Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Don’t be silly. Ten don’t advertise their news service. They see no value in it.

8 Likes

I just find it funny that WIN do! :joy:

1 Like

Opener

7 Likes

I can across this fairly self-explanatory positioner used by some CBS affiliates for their 10pm newscast.

In program pop up

Bulletin graphics

Video

It looked like an interesting concept to incorporate into a late bulletin and tailor-made for Ten.

Regarding Ten and wishfully thinking of a late bulletin; looking at upcoming schedules for the competition and potential schedules for Ten, I think a 10pm late bulletin could work. The branding of Ten News at Ten should be easy or perhaps TEN PM and pretty easy for viewers to remember. Starting at a time that programs on Seven and Nine are finishing is a big reason for that time and Ten could come up with a schedule that always had a TEN PM slot. I can’t see that Ten would have a consistent 9.30pm slot with most 7.30 reality 1:15 or more; but it should be possible to start a bulletin very close to 10:00:00.

You can see the clock tick over to 10 in this

And in this KTLA 5 cold start, breaking news starts over the credits of Supergirl.

It might take a while, but I’d like to see viewers getting to know that they could always flick over to Ten at 10pm no matter what they are watching and get a quick 10 minutes hit of news and perhaps stay for some more.

8 Likes

They do need to try something new, I hope they look into adding a late local newscast in maybe Melbourne or Sydney and trialling it.

2 Likes

Ten use to have a 10.30(ish) bulletin 7 nights a week in the 90’s. I thought it was unique and quite defining of a network that was appealing to a younger crowd.

We don’t know if that’s whats going to happen if you are talking about the floating rumor thats been going around.

If that’s your argument then why have hundreds or late night news bulletins not been axed in NZ US UK Canada Germany France Etc - and hundreds of local late newscasts in Canada and US in markets as small as Darwin.

Not to mention the addition of news at 5am 3pm 4pm etc in Australia.

I think we don’t have late news as Australian networks just gave up on it. Not because of the internet or access to news in our hands. As otherwise other countries would have had similar patterns - and late news is still
An institution around the world

5 Likes

They have been axed and then return in their original format

Three
Nightline / Sports Tonight > Nightline (Solo) > Paul Henry > Newsworthy > 3 News Late > Newshub Late
It’s the same as morning shows
Sunrise > Sunrise V2 > Firstline > Paul Henry > The AM Show

Ten
Ten News Late > Ten Second Edition News > Ten Late News > Ten Late News (Sports Tonight) > Ten Eyewitness News: Late
Ten News Early > Good Morning Australia > Breakfast > Wake Up > Ten News Early

Other countries have different cultures and expectations though. Just because there is a tradition or expectation in the American culture which you’re used to, doesn’t mean the same will fly here. Australians are notorious for going to bed earlier than average.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/where-you-live-affects-how-much-you-sleep-according-to-new-study/news-story/992551dd7b89cdc806fe0ef5e5ce8399

Further, the axing of Nightline and Seven Late News should’ve led to better ratings for the Ten Late, Lateline and SBS, but it didn’t.

I personally stay up til about midnight most nights, yet apart from the odd breaking news story, I don’t think I’ve watched a linear TV news bulletin later than 8pm in years. I’ve been reading and watching news all day, I like to spend my evenings getting away from all the real world shit (by reading memes).

1 Like

Not what I was saying.

Back when Nightline and Seven late news were axed, Ten Late News saw no appreciable gain in viewers.

5 Likes

Whoops. Sydney backdrop coming back from the break!

4 Likes

A look inside the Perth newsroom in this PTC from Perth reporter Beau Pearson:

7 Likes

from what I hear it’s more full than the previous building… perhaps everyone out filming stories…

I find it quite amusing that Ten has to go to google to get there own logo…

26 Likes

Reminds me of how one member of TV Forum’s mocks of BBC logos often show up on official BBC material or online news sites, because whoever was responsible just consulted Google Images. Searching BBC One returns lots of mocks from that site.

3 Likes

Looks like they wanted something Ten-related to show on the LCD.

3 Likes

Even has that nice new logo. Relaunch alert? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I would have thought that the computer backgrounds are controlled from a master and they probably have a channel ten background they could have used instead.

1 Like