Paramount Australia & New Zealand

I’d go so far as making it a blanket ban on owning FTA and subscription TV. It’s a conflict of interest owning both as content will move too freely off FTA and onto FOXTEL.

5 Likes

Split the bill and the 2-from-3 is DOA

The only way it would get through in the future is to again join it to another consession

1 Like

3-out-of-4 is better than the current bill, but it may allow too much concentration, particularly in regional areas where there already aren’t as many broadcast voices on radio, nor multiple newspapers, etc., so I’d rather keep the 2-out-of-3 rule.

1 Like

There would still be the 4 voices per market rule - there’s no talk of removing that.

I was thinking of how few radio stations, local TV news services & newspapers there are in many regional areas compared to say Sydney/Melbourne/etc., so - for example - letting News Corp own Foxtel, the local radio station, & one FTA TV network would just leave the newspaper (assuming one still exists).

Yes there’s the Internet but thanks to this government’s promised ‘faster’, ‘better’, ‘cheaper’ ‘NBN’ that’s slower, more expensive & still not arrived in most places, it’s very limiting.

I’m not concerned about the large capital cities, there 3-out-of-4 is fine.

2 Likes

[quote=“TV-ACT, post:500, topic:590”]
For example - letting News Corp own Foxtel, the local radio station, & one FTA TV network would just leave the newspaper (assuming one still exists).
[/quote]thats exactly what the 4 voices rule prevents. It says that there have to be 4 different media owners between radio, tv and newspapers. That why SCA had to sell the AM stations in places such as Roma, Emerald and Mt Isa amongst others. As far As I’m aware there’s no plan to remove this rule,

2 Likes

Completely agree with your post, I really don’t think anything less than the 2 out of 3 rule outside of metro and major regional areas would be suitable

There simply isn’t the diversity or competition outside of these areas as it is

2 Likes

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/companies/kordamentha-place-newspaper-ads-in-search-for-ten-network-buyer/news-story/dda7fa488c594689a0ef25b869a29ebd

KordaMentha, the administrator of Ten Network, is placing ads in national newspapers to seek a buyer for the company.

Advertisements calling for expressions of interest in Ten’s assets have been booked to appear in newspapers tomorrow.

The call for interest comes ahead of the first meeting of Ten’s creditors, which is scheduled for June 26 in Sydney.

2 Likes

I’m positive hay someone will buy it. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Have they listed it on Gumtree yet?

11 Likes

It amazes me that some of you here are actually taking a pleasure out of tens misfortunes . I hope one day it out realise that people are facing the prospect of losing their jobs if worse comes to worse. Believe me I know when my ex employee when into administration and couldn’t find a buyer it was super stress full time for me. So please be considerate that this situation is not funny, I’ve lived it.

7 Likes

An interesting take from a former CEO whose network nearly went into receivership 5 years ago.

1 Like

I Support the 3 out of 4 Rule.

I thought it was all too suss from the start.

9 Likes

That 3 out of four rule should stay, if it goes no doubt murdoch will swoop in and probably gut the network.

Its interesting that the shareholders asopciation isnt allowed in the meeting to rep the shareholders. Considering its their investment at stake, why shouldnt the ASA be allowed in the meeting.?

Something is brewing.

1 Like

There are definitely shenanigans going on that’s for sure - the revelation that the administrator met with Ten nearly a dozen times prior to their appointment will raise flags as well.

I’m backing a Gordon-owned Ten with some sort of deal with Foxtel for content/outsourcing News and Sport - Murdoch Jr might retain a small investment

3 Likes

There definitely should be some investigation into the conduct by Murdoch and Gordon and if they deliberately made efforts to force a voluntary administration to occur.

3 Likes

News has just come to hand…

4 Likes

Reading that the image of News Corp’s black hand of death came to mind…(hopefully not).