Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Late night bulletin for me also :smiley:

2 Likes

If Ten (or Seven/Nine for that matter) need any ideas to reinvigorate their news service, I’d suggest taking a look a US local television news and what they’re doing with local bulletins in various timeslots from early in the morning until late at night. At the very least, surely the bigger metropolitan markets like Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane could support something like this?

But unfortunately, I wouldn’t be too surprised if Ten actually do further cutbacks to their news service if their financial position worsens.

1 Like

As we’ve all discussed here before, surely it wouldn’t cost much to repackage stories from 5PM, and have a news+sport presenter. I wouldn’t care even if it were a national bulletin; just something I can watch to catch up on the news I (almost daily) miss between 5-7PM

1 Like

No thanks, there are already too many news or quasi news programs filling up Seven and Nine’s schedules for my liking.

Look at Nine - from 3.30am until midday, then from 3pm - 5pm then 6pm - 7.30pm - that’s 12 hours out of 24.

TEN using the opening voiceover and title cards sans the first at five tagline, but it’s still on the solid watermark and on the middle plasma behind Tarsh.

3 Likes

Not local news. Local news at 9.30 - IMO would rate.

1 Like

because everything is US dramas or other low rated stuff. Highest rated shows are often local news, it’s worth a try, especially if they need to find more value in their news service.

1 Like

ÂżQue?

Lateline is still on air.

ok, but the presence of at least some sort of review/analysis of the day’s events surely demonstrates there’s an audience for late night newscaff.

2 Likes

You can’t just look at individual ratings in isolation. Early News on Seven and Nine rates next to nothing but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t add value to the schedule. Bulletins through the middle of the day rate lower than a late bulletin would but they are worth doing because they add value.

I realise it’s different for Ten because they don’t have the scale that Seven and Nine have but clearly what they are doing now is not working. So let’s look at ways to increase their scale and make it possible for Ten to add value to their schedule, ie by consolidating the bulk of their operation in Sydney or Melbourne and investing the savings in a re-enegisation of the brand and offering. News is really the only constant and steady rater on TV these days and Ten needs a bit more stability in their schedule.

We need to see them running several hours of informal news leading into Studio 10 then something in the middle of the day (at midday perhaps to keep away from Seven/Nine and to keep a soft American talk show at 11), a really top-notch 5pm bulletin and then something at 10pm. Put money aside to allow for all that to remain in place at least 2-3 years and give things a chance to take hold before reviewing.

5 Likes

Not only this, but the morning and afternoon bulletins allow reporters to fine-tine their stories and get feedback on which points of their stories are resonating with audiences in time for the 6pm bulletin.

1 Like

I think the first thing Ten need to do is look at their marketing and sales strategies. They need to get their name out there. It doesn’t matter what they program, if people don’t know about it they can’t watch it. Some decent brand marketing (i.e. Not just for their current 7:30 show) would help them create a bit of hype around the brand which will spark sales. A lot of media buyers don’t look at the ratings in too much detail and will just go with whatever spin the networks put out there, plus their own personal opinion of the brand.

Also, was outsourcing their sales to MCN the best idea? It might be a good way to reduce overheads and get package deals with Foxtel, but it also means that no one is out their trying to sell the Ten brand above everyone else. MCN would be more focused on just making money and wouldn’t care who the individual books are for. SCA and WIN were given the opportunity to join and both decided it wasn’t for them.

1 Like

Where is the hole in the market for more news during the day? Ten’s Mon-Fri daytime (9am-6pm) network share is regularly number one in total people and advertising demos. The “Ready, Steady Cook” type programs also look to me like something that would be an easy sell for advertisers. Trying to program the same content and Seven and Nine isn’t going to work, while counter programming clearly is.

4 Likes

Late news bulletins generally don’t get a consistent start time on commercial networks either. Any attempt to attract a regular audience is lost when live reality or sports push the schedule back.

3 Likes

This doesn’t make any sense - their schedule is strong at this time, and there is heaps of news competition at this time. Their late night shares are weak and there is lack of competition.

1 Like

It’s already happened. Suprised it hasn’t been mentioned here but roughly a fortnight ago, a repeat of The Feed has replaced the late news Monday to Thursday. The bulletin only now airs on Friday’s since The Feed makes way for SBS’ A-League coverage

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m sure I read this was only a “temporary” thing though. And that the Late News would return in a few weeks or something?

Correct. 5 weeks

2 Likes

Thought so. Mind you, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Late News bulletin days are numbered. Not sure how well it’s rating, but if the late night encore of The Feed is doing well enough it may eventually replace it on a permanent basis (similarly to what Ten does with a late encore of The Project).