others sections of their business. Ten are not going to get CBS content for free under any arrangement because that would result in tens of millions of dollars of lost revenue for CBS’s US operations.

That said there would be some benefits - higher profits for Ten would be a benefit to CBS, so what would happen is shows that rate poorly would be dropped rather than still being shown because Ten have a contract that they can’t get out of for the whole season - CBS would have the flexibility to drop shows than rate poorly and replace then with shows that rate better. They would also be able to show more CBS content on all channels (probably mainly the multichannels) since given ADDITIONAL content for free (or a low price) would save them the expense of paying someone else for content.

1 Like

Shonky Pty Ltd

3 Likes

Let’s hope the accc finds grounds for wrong doing :stuck_out_tongue:

A Win controlled network would be the best outcome. At least we know they’ll invest in news and Australian content as a strategy to come back.

People worrying about a giant mappy going national - I dont think Pyrmont would let that happen. Win would want a good looking channel and with better equipment why wouldn’t they be able to deliver?

1 Like
1 Like

That’s funny :joy: If WIN gets their hands on ten, Mappy will be invading no matter what!

2 Likes