Paramount Australia & New Zealand

You can expect this to be a big part of the story in the next few weeks and months.

In an interview this morning Michael Pascoe pretty much said Lachlan Murdoch has been stripping assets out of Ten since 2011 and this receivership is a strategic move planned by Murdoch and Gordon at this time to get madia laws changed for one of them to take over.

He also mentioned that Ten at this time are only $34m in debt and had until December to turn it around but it was Fox which was raising concerns about its contract with Ten, which instigated the receivership.

8 Likes

Nine’s $3 billion debt crisis - 5 years ago; makes Ten’s debt look like pocket money.

10 Likes

Back when Ten has financial problems in 1990.

Report from Channel Nine’s A Current Affair on the voluntary administration of rival Network Ten after its biggest shareholders walked away from a $250 million dollar loan.

Nine News Sydney - Network Ten Placed into Voluntary Administration (14.6.2017)

3 Likes

from ‎Kieran Bramich‎ on Compuglobalhypermeganet fb

19 Likes

A history/opinion piece on the ABC News website:

5 Likes

TEN’s location in Sydney must be worth a mint given all the development around it. Sure, it’s a drop in the ocean compared to it’s debt, and then there are costs associated with moving, laying cables (remember Manly?), and building something that’s fit-for-purpose, but I wonder if the new owners might consider selling up as an option.

Do they actually own the studios or just lease the space?

Ultimo will be the first thing to go.

What’s in Ultimo?

Sorry, mental freeze. Pyrmont

2 Likes

Good article from Tony Boyd in the AFR.

Apparently Ten were phoning 21st Century Fox’s President of International Distribution “several times an hour” last week with no response.

NB/

Ten have had a long-time deal with Fox, notably The Simpsons and movies.

5 Likes

From memory Pyrmont is leased.

Good question. I don’t think they do?

Como In Melbourne is obviously not.
Also, I don’t believe Adelaide and Perth are.

Brisbane studios are, and will be for another 50 years.

^
Oops… if a mod could please paste this link in my last

I think this what they’ve been saying in the media about Ten’s assets being stripped. Like a lot of companies these days, they probably no longer own their offices (studios). They lease everything.

They could give the Brisbane studio’s back to the Brisbane City Council/NPSR for forest rejuvenation and move to a smaller office in the CBD, South Bank or West End? Perhaps they can only afford Caboolture or Beenleigh though.

1 Like

They house the transmission facilities for digital TV and radio plus several FM stations so the site would still be needed.

1 Like

Very interesting to read that Lachlan Murdoch threatened to sue all the directors of Ten if they went ahead with a recovery plan.

Conflicts Emerge Over Ten Collapse
Ten Network creditors will meet for the first time with administrators in Sydney next Monday as questions are being asked about the way the company went into administration on Wednesday and the roles of two major shareholders, Lachlan Murdoch and Bruce Gordon. Speculation has centred on the two billionaire shareholders possible buyers of Ten if it goes into liquidation.
http://www.sharecafe.com.au/sharecafe.asp?a=AV&ai=44383

2 Likes

Aren’t the assets the TV licenses themselves? They are what makes the money.

I think with the renegotiated TV deals and some prudent spending they will be able to refinance and re-list with new structures in place.

After all, they still generate $350m in revenue annually.