Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Is it a requirement that a tv licence holder must have a news bulletin?

If not, why doesn’t Ten just axe its news bulletin?

Weren’t these sets made for 2 presenters? They’ll look a bit odd with one.

The quality of the weather forecast on Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five is better (well, more often than not anyway) when someone fills in for Tim Bailey! :wink:

Please don’t give them any ideas.

Not really. When the Eyewitness News branding came into place in 2013 , every state had single presenters plus the current sets (3-screen)

1 Like

I’m glad that came across! It’s a great team here in QLD and the four of us do get on very well. Georgie is a total pro and has taught me a lot.

19 Likes

Hmmmmmm. Let’s do a quick count from that time till now…

• Deborah Knight, Bill Woods, Ron Wilson, Matt Doran, Hermione Kitson, Hamish MacDonald, Magdalena Roze, Dani Isdale, Brad McEwan (now in Melbourne), Victoria Murphy, Rob Canning, Natasha Exelby, Adam Walters, Mike Munro, Mel McLaughlin and I could really go on forever.
8 Likes

Kath Robinson

1 Like

But by reverting back to solo presenters Ten has significantly bolstered its senior reporter ranks without paying a cent. IMO it’s a good call, in Sydney and Melbourne at least.

4 Likes

there has to be X number of hours of local news a year, but that means nothing for the way things are now because SCA were doing noodle updates and meeting quota. (It’s also why Ten can take 2 weeks off at the end of the year…)

That said, I don’t think local news is at risk because these days it is the face of the station in the market. Think about it, who goes out and emcees events, who goes to schools, who goes around to promotional events? It’s always the news readers (and sport and weather.)

If local news was going to go, it would’ve gone a few years back when each state was down to 3 or 4 journos each. Ten tightened the belt so much it was cutting off airflow, but they have slowly loosened the belt and aside from stealing chopper vision, I still believe their bulletins are on par or better than the others

2 Likes

This is nice and all, but Ten seriously need to promote their news product before I’d consider any anchor bar Sanda Sully the “face” of any Ten station. Matt Preston’s a bigger face for Ten than most anchors by virtue of the fact that they never promote their news, something this forum has pointed out repeatedly.

3 Likes

Yet they go to the trouble of making promos, show them willy nilly for a week or two then we never see them again.

1 Like

They need to revert back to ten|NEWS or if they want Eyewitness in the title, embrace it and drop the ten like they did in the 80’s.

This would have made an ideal Eyewitness promo:

still love that ten|NEWS logo though. so cool.

11 Likes

This is when I believe Ten News was at its peak. A very strong and confedent news brand.

All they needed to do at that time, was to expand the early news from 6am to 8am, and reinstate local editions on weekends at 5.00am.

But I have to agree with you, I think they need to revert back to the TEN NEWS brand.

8 Likes

[quote=“lexington, post:1703, topic:61”]
there has to be X number of hours of local news a year, but that means nothing for the way things are now because SCA were doing noodle updates and meeting quota. (It’s also why Ten can take 2 weeks off at the end of the year…)
[/quote]You’re getting your facts mixed up a bit here.

SCA’s noodle updates fulfill the “local content” requirements. This only relates to regional networks in Qld, NNSW, SNSW, Vic and SA. Each station, for each local content area (except any that they have an exemption for) has to show a certain number of points worth of local content each week (minimum of 90 points per week, but has to total 720 points per 6 week period). It doesn’t have to be news, but news is the easiest way to do it. Basically anything of local relevance counts.

There are other requirements on all stations for Australian content and Children content, but in practice these only apply to the main metro networks since the regionals just relay the same content.

There is no specific requirement for news.

4 Likes

I agree, if they ever had multiple bulletins e.g. Ten EARLY News, Ten LATE News, they could have a more comprehensive bulletin on at some part of the day called Ten Eyewitness News.

1 Like

In that case I think they should axe Ten News and use the money to strengthen prime time.

They clearly have Zero interest in news clearly demonstrated by this latest ridiculous move to sent competent presenters out into the field reporting - absolutely insulting their global experience.

The other thing is that because their news isn’t at 6pm it doesn’t provide any value in leading into prime time like Nine and Sevens news does.

They should bite the bullet and axe Ten News’s remaining bulletin and focus on being an entertainment station for young viewers and forget the news!

1 Like

They could rebrand to The Entertainment Network again

1 Like

that is the dumbest post I have read on this forum. Good on you for advocating the sacking of over 100 staff.

5 Likes

I said reinvestment into prime time. Maybe you should read the post fully.

Business is all about getting the biggest return for your money. [quote=“lexington, post:1712, topic:61, full:true”]
that is the dumbest post I have read on this forum. Good on you for advocating the sacking of over 100 staff.
[/quote]

and just how will news staff produce content for primetime? you said axe the bulletin and reinvest in primetime. what in primetime?