Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Of course, the ABC also has local weekend news for WA (and the other states/territories) - can’t forget them! :slight_smile:

I think its more about seeing local stories and things that are actually happening in Perth rather than the odd Perth story thrown into an hour of eastern states news.

1 Like

But Nine and Seven have massive news resources, allocate more money to news and also run local bulletins in 5 markets. Ten does not.

Huge difference.

“Stale and old”

Many of the reports in 5pm or 6pm news are from events that happened hours ago or even in the last 24 hours - it’s already stale and old.

Fact is, unless Ten moves to live & local bulletins in each market as a network strategy - there really is not much benefit in doing a news for Perth. Not much happens between 2-5pm on a weekend that can’t be covered intentional bulletin.

Did you even watch the Media Watch report?

Yeah mate its dead as a door nail over here in Perth on weekends! Of course there is news on the weekend in Perth! Its because of all those budget cuts theres no perth bulletin.

I didn’t say there wasn’t news.

But are you advocating a local news service for Perth because they need a fun hour / 30 minutes local news on weekends? In which case there is an argument for local news in all 5 markets - in which case the argument is that Ten should provide local news on weekends.

But if your argument is that the news is stake and old by 2-3 hours - my question is - what happens run those 2-3 hours that is so essential at 2-5pm Sunday? Most of the reports we are used to seeing on the news are a few hours old by the time they are filed

in the US all the evening newscasts are 3 hours old for over 100 million people in the west.

1 Like

I think the news needs to be updated for the WA market - the way the US networks update the top 3-4 minutes with “western edition” if so warranted.

2 Likes

Even if they produced a separate Perth weekend bulletin to be read live into Perth from Sydney (or Melbourne whenever the bulletin floats around). The time difference certainly gives them that option. I assume it would be cheaper than making a locally-read Perth bulletin on the weekend?

Everyone’s goes to sleep any nothing happens. The city basically shuts down just so no one notices that 10 News is 3 hours old.

If you have local news is has to be presented locally! This day and age people dont want to listen and watch a person over east telling Perth people whats happening in there own city. Its just ridiculous! Even if they only do 30 min bulletin containing news, sport and weather thats about 5 mins local news in there mixed with other. With limited people in control rooms and 1 presenters these days it wont cost the world. It brings people to watch the network knowing its a national network not just a sydney based station.

2 Likes

Also re-producing a Perth bulletin from Sydney still looks and feels like a 3 hour old bulletin. You need to have the local presenters to present your flagship bulletin!

2 Likes

Ten doesn’t do local news on weekends.

All that needs to be done is the news monitored and if stories need updating for a western broadcast do that.

1 Like

There’s no way of updating a news story once its been recorded through a bulletin.

How do the us networks do it for the western editions?

CBS have local news stations on both sides of the country and do their own local news on weekends as well as weekdays.

He’s talking about the network news.

But there’s a big difference between local and national news in the US. They brand themselves completely differently and have very different purposes. Here in Australia that boundary is somewhat blurred because local news bulletins are still expected to cover national and international stories, and national bulletins are oftentimes branded in such a fashion that it would be hard for the average viewer to tell it apart from a local news bulletin.

It really is useless to bring in local news in the American context into this discussion because the American market is such a different beast.

I would say that local news on weekends should be introduced but 5pm slots on weekends are relatively unimportant compared to the other nightmares which Ten has across its schedule in primetime. In terms of urgency, it’s something I expect Ten to only care about in a couple of years’ time when/if they’ve turned things around in other areas.

7 Likes

I completely understand that news in america is different to australia but when your only flagship bulletin on ten is 5pm it has to be a mix of local, international news, sport and weather. Theres no point doing it all week to have a delayed national bulletin with no relevance to any perth angles on a weekend.

4 Likes

As with the Media Watch article.

3 Likes