Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

A good, well placed, tease should give you some excitement for what’s to come.

not having leaks heightens the experience, no?

4 Likes

What a bunch of party poopers… the hunt for information, speculation and teasing all adds excitement to the process.

It’s a bit like sex…of course there’d be some here at MediaSpy who don’t know what that’s like… but it is.

10 Likes

Do you like the ‘glimpse’ you’ve seen?

oh yes :wink:

7 Likes

The problem with the Daily Bailey pic segment is the actual weather forecast is often totally lost during what’s meant to be a weather segment. It often lacks any really detail and is rushed.

4 Likes

Hopefully they release him back outdoors in the relaunch.

4 Likes

Weather reports are great time fillers and a way of showing off technology and graphics, but in metro areas the audience just wants a forecast for tomorrow and something that gives an indication of the week ahead.

Regional areas may require something a bit more detailed.

Where good graphics and a smart presenter are invaluable are during weather events; bushfires, floods, heatwaves etc, when what’s happening can be explained and when relief of one form or another is on the way.

Weather pictures are pretty standard.

I think Tim Bailey attracts attention because some people find him annoying, what he actually does is pretty standard more or less. Although it’s probably fair to say info sometimes gets lost in all the colour and movement.

I think the weather is a subject of fairly universal appeal regardless of where you live, because people do want an idea of what to expect so they can plan for their day/week accordingly.

As well as that, the “Right Now” aspect to the weather on metropolitan bulletins (which I’d probably say isn’t taken advantage of to its fullest potential) adds a bit to the “liveness” IMO. Whenever I’ve seen them pre-recorded forecasts on regional bulletins have been OK, but not quite the same.

Indeed. At the moment (or at least recently), Sydney & NSW being in the midst of a horrible drought has been the big weather topic of interest around here and I personally suspect at least one bulletin with a meteorologist as lead forecaster may have received a ratings boost because of that coverage.

…although they won’t ever openly admit it, TV news absolutely loves pictures of extreme weather events because that often (but not always) gets the viewers tuning in! :wink:

I would’ve said the weather forecasting style of Tim Bailey is unique (but IMO, not in a good way) compared to what Graham Creed, David Brown, Amber Sherlock and the various fill-in presenters across all Sydney/NSW channels provide their viewers with.

1 Like

You lot disappoint me - you’ve all missed Lexington’s little teaser:

seriously :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

14 Likes

Brisbane bulletin graphic-less tonight. Major problems I hear…

4 Likes

No supers but some other graphics

4 Likes

pre produced and weather graphics unaffected.

Strange watching a news bulletin without mandatory logo across every image- makes you think you’re watching an ad break.

No traffic super for first report then next report from the ground due to weather

8 Likes

National update with Narelda aired a bit after 7:30 tonight with ‘breaking’ news about the Royal baby.

8 Likes

Queensland got the normal local updates with Georgina Lewis that included the baby news.

Sydney updates coming from a green screen this afternoon. Is that normal for this time of the day?

Eyewitness News First at “Five”

Saturday
Sydney, Melbourne 06:00 - 07:00pm
Brisbane, Perth 05:00 - 06:00 pm
Adelaide 05:30 - 06:30 pm

Sunday
Sydney, Melbourne 06:00 - 06:30pm
Brisbane, Perth 05:00 - 06:00 pm
Adelaide 05:30 - 06:30 pm

3 Likes

This is why the flagship evening bulletin shouldn’t have a time-based label attached to it. Should’ve just been “Ten Eyewitness News” from the get-go.

2 Likes

I wonder where Mike is tonight? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

wait for it.

3 Likes