Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

6pm surely. What I’ve been calling for for years :wink:

Was this the bulletin with Hermione Kiston and Nicole Livinstone?

I don’t agree. 10 News need a hook in their brand. They are heavily associated with the term First here in Australia as a legacy of the early 90s. Just use it already. Stand out. 10 News is too weak by itself - yes - in this day and age. See, you say “First” doesn’t work in these times. I say “10 News” by itself doesn’t work in these times - because there is too much news available. They need to “sell” themselves and boast a bit in their News brand.

1 Like

This whole ‘first’ thing is a complete w*nk. Unless they bring in more bulletins, like they had back in the day. “Ten News First”…for one bulletin a day??? at 5pm???..give me a break. Good name for a twitter handle…that’s it.

Remember when Ten News was 6am, 11am, 5pm and 10:30pm. How good. Then they stuffed it. Doubt they’ll ever recover.

2 Likes

The brand is irrelevant, what matters is that they follow through.

A glitzy launch means nothing, viewers need to see a long-term commitment from the network before they can consider making a long-term commitment of their own.

6 Likes

‘Your Weather Pics’ on the ten daily win page - would be good if they did this for each state (I know Adelaide does something similar) during the weather and then personalised it such as the Daily Baily Weather Wall etc.

Note the use of the generic Ten Eyewitness News logo without the First At Five tagline.

2 Likes

no

oh god no

I would be horrified if experts such as Josh Holt and Michael Shultz degraded to doing this shit in the middle of their comprehensive weather report. it’s bad enough that it’s only in Sydney jeez, it would be terrible if it spread nationally.

4 Likes

Fair enough.

I don’t see the problem personally, perhaps using Tim Baily as an example is not the right way to get my point across - he’s hardly the pinnacle of weather presenters that anyone should aspire to be like but the idea to personalise each states weather segment remains the same.

I think incorporating it into the weather report creates an opportunity to highlight weather patterns or events captured by locals or everyday people, shows different areas of each respective state and makes it feel more local, engages with the audience and gives people a reason to tune in and in my opinion makes the weather a little more exciting rather than just reading the same BOM forecast from an autocue.

In any case, Josh Holt sometimes uses video footage or pictures at the beginning of the broadcast if it’s relevant to the current days weather or forward forecast and Kate Freebairn in Adelaide does it on the regular each evening from what I can see online so it’s hardly anything new but I think they could definitely build on the idea further.

4 Likes

Such a cynic. This is the sort of thing they should be pumping out on Prime

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Ten’s news service does need a major relaunch of their branding with it now being over half a decade since the last one, but that alone won’t attract viewers to make the switch. What needs to improve over time is the amount of resources allocated to the newsroom (current standards of content aren’t horrible, but nowhere near good enough to entice viewers over from Seven/Nine IMO) and also a heavier promotional campaign.

As for the weather coverage, I personally think Tim “Daily” Bailey’s forecast should be shown to aspiring TV forecasters/meteorologists as an example of how NOT to present the weather on a main evening news bulletin! Now admittedly I don’t know what Bailey’s like as a person, but as a TV weather presenter his style really should’ve stayed in the '90s IMO.

In 2018 going on 2019, I’m pretty sure the Sydney market wants their weather forecasts presented straight and to the point. The weather information being provided to viewers needs to be the #1 priority (even better if you can use visually appealing graphics which can help tell the story), but far too often Tim focuses more on the weather photos he’s been sent rather than the actual information/forecast in his segments.

Agreed. I’d kind of like to think that viewers in markets like Brisbane & Perth where Ten seem to have decent weather presenters are taking a look at Sydney’s forecasts and are thinking “I’m glad we don’t have Tim Bailey presenting the weather here!”

1 Like

I find weather segments on Australian TV generally staid and not terribly relevant to viewers. They all spend precious time detailing past weather with the same blocking, the same maps, metrics set to weird Bureau standards, etc.

