Paramount Australia & New Zealand

RIP 1964-2017

10 Likes

Yeah they mentioned News would let Bruce Gordon take over Ten while they go after Nine.

1 Like

Yep, although I personally would’ve thought that Nine has more of an interest in Fairfax than News Corp!

2 Likes

Not sure if this benefits the Government nor Ten (or the industry), but I actually hope the laws/regulations stay put, at least for a while.

God forbid those media mogul billionaires owing Ten!

2 Likes

They already do?

4 Likes

Fully!

What’s your alternative?

1 Like

Media Watch claims an ex-Ten executive, the so called “insider”, said “Why would news buy the worst house on the street? That’s not their style”. Paul Barry took this as a suggestion that “News would like channel Nine instead” because they have the NRL rights. There’s no evidence that News Corp is interested in Nine. Perhaps they see News handing over control of Ten in exchange for Bruce Gordon’s shares in Nine?

6 Likes

Hugh’s photo looks eerily similar to the ‘DDQ Retrenchment Day’ video found on Youtube. Boss at the podium.

2 Likes

Honestly, Nine would probably be a good news partner. I couldn’t see them turning down the offer of $$$ for an hour of news on their lowly rated rival.

Thoughts of a bucket of shit and a whisk come to mind

1 Like

I think is there was ever a News corp takeover of Nine, ACCC might have a few objection regarding lessening competition in a number of areas.

While we don’t have proof, there is logic to the suggestion/speculation; for example Fox Sports & Nine both want the cricket & NRL rights, and who at News Corp wouldn’t want the higher rating Nine instead of Ten?

This is why the 2-out-of-3 rule needs to stay.

If that rule goes, I wouldn’t be surprised if right then Murdoch sells Gordon his Ten shares and Gordon sells his stake in Nine, pushing each to the 15% limit where they have to make a takeover bid.

I hope the government accepts the reasonable compromise of keeping the 2-out-of-3-rule & passes the rest of the media reforms, but time’s running out (last week of Parliament sitting before the winter recess isn’t it?).

2 Likes

It seems like most politicians are against changing the 2-out-of-3 rule so it unlikely to pass but some of the other media reforms are likely to pass.

But the govt won’t split the bill.

then it won’t pass. The LIbsNats don’t know the meaning of compromise.

3 Likes

I guess we’ll have to get used to more grovelling segments from Studio 10 then… bleh

4 Likes

Some of the bill is better than none. But honestly why can’t they pass what everyone agrees on. Then they can deal with 2 out of 3 later.

2 Likes

Stubbornness and blackmail because they’re worried about having trouble passing it later.

1 Like

It’s obvious that everyone agrees on abolishing the “75% reach” rule, hopefully the Coalition will have the smarts split the bill to keep the “2-out-of-3” rule in place to revisit at a later date (but I doubt it).

However, what are people’s thoughts on replacing the “2-out-of-3” rule with One Nation’s proposed compromise of a “3-out-of-4” rule that would allow control of three out of FTA TV, radio, newspapers, and subscription TV. This would keep the networks out of the hands of the Murdochs, but still allow other principal media companies to merge or expand.

2 Likes