Ten News First Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Meh it’s the same with many news orgs, even papers. They all have official beats, but are free to pursue any story they want. If it fills space and readers/viewers will like it, the bosses have no reason to turn down a good story.

1 Like

I’m not saying it doesn’t.

I think it’s pretty obvious that Ten have not had the staff or resources to assign specific rolls for their reporting team. Whoever is rosted on that day, usually coveres it.

I think in the last few years Ten Melbourne have only had around 8 reports (between news and Sport) compared to a team of 26 at Seven and Nine.

4 Likes

Quite stark isn’t it. It really has been a horrific situation for them. Good to see it slowly changing.

1 Like

and yet TEN have consistently put out a superior product every day.

Yes, with caveats… but still.

7 Likes

Ouch. Toasty.

If you ask me, all three commercial news services here in Sydney have their issues when it comes to the presenters/reporters, content allocation and not using available resources to their fullest potential. I’ll reiterate the most obvious examples and let you make up your own mind.

How about the mass exodus of presenters/reporters from Seven News Sydney in recent years? People like Adam Walters, Patrick Molihan, Chris Bath, Matthew Snelson, Damien Smith, Talitha Cummins, Lee Jeloscek, Mike Duffy, Sarah Cumming, Cath Turner, Paul Kadak (I know he’s staying with the network as an overseas correspondent, but still a loss to Sydney’s news)…the majority of those who’ve fled Martin Place since 2014 were high quality presenters/reporters, some of whom were at the network for a decade or even two.

Or Nine often continuing to waste money on getting TCN reporters travelling to Regional NSW for relatively minor stories which aside from the familiar face(s) to Sydney, would be covered just as good if not better by their locally-based talent? The fact that this seems to happen particularly frequently for stories happening in Northern NSW where TCN and NBN often compete for stories when they really should be working together is bizarre to say the least.

But since this is the Ten thread, obviously the main spotlight should be on them here so with that in mind, I personally hope there’ll be additional reporters and presenters allocated to each of the five main markets in the future. Although doing this might be a little more difficult that Nine using their regional resources to their fullest potential for metro/national news bulletins, more co-operation between Ten News and WIN News wouldn’t be a bad thing either, such as using their resources for content on Ten’s metro/national bulletins where appropriate.

Despite there being a few signs of improvements in recent months (such as the hiring of Jennifer Keyte in Melbourne & seemingly no longer giving up on weekend news due to sporting telecasts), more still needs to be done before I’m anywhere near comfortable enough to say that Ten provides viewers with a higher quality news service than Seven or Nine particularly from a local perspective. And yes, I know all these things take time but still…

Looks like Narelda Jacobs presenting today - giving updates throughout Bathurst.

4 Likes

I was thinking the exact thing! If they just wanted her to fill in for weekend news, it would of made more sense to fly her back to Perth to present their local news, and then to fly back? Like you said, a lead anchor away for two weeks in another city is interesting…

Former 9 News journalist Charlotte Goodlet reporting for Ten over the weekend.

1 Like

Why does Perth persist with Chiara when Narelda isn’t there? :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Omg. I’m sorry :neutral_face:

19 Likes

I’ll say she’s putting in the work to better her reads at every opportunity.

4 Likes

Would love to see more of CBS’s Holly Williams, an Australian reporter who has been reporting for them since 2012. Caught one of her reports on CBSN today and she’s terrific.

5 Likes

QUEEN

3 Likes

Errm this is getting weird now…

6 Likes

Gareth Boreham was a loss for Ten, was SPR for around a decade or more and used to cover the State Election special weekend late bulletins, ended up at SBS I think around 2011/2012 and David Woiwood replaced him for some years (then he left now seen on Sunrise sometimes) and Leah Craven returned to Melbourne and yes you guessed it then she left and I’m not sure Ten Melbourne have filled her role.

Just one messy example.

Matt Gallant did state pols after Leah, then he left.

Oh yeah didn’t even realise he’d left!

Looks like the season of repeating what Ten should reintroduce for its news has began again…

9 Likes