Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Is that a mock or a tip?

10 Likes

If a tip, that would make it easy to do Local News after primetime

2 Likes

Local news at 7 would be a massive plus. Hope to God itā€™s a tip!

Hereā€™s my idea:

5.00 Eyewitness News (Local)
6:00 The Project (Axe Feud)
7:00 Eyewitness News (Local or National with local windows, I donā€™t mind)
7:30 Primetime stuff.

And once it works, leave it!

2 Likes

sorry folks, thatā€™s my hope there.

the problem with yours Tom is itā€™s too much investment straight away - and Feud is doing ok apparently but itā€™d probably do better at 5.30.

7pm could be the next battle ground, whose there at the moment on FTA? ABCā€¦ thatā€™s it.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s the first time the wooden trim around the plasmas actually looked good! :joy:

Keep local news at 5 as it isā€¦Ten need to hold ground with this. They already tried giving it away on weekends a few years back and thatā€™s when 9 and 7 brought there 5pm bully in.

5pm local news as is
6pm Sports Tonight
630pm Ten News local 30 mins
7pm The Project 30 mins
730pm Prime time lineup programming

We have a mock schedules thread

5 Likes

they tried that in 2011, and tbey lost 250,000 viewers nationally and never recovered.

Sorry mods, back on topicā€¦

2 Likes

They lost viewers as it coincided with news of redundacies and the loss of local weekend bulletins after the news revolution. They didnā€™t allow it to work. They gave up! Ten News at 5 use to have viewers in the 750k but with the redundacies Ten have had, people think there is no commitment to their news service which makes audiences leave.

Johanna Griggs and Basil Zempilasā€™ post-ceremony apology was shown during Ten News (at least in Melbourne) tonight, also giving a super for Joh.

Nice to see, was big news which many will be wanting to see detailed tonight (if they went to bed and have been at work all day today), not showing clear network rivalry shenanigans!

Interesting to see it bitter rival Nine News will include any part of it, as well as other news services tonight.

4 Likes

the switch off began much earlier than that. people donā€™t want that much news that close together.

moreover - that TYPE of news (hard hitting) ā€¦ tv news has gone soft.

1 Like

Before the news revolution it was getting the 750k. Ever since they stopped it and slashed staff thatā€™s when it declined. It was going fine before it.

The news revolution had many, many flaws, and may have been a factor in a bit of ratings decline, but it is not the sole reason for ratings declining.

The news cycle has changed dramatically since 2011, viewing habits evolve and situations change.
People get their news all day from online sources. People work later and arenā€™t home to watch news at 5pm. Seven and Nine both have their 4pm news bulletins and then thereā€™s ABC News 24, so there are more options to watch news around the 5pm news hour.

Add to that that the TV landscape has been diluted with many more free-to-air channels, giving people the option to switch off news completely.

People also seem to forget after the news revolution failed, Ten tried a number of different line ups in that time, and they were all pretty much a disaster. The worst, in my opinion, was the News at Five that went for an hour and a half (The last half hour was re-branded News At Six later), followed with an hour project. It was also a failure, fair ratings at 5pm but people switched off at 6pm. A two-and-a-half hour block of news content is hard to pull off and youā€™d be hard to convince me itā€™s a good idea to try it again.

Unfortunately the only way I see Ten competing in the current landscape is to face the competition head on. Axe the News at Five brand, and face your competition directly at 6pm - however that takes guts, time and resourcesā€¦

5 Likes

Ten has always thrived on point of difference. Hence the 5pm one hour instead of the 6pm half hour. They still produce the best hour of news in the country, without advertorials/needless filler.

But as the Oz article in the Nine News thread says, the audience are just getting tired of a one hour block of news. Whilst itā€™s simplistic to say attention spans are getting shorter, the news is just so crazy that people get fatigued after 20 minutes.

Iā€™d let News at 5 run for an hour still, but maybe look at trimming 15 minutes off somewhere. Maybe run a nationalised mini-sports tonight bulletin at 5:45.

Iā€™d tighten the Project to be a punchy half hour, run it at 6:30pm into a strong local news at 7pm. Keep the focus laser tight on the strongest local stories, best national and international stories and a solid 13 minute block for sport/weather.

2 Likes

agreed. Iā€™d go Local at 7 and 9.30

Push the Project back?

Commonwealth Games medal tally graphics:

6 Likes

To be honest, it would be a nicer flow;

5.00 - 6.00 pm Ten Eyewitness News (Local)
6.00 - 7.00 pm The Project
7.00 - 7.30 pm Ten Eyewitness News (local)

With all due respect I would love this scheduleā€¦if this was in the mock schedules thread instead of the main TEN one.

7 Likes