What I feel there should be is a forecast focus on immediate and subsequent dayparts, civic events and weathermakers. Every market will have unique elements for the environment and prominent industries. The above is an example from home and a good one, I feel.

5 Likes

Disagree. Weather info is available to everyone with a phone or a computer, and people know exactly how to find it. TEN is actually doing exactly what stations should be doing - yes, in this day and age - which is personalising the segment, and making it part of the station’s “brand” or “vibe”.

4 Likes

if you want excitement go to Today or Sunrise, not an actual news bulletin. Out of all the networks, ten always has the comprehensive weather forecast.

On the flip side, it shouldn’t be something that needs excitement as that’ll distract people from the info. look at how Tim presents the segment, with levels of excitement. Sure, it’s funny as hell, but it always distracts me from the information at hand.

I see what you mean, but it isn’t talked about for like 30 seconds to a minute, it’s barely even mentioned on many forecasts.

One thing that somehow only Perth uses is the SkyCam at the start of the bulletins. it used to be used in all the markets at one point in the mid 2000’s.

if you don’t remember it - it’s normally on the tallest building (Westralia Square in Perth, previously Central Park) and is a time-lapse usually for the whole day.

I also enjoy the customised maps which I’m pretty sure only Perth and Brisbane do at all. Unless it’s a live shot, the photos are dated and not really needed, people wanna know what’s in store next, which is why regularly there’s radars in these two markets. mainly it’s satellite, synoptic, rainfall and radar as well as another (SEQ radar & SWWA Boating info). There are always improvements to the weather that could be made (better today/tomorrow for WA and tomorrow for metro Perth, clearing boating info for Brisbane). If ten wants to improve their weather from a market already, implement the stuff seen in Perth and Brisbane in the other three markets.

I have the BOM app on my phone and it is not as comprehensive as Ten. They’ve got the best weather info out of the whole networks and sometimes even better than the ABC (only because they have more maps and chart patterns than them).

Exactly, of what I’ve seen from Josh Holt is he explains the weather really well, says what’s happening, why it is and what’s going to probably happen, without doing the Jane Bunn preschooler approach. Shultzy does somewhat the same, but in a different way - he likes to focus on rural areas during the chart and map portions of the forecast, then talk about Perth when relevant.

1 Like

Personally I’m of the view that having a Tim Bailey-style of personality might be appropriate for breakfast TV and even then, there’s a lot of dislike for Sam Mac & Natalia Cooper out there.

But during a 5pm or 6pm or 7pm evening news bulletin when people are more likely to be sitting down in front of their screens for the entire program, providing important and relevant information to viewers should always be the #1 priority during TV weather forecasts IMO. That can include looking things like at long term trends, rainfall totals, wind speeds, weather warnings and forecasts for special events - all of which I’ve seen during Sydney TV news bulletins at various points in recent years. But Tim Bailey going “Wow, take a look at this photo of an amazing Sunset!” in front of a videowall doesn’t really add much to his weather segment IMO.

Most of the networks use Metra’s WeatherScape XT for their graphics, although I’m not sure if the “sameness” of forecasts is purely due to that (VizRT is the standard graphics engine for most other graphics but for example, Nine and the ABC each use it very differently) or some form of Bureau of Meteorology guidelines for the presentation of weather on Australian TV.

1 Like

#leavetimbaileyalone

I’m not kidding.
November 1.

14 Likes

Does this include set changes such as the possible revamp in Pyrmont or will those sort of changes be done in the new year?

Also, have you seen the new look for yourself? Just wondering, either way not long left to go! :smiley:

5 Likes

Holy crap… this is going to be a major relaunch for the entire network then… :o

Probably the smallest of things they could change, but I hope that they don’t use the same voiceover guy for the intros :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Ever heard the saying… don’t throw the baby out with the bath water?

Yeah, well, they are.
EVERYTHING.

13 Likes

Thank god!!

4 Likes