Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Ah okay. Missed that explanation - thanks @Travis for linking to that TV Tonight article

I don’t understand people’s reluctance to accept that the endless and repetitive loop of ideas for ten to “reinvigorate” their news services are no good. Ten are not in the current financial state to do it, they don’t have the resources to compete with their much stronger competitors.

Ten didn’t strengthen their news services early enough to avoid the changes that have taken place in the TV industry as a whole. The 2011 news revolution failed for a number of reasons, the major one being that TV habits take a long time to change and they weren’t willing to spend the time. Messing with their schedule over the following years diluted their brand even further. Exactly the same thing happened with Breakfast. Ignoring the Wake-Up debacle, Studio 10 has proven that trends can change but that they take a long time to do so.

Streaming and on-demand content was too strong a force to ignore and all 3 commercial channels ignored it to their peril. I’d compare the likes of it and the Australian TV industry to the yellow pages. They didn’t foresee the impact that search engines would have on their business model and didn’t react fast enough to even have a chance at putting up competition against google.
This is why the need for “live” and “can’t miss” TV is critical - hence why Nine and Seven have plenty of news all day and popular sports - they also have the resources to make good bids in order to keep their sport assets in their hands.
For Ten though, more news services throughout the day requires more staff, which means more money - money that if spent in the current climate needs immediate returns, which won’t happen. I don’t even understand how they can justify the cost of their news service as it is - it’s a lot of money to spend on 1 hour of television.
I hate to say it, but I think Ten News is doomed unless it joins forces with other companies to utilise a greater pool of resources.

Overall the point I’m trying to make is this:
They won’t succeed from rehashing the past or using old ideas, nor will they flourish from stealing ideas and offering the same services as their competitors - especially if it’s a cheaper alternative.
New ideas and a fresh perspective are what is needed, and I’m not just talking about a new set and refresh of graphics.

6 Likes

My view is that Ten’s first priority has got to be building a foundation for growth. Their audience is tiny. They will never make outlandishly new/fresh things work because they just don’t have the market share to support it at this point.

How do you build that foundation? By doing exactly what they’ve done with Studio 10 and creating something that fits existing viewing habits (ie by competing directly with Seven/Nine) but does so in a unique, compelling, disruptive new way. For example, a more straight-forward breakfast show or a morning/midday news with a celebrity/magazine twist etc.

They don’t need to steal ideas or directly replicate what Seven/Nine are doing but they do need to be clever about the ways that they target the people currently watching Seven/Nine. They need to be familiar enough not to freak anybody out but also different enough to create some buzz and incentivise that switch.

As for money, this is exactly the point I was making up-thread. My view is that a single centralised national news service which actually has money and resources to invest in growth stands a far better chance at success than continuing to persevere with five individual, struggling local news services that are paralysed by a lack of funding or investment. If some other integration also makes sense then all the better, they need every little bit of help they can get at this point.

3 Likes

If you really wanted to give Ten News a much needed jolt, a multichannel merger with Sky News would surely give it.

There is no denying that the brand has been damaged with viewers. News is all about trust and consistency.

If News Ltd took over, as some have suggested, it would be really exciting times IMO. Set up a 24/7 channel on FTA, benefiting Sky/Foxtel News, with the added resources of Ten’s local setups. Broadcast major bulletins on the main channel.

Imagine, for example, this morning’s cyclone coverage hosted by Sarah & Matt, crossing to Sky News Canberra for politics, Sky Weather for weather, Sky Business for business, Aron Young in Melbourne, and so on. Blackbox would be loving himself sick with all those toys.

It’s the only way I think Ten can seriously take on the big boys of news.

4 Likes

One wonders why Ten doesn’t do what they are doing today every time there is a major news event.

3 Likes

Regardless of the potential upsides, the rumours have been around for over 10 years now - whether it be a Sky News Multichannel or a total merger with Sky News, yet we still don’t have Sky News on Ten.

21 Likes

Ten and Sky are both as disinterested in news as the other.

Ten airs one bulletin a day.

Sky doesn’t even cover news anymore just talking heads and politics. They have no news resources anymore

I can’t see them doing much good teamed up. Neither has an interest in news

4 Likes

Ten does news better now even with one bulletin than Sky. A merger or tie up will not work.

4 Likes

Unconfirmed XXXX Brewery fire reported from traffic helicopter

Edit: later

3 Likes

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. And when it’s big, black smoke it’s a good chance a building is on fire. Also, the nine fire appliances on the scene (and an ambo, and a cop) sort of make me think this wasn’t ‘unconfirmed.’

There wasn’t much known when the first image was posted. The second later image added later though confirmed the fire and major traffic impact as well.

Ten just used drone footage of lismore floods. Wonder if they’ve sourced this themselves or is part of “pool arrangements” with other media organizations.

1 Like

Lachlan has been put to good use with the cyclone and now floods. Tonight’s live report.

5 Likes

It looks like our calls have finally been answered!:smiley:

15 Likes

nice try

6 Likes

I’d thought of posting a April Fools Day joke along similar lines but then thought that no-one would believe it :slight_smile:

Of course in this scenario Peter Overton would be presenting the latest version of Ten Late News.

3 Likes

@KICK-IT and I could hardly believe the news this morning.

3 Likes

That is a little too far fetched. :smile:

1 Like

I was just watching a few of “Breakfast” videos, and I forget how amazing the set was. Too bad it failed, we really need something refreshing on Morning TV now. :wink: COUGH (Studio 10s Cyclone special)

5 Likes

History has been very unkind to Breakfast. Paul Henry and Kath had a lot more life in them than Tarsh and “Matho” and if Ten invested as much $$$ into it as they did Wake Up it might still be on our screens today.

I rarely agreed with Henry, but as least he appeared in control as a broadcaster and an interviewer. There definitely would be a right wing audience that would have eventually migrated to the format.

4 Likes