Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

That is a ridiculously contentious comment to make. It is not even what so ever, even is having at least 2 story’s per state about a crash, murder, fire, robbery in the region. Instead we are hearing comprehensive reports about a crash in Dubbo, Brunswick and the spice girls (3rd Feb broadcast) if there is a story from WA, SA and QLD for that matter it’s breezed over.
And let’s not forget that if there is hot weather in NSW and Vic it’s a once in a lifetime“summer scorcher” that has a detailed report about how people are sweating In Sydney even though more than half of the country deals with that weather constantly…So it is definitely not even and consistent for that matter

3 Likes

Sorry but Perth don’t get a look in the national bulletin. Perth audiences dont care about a crash or house fire in sydney and i could expect vise versa. Perth need there own bulletin on weekends like a east coast and west coast edition.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, would anyone happen to have broadcasts or caps of Ten News Perth in 2008 when Narelda presented with Tim Webster in Sydney before the news headed to Perth?

I’m sorry but news is not a “let’s just have a story about everyone to make them happy”, it’s “this story is important/interesting/informative” - especially in the first break of a bulletin where the stories are the most important national stories. You can’t have a story about a murder from each state, when there hasn’t been a murder in each state. This is what makes a national bulletin truly national - you have to take the most important stories from across the country, not discriminate by region.

The vast majority of the time weekend bulletins are led with stories from Canberra about politicians - Canberra isn’t even a state and has less population than WA, yet the stories that come out of there are more important to lead with in a bulletin. Then there’s also the times that you get disasters overseas as lead.

I watch the weekend bulletin regularly and have noticed news coming from all over the country. Ten opened bulletins with the Perth bushfires last year on a number of occasions, because that was an important issue that concerned the whole country, the “summer scorcher” that knocked out power in Adelaide was also covered in detail. I know not only about car crashes in Syndey, I know for a fact that Perth have major issues with cars driving into houses, poles, and other stationary objects - purely from watching Ten.

Yet, after watching for years and reading the comments on this forum, you guys really struggle and whinge about this opinion all the time - arguing that a linear TV format should reflect either an online format or a local news format.

If you don’t like the format, vote with your remote and don’t watch it.

3 Likes

They do discriminate by region, and it’s not just the Ten network. The fact that Seven and Nine can produce local broadcasts with local stories on the weekend clearly demonstrates that there are local important issues occurring. They are covering more stories in depth in Sydney and Melbourne then they are of the rest of the country.

Canberra is a different story and you know it, that’s political stories which affects the whole country. They aren’t reporting local Canberra stories which affects them.

If you read my comment, there was never anything about them ignoring major stories. They are reporting on a crash in Sydney for about 2 minutes and then one in Brisbane for 15 seconds. Then you’re coming on here saying they don’t discriminate by region.

Well that’s pretty childish but It’s not opinion it’s a fact, maybe ask @lachlan_kennedy what his opinion is since he is reading the news.

Well that’s why the broadcast has such low ratings on weekends.

3 Likes

Well said :+1:

2 Likes

you lot seem to blur the line with emotion in regards to stories of national significance.

A house fire where four people were treated for smoke inhalation, a drive by shooting, an armed robbery with a shotgun are all stories of national significance no matter where they happen.

a car V power pole, or police called to an out of control party are not nationally significant (locally, yes) so they will never get a mention.

does that mean there should be decision made to restore local bulletins? Probably. But I think they all should be local rather than just one market.

5 Likes

They have the budgets to produce local news, so they do. Having a local bulletin means that you can adjust your content to a more specific audience - so of course they’re going to fill the bulletin with local issues. That doesn’t mean that those stories would be covered if seven and nine were to a national bulletin.
You can’t really compare the 2.

That’s my point…

If a car crash in Sydney backs up traffic through the entire city vs a crash in Brisbane which had good pictures, but not enough coverage for a package because it wasn’t a major event…
You’re assuming that everything is easily accessible. It’s not.

