Ten News First Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Worth noting that Ten sent Amber Austin-Wright out to Birdsville which is 1600km west of Brisbane (Nine have Gary Youngberry there and Joel Dry reporting tonight for the QLD drought appeal) to report for the Brisbane news last night and a live cross during the national news tonight also.

1 Like

6 Likes

was arranged as a ‘pool’ for the Birdsville Races…

2 Likes

As in like carpool? Not a bad idea to share resources when it’s such a long way. Great nonetheless that they were able to send Amber out to cover it.

3 Likes

indeed, they do them all the time… locally or internationally.

But yeah, Ten seems to be opting in more to this kind of stuff… which is part of those small changes I mentioned.

1 Like

03/09/2018:
Hugh Riminton presenting in Sydney.

4 Likes

The political events recently made me reflect on how much I miss the duo of Paul Bongiorno and Hugh Riminton in Canberra for Ten. Such experience right there.

They covered the 2010 election (which was huge with the Rudd/Gillard spill earlier in the year and later the hung parliament and independents) really well, along with the other reporters at the time.

4 Likes

Tuesday -
Hugh presenting again tonight.

3 Likes

Stephen now wearing glasses.

2 Likes

7 Likes

News reports around this morning that CBS have ordered Ten’s Presentsers and Reporters to undergo voice training

6 Likes

Paywall story in the Daily Telegraph. Interesting choice of photos used!

American media giant CBS orders Channel 10’s newsreaders to do voice training

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Ten talent, including those with decades of ­experience such as Sandra Sully, are being forced to do the training.

Ten’s chief content officer Beverley McGarvey and newly appointed director of news Ross Dagan delivered the decree this month and are understood to have ­offended TV veterans in the process.

https://twitter.com/mattydunn11/status/1037076516750815232?s=21

5 Likes

Just a few extra bits:

Earlier this month, Ten chief executive officer Paul Anderson said the network would “more closely align with CBS across all platforms”.

Whether that means its presenters will be aping new CBS Evening News ­anchor Jeff Glor’s affected tone is not known.

“It would be considered very insulting to suggest top talent needed to be retrained,” a Channel 7 source said. And a Nine source said experienced newsreaders would ­“absolutely not” be required to do coaching.

One media commentator said the training could be the broadcaster reviewing its news output. “Is this an indicator they are about to review their commitment and increase news across the channel with the backing of CBS?” the commentator said.

1 Like

All certainly very interesting

2 Likes

Don’t most networks have a distinct sound though? An ABC presenter or journo usually sounds very different to a channel Nine talent.

3 Likes
8 Likes

I call bullshit.

“Gotta keep up the heat on Ten though, after we lost.”

6 Likes

I am sure it is clutching at straws by News Corp. Let’s bash Ten and their new owners. Probably just some new initiatives and a rebuilding of the news department.

7 Likes

it’s not even a new thing…

6 Likes

That’s what I thought… all TV networks and corporations should provide adequate training.

Police/Teachers/Doctors etc all do it.

2 Likes