Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

I don’t disagree, I think there’s a reason behind every decision like this, I’m just not a fan personally.

1 Like

The reason for me saying this is that the Sports Tonight’s revival has both the Theme song and Branding as CBS Sports, minus the CBS eye logo in favour of Ten’s, and a slightly different colour palette, so I wonder if there will some CBS News inspiration for the next Ten News relaunch.

I would perfer for them to keep their iconic 4-note theme and not stray too far away from their own identity and keep it uniquely Ten, but I’m hoping for something different to what they, and the current networks have with CBS’ backing and under Ross Dagan’s direction, a return to the Newsroom vibe for some bulletins would be nice, as it gives a sense of authority as it did back then.

1 Like

Me personally, its because im sick of the crap presentation we get for news. The US stuff looks 100 times better IMO.

2 Likes

Five? Last I checked, the Ten News signature only has four notes. In any case I’m sure they’ll keep it when the time comes for an update, it’s been in use long enough to be deemed just as “irreplaceable” as any other network’s news theme.

Re, graphics & On-Air Presentation: I wouldn’t mind Ten relaunching with a look that doesn’t resemble the current look, since some of the elements are almost five years old and also due to Nine News currently having a somewhat Ten-inspired branding package in use.

1 Like

I was gambling between either 5 or 6 notes and I was both wrong, haha :stuck_out_tongue:

As pointed out by @TV.Cynic in the Sports Tonight discussion, the modern flat graphics aesthetic on Sports Tonight has made most of their current graphics on other programs look dated, so I’m hoping we’ll be getting something completely different to what we have seen in years, similar to the jump in brand evolution from the 2005 relaunch, and something that stands out visually from the other network offerings.

Ross Dagan is doing a good job so far in addressing some of the current issues (bolstering more coverage for important events), should be interesting to see how he will direct Ten’s News Department in its evolution under CBS ownership.

I think it’s a pretty safe bet a relaunch will be heavily inspired by the CBS on air look. Given what has been revealed by the Sports Tonight launch and the imminent arrival of TEN All-Access, it would be odd for them not to have that consistency across the brand.

5 Likes

Ever since Sports Tonight was done as a 7pm trial about 20 years ago, I have always thought ST was NOT suited to prime-time!

Local, late night news with “Sports Tonight” is a different story.

But they have rocks in their heads if they keep putting ST on in prime-time.

I watch lots of US local news across most major markets and they not only beat us, they wipe the floor with us.

5 Likes

Agree.

And, look, if Pointless doesn’t work, they should definitely add 6pm news half hours across the country.

Surely Jennifer, Stephen and Mike could gain traction after a year or so. Ultimately, they could be a modest force at 6pm (and at 10, if you ask me).

6pm? unlikely. They’d get hammered by 7 & 9, even if the 30 minute difference is a selling point.

1 Like

Um yeah but that’s not the point. They could improve their rating there, and keep building. In totals, they may get “hammered”, as you say, but they could be competitive in demos.

Do you have any suggestions for 6pm?

Surely this discussion is pointless at the moment :wink:

11 Likes

I’d be okay even if they just did a multichannel replay. Despite the advertising, you can’t ‘come home’ to Ten News, if it finishes before you get there.

6:30pm on One would be good.

2 Likes

I think Pointless will struggle, personally.

5 Likes

I agree totally with jens

Question 1: Name a tired game show format
Family Feud: We surveyed 100 people, what are their top answers
Pointless: We surveyed 100 people, what are their lowest answers

Not a whole lot of thought gone into it

4 Likes

unlimited cat videos.

When up against Seven and Nine’s 6pm news, anything from Ten that isn’t a follow-on bulletin will flop. It’s their death slot. George Negus failed, The Project was moved back to 6:30, Family Feud was axed.

1 Like

News at 6 also failed.

1 Like

I think part of the problem was over saturation of news. 1hr of 5pm local news followed immediately by 1/2hr 6pm local news for a huge 90min chunk of news.

Who knows how it could’ve gone with 30mins at 5pm, regular programming, then 30mins at 6pm. Break it up a bit.

4 Likes

It will be interesting to see how Ten handles big breaking stories when it pushes out its new look etc.

I’m watching Los Angeles right now and the differences are stark in breaking news coverage of a hostage situation in a market (Trader Joe’s) in northern suburban LA.

CBS2 is restrained, the reporter on the ground is not harrassing staff and shoppers that left the store, despite being in the pack with them. He’s said several times that “despite being in a competitive market” they are not showing the store involved and where the police and LA SWAT are, just in case “the gunman is monitoring our feed and getting to know where the police are.” CBS2’s satellite truck is also now inside the police lines, which means the crew aren’t getting back to their vehicle anytime soon.

ABC7 however doesn’t give two stuffs about restraint, and are sensationalist and showing AIR7 feed of the store and of all the SWAT teams surrounding it.

NBC4 is concentrating on showing feeds from earlier of customers and some staff fleeing from the store.

I wonder how much restraint Ten News will show in comparison to Seven and Nine in the future.

Pictures of coverage here — International News

2 Likes