Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

It does seam like Ten News is currently in cruise control until a decision is made on the future ownership of TEN.

I wasn’t talking about the current ten hd.

as for ‘growth and transformation’ … that’s what they are calling it.

1 Like

So does that mean all channels go HD, including 1 and 11

Lachlan in Toowoomba

5 Likes

Who’s that in the live cross to the Newsroom?

Spokesperson (special guest on behalf of)from Blue Hope.

1 Like

Just primary channel 13 not enough bandwidth for all channels!

The Australian is reporting that a decision is nearing on the effect on Ten News of proposed deep budget cuts. The options are as previously speculated, leaving the bulletins as is but with drastically reduced funding, a fully national weekday bulletin possibly with state windows, or a national bulletin outsourced to Sky News but fronted by a current Ten newsreader.

7 Likes

If it’s done ITV style, it’s alright.

But if its going the way that PRIME NZ went…

5 Likes

I think it’ll have to be.

We’re (or have been) pretty lucky in this country to have 5 independent news outlets on free to air for the last thirty years. The UK only has three major outlets (BBC, ITN and Sky News) serving a population three times ours. Four of ours provide state-based local news, while only two do any form of local news in the UK.

Perhaps that only demonstrates why Australia can’t sustain all five nowadays. Lots of choice out there for our comparatively small market.

4 Likes

May I ask how ITV does it?

1 Like

ITV, alongside Channel 4 and Channel 5, tender out their news to one company, ITN. So ITN effectively make news for three major British broadcasters.

About a decade ago, Sky News won a contract to produce Channel 5’s news, although I believe they went back to ITN.

It’s a marked difference from Australian stations, which have traditionally had their news produced in-house.

7 Likes

In terms of how ITV does it with the programming,

ITV First do ‘National’ news at 5:30?? and then do ITV London News at 5:45

Same is done with News At Ten and at 10:40 is ITV News London.

This is what it shows like on the EPG.

3 Likes

I’ve heard that there has been three scenarios presented to the board and a decision will be made within the fortnight, with an announcement by the end of the month.

perfect timing to clean the house before the 17/18 financial year.

5 Likes

Personally , the only thing that may happen is the reduced budget and leave News bulletins as is. Maybe also cut Eyewitness news to half an hour. (Which honestly wouldn’t be a bad idea).

I really don’t like the sound of some options being considered for the future of Ten’s news service. Outsourcing to Sky News would be a disaster. A national bulletin on weekdays (even with local windows) would be a disaster.

Leaving the bulletins as is but with reduced funding (and maybe something like cutting the duration to half an hour) is really the best of a bad bunch.

3 Likes

Pure conjecture on those three options:

1. Scrap local news with national Ten News
  2. Scrap news entirely and tender out to Sky News
  3. Carry on with the current arrangement.

I don’t think scrapping news entirely would be an option at this point. I believe news content is a stipulated requirement in Ten’s licence.

3 Likes

If they decide to carry on with how they are going at the moment (although with a reduced budget), what noticeable differences would there be (that is, if they kept the hour long bulletins)? Job cuts again?

There would be most certainly be job cuts, probably in the smaller markets - like Perth and Adelaide. I do see the hour long bulletins turning into half hour bulletins.

I’ve been told that all three options involve redundancies.

I would speculate:

1. Local news remains, national sport and weather segments,
  2. Local first segment with current news presenter in each market, commercial break then national news from the ‘Ten News Centre’ fills the rest of the hour,
