Paramount Australia & New Zealand

If it’s a case of Bruce Gordon or Lachlan Murdoch taking it over completely or having it shut down, most would give a billionaire the chance to turn it around.

I’d like to think Bruce Gordon would moderate his approach to broadcasting a bit for metropolitan markets (if he was to actually take over Ten, of course) because I’m sure Sydney and Melbourne viewers will not put up with those intrusive map of Australia “watermarks” and self-serving promos about how much of Australia they cover!

2 Likes

The other networks may want some content but they certainly won’t want to buy all of it like CBS & Fox have pushed (the package deals being part of the problem with current content deals); there just aren’t that many available broadcast hours on the other networks’ channels.
CBS & Fox would be better off renegotiating & accepting lower prices, but of course they’d prefer to keep their current deals even if it destroys Ten. I do wonder if one or the other’s content will disappear from Ten/One/11.

It looks like the LNP (& perhaps some corporates pushing for the media reforms) are being too stubborn, insisting on scrapping of the 2-out-of-3-rule and so may get nothing (at least in-time to help save Ten).
I hope the government see sense, submit the legislation to Parliament very soon, and accept keeping the 2-out-of-3-rule to get the rest through.

1 Like

Last time around the receivers essentially handed Ten over to Westpac Bank who i think were the most significant creditor. Westpac then led to Ten being sold off to a consortium of owners which included Canwest from Canada taking the largest share.

Receivership 2.0, should it occur, could see another foreign entity take an interest.

I can’t see how you could think that? Virgin Australia is predicted to have a strong turnaround soon?

Airlines are notoriously unreliable so predicting anything in that industry is a little silly. But yeah I don’t know if Virgin is doing too badly.

5 Likes

It will definitely survive. The licence will always be worth something to someone. There will always be someone who wants to use it to broadcast. It’s just a matter of how much they’ll pay - but if Ten’s in receivership and try to sell the licence they have to take whatever gets offered - they literally can’t afford to be greedy.

2 Likes

True, but to my understanding they are nowhere near receivership level like Ten is.

Poor old ch 10 interesting to see what happens.

1 Like

Such a shame it has come to this. Poor management has resulted in this. They needed to be more organized.

Shame no private equity has swooped in to turn the place around.

2 Likes

Perhaps an option would be to close down Eleven and sell off the rights to The Simpsons, Futurama etc to 7 who could use that content on 7mate. Pay out the CBS contract.
Move Neighbours back to Ten and axe Family Feud. Sub licence the Big Bash League for simulcasting on Fox Sports.

3 Likes

On all the Facebook posts about the ten financial situation why are all the top comments aimed at The Project and Waleed?
Is there a massive hate group towards him?

some people don’t like liberals, or muslims or minorities on TV.

7 Likes

People bag the news and the project but they actually rate better than most of the shit on ten. They never played to their strengths. They don’t know how to promote. They had the wrong people in their running the place. That hamish McLennan guy started off pretty well then he fucked up and left the place.

For a place that still reels in $400 million in revenue something must be said for a market capitalization of $59 million. They’ve done things so wrong

9 Likes

Though a buyer can spend probably well over a year being in breach of ownership laws - waiting for it to make the way through Parliament.

I wonder if we could see the affiliation flip around - Ten become a WIN affiliate, with WIN taking over some of the more viable deals and dumping the rest?

2 Likes

Yes, or at least a concerted effort by far-right Facebook groups to keep slamming Ten.

I’m a member of a group based out of my uni which had a significant swing to the right after the Trump election. Half of them go off tits whenever a story about Waleed hits a frontpage or there is a terrorist attack (because both are equally deserving of outrage, apparently).

3 Likes

would a breach be permitted though? I’d have thought that the law needs to be enforced as is, you cant assume the new rules will pass intact

1 Like

Well the precedent is there with the handling of 2CH - you’d make a purchase of Ten and then pretend you’ll take action to get out of the breach situation, do nothing for a year, wait for the ACMA to threaten to write a strongly worded letter.

5 Likes

lol /pol/ browsing edgelords

But yeah, these types of people love to brigade the fuck out of any individual or business that wrongs them by dare not following their exact opinion.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more “they’re broke because they cancelled 6pm Simpsons” rants that came up the last time Ten’s financial woes hit the media.

5 Likes

I noticed the same thing on various other forums including Hotcopper (stock market forum) and even Whirlpool (IT forum).

Political leanings aside, the show is a serial underperformer and should’ve been axed or moved years ago.