You have to admit that the circular nature of conversation on here gets a bit exhausting. There have been times in the past when members have quoted the rundown, and it’s not even right.

It may indeed be a factor of their low ratings, especially when their competitors are doing local bulletins - however I’d also say that a bulletin at 5pm on a weekend is also out of date and old fashioned. I only watch it because I work weekends on a regular basis. If I weren’t, I’d be out enjoying life a bit more.

At the end of the day, I respect your opinion on why you find the weekend bulletin doesn’t work for you - but I disagree that the structure is biased and I disagree when you make a claim that your opinion makes it true - especially when a lot of work is probably put into their rundown.

1 Like

From a Perth point of view…viewers dont care about traffic problems, a deli holdup in Penrith, NRL teams etc. Thats why they need to install a seperate bulletin for the west coast as stories in WA are not intergrated into the national as they have a “it’s too far away” attitude.

Why does only Perth need a local weekend bulletin from Ten? I personally think all capital cities should have local news seven days a week because if you’re in Melbourne or Brisbane, you don’t want to see predominately Sydney-centric news on Saturdays or Sundays.

But of course, whether or not that’s actually likely to happen anytime in the foreseeable future is another story…

10 Likes

Lot of CBS mics in evidence in today’s coverage on Ten.

4 Likes

It’s certainly an interesting and ongoing discussion.

All I’m going to say about ratings is that 5pm is a tough timeslot on a weekend. Often up against live sport and at this time of year it’s usually beautiful outside still. I will add however, there is another channel that occasionally runs a 5pm National news - and we routinely beat that. So take from that what you will.

I certainly believe there’s a place for national bulletins. I’ve always felt that. But from my experience domestically and abroad, there are always concerns & commentary about city bias. I don’t really have a solid solution on how to satisfy those concerns. I often point out that many US national bulletins don’t do car crashes/ localised crime or state politics at all. More federal issues. Major weather, politics & international etc

Whether there is a big enough available audience at 5 on the weekends for local state based bulletins I don’t know. There are much smarter people with all sorts of ratings data who can answer that one.

Just this week though… our senior management was reiterating CBS’ dedication to news and specifically local news. Anyone who watches their programming knows they are very serious (and very good) at news. They also do east coast & west coast national bulletins in the US - whether they do that here, I have no idea. Just an observation.

I think this is a ‘watch this space’ scenario. I know everyone on here posts about and wants answers, changes, shake-ups etc etc but i can tell you it won’t be rushed. That’s the message I’m getting. It’s definitely coming though (what exactly I don’t know) but things are looking up and I’m honestly excited about this year.

29 Likes

If CBS are looking at investing in TEN NEWS, they need to plan in staged. (Build slowly and be smart)

Stage 1 - (2018 May onwards) should be a focus on topping up existing resources around the country. New Reporters/Producers should be recruited around the country.

• A senior Correspondent in Canberra (1 New Crew)
  • 3 crews In Sydney (Producer/Reporter/Camera etc.)
  • 3 crews In Melbourne (Producer/Reporter/Camera etc.)
  • 2 crews each in Brisbane/Adelaide and Perth

A Perth Edition should be implemented on Weekends from Sydney - with a plan to move local at a later date.

An Increase presence to focus on Breaking News throughout the day. The network has permission to break into programming if need be.

Stronger push on social media (New team hired in each city)

Stage 2 (2018 October onward) should be a focus on re-opening foreign bureau’s in both Los Angeles and London. I’m sure office space could be provided through CBC’s facilities.

Eyewitness News branding should be dropped and replaced with TEN NEWS - Its simple and easy to promote on different platforms. Branding should focus on the local city name - TEN MELBOURNE NEWS @ FIVE with CBS assistance on presentation.

Local News returns to Weekends for Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane/Adelaide and Perth. New presenters and crews hired in each city to cater for the weekends.

Dual presenters are re-instated in each capital city for the Weekday Edition. Presenters are recruited from Seven or Nine (High Profile)

Stage 3 - (2019 first half) - TEN MORNING NEWS launches @ 11.00pm with a high profile presenter from Sydney. New crews are once again hired to cater for shift work throughout the mornings. Studio 10 is pushed back to an 8AM start. News updates can now be seen on the network from 8am onwards.

Local news can now be seen in each city, through 365 days of the year. Eliminating the national Christmas Day and Good Friday bulletin.

Stage 4 - (2019 Second Half) - Two new Local News bulletins are launched in each market.

TEN MELBOURNE NEWS @ SIX
TEN MELBOURNE NEWS @ 9.30PM

Family Feud is axed and Studio 10 returns to its former studio with a new look and set.

New sets are launched in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and Canberra. Sydney and Melbourne having the ability to broadcast a national look.

Stage 5 (2020 First half) - TEN NEWS launched TEN THIS MORNING. A new breakfast news programs from 5am - 8am. It will be the first National breakfast show broadcast out of Melbourne. The show will occupy a newly built set that will be shared with The Projects. A weekend edition and an extended time to 9pm would be on the cards at a later date.

By 2020 the networks news platform would consist of the following programs.

Weekdays
5.00am - 8.00am TEN THIS MORNING (National)
8.00am - 11.00am STUDIO 10 (National)
11.00am - 12.00pm TEN MORNING NEWS (National)
5.00pm - 6.00pm TEN BRSIBANE NEWS @ FIVE (Local)
6.00pm - 6.30pm TEN BRSIBANE NEWS @ SIX (Local)
6.30pm - 7.30pm THE PROJECT (National)
9.30pm - 10.00pm TEN BRISBANE NEWS @ 9.30 (Local)

Weekends
7.00am - 10.00am TEN THIS MORNING (National)
10.00am - 12.00am STUDIO 10 (National - Repeats)
5.00pm - 6.00pm TEN NATIONAL NEWS @ FIVE (National)
6.00pm - 6.30pm TEN BRISBANE NEWS @ SIX (Local)
6.30pm - 7.30pm THE PROJECT (National)

Anyway that’s my little draft.

2 Likes

With one slight modification to the names. Restore the original umbrella brand Ten News with the main bulletins returned to Ten [timeslot] News:

Ten Morning News
Ten Evening News [city name]
Ten Weekend News (national + Perth)
Ten Late News (national)

Maintaining a uniform name for each bulletin regardless of location would IMO be better brand-wise than calling each local bulletin “Ten [city] News”.

Why a return to the 90-minute news on weekdays if they’re both local? What does 90 minutes offer that the current 60 minutes does not?

If they were to relaunch later down the track, it would be really good if they brought back this theme.

I know many like the current one, but I thought the 2005-2008 theme displayed authority and played an inaugural role in news services successful era.
6 Likes

While Ten’s 2005-08 theme music was good for it’s time, I don’t think reinstating a version of the theme music last used on-air a decade ago would be a positive move if Ten/CBS want their news service to evolve for the future.

If/when Ten decides that the branding of their news service needs a refresh (personally, I hope that will happen sometime this year), I personally think there’ll either be an updated version of the current theme (although all of Ten’s news themes since 1994 have had the same four note signature anyway) or a completely new theme.

3 Likes

If there’s already an hour of local news at 5, then the 6-6:30 block should be a truly national/international bulletin, imo (similar to the US set-up - 6: local news 6:30: national news). That’s the only type of bulletin that I can think of that would stand a chance against Seven & Nine’s 6pm news.

Or just move The Project forward to a 6pm start.

1 Like

I was never much of a fan of the 2005-08 theme. They are better off keeping or tweaking the current theme. It’s currently my favourite in Australia :ok_hand:

1 Like

Sounds like another news revolution. We know how well that went last time.

6 Likes

There would be two separate editions. Not a full 90 Minute Bulletin. A new presenter would be introduced to the Local 6pm Edition. It needs to be local, not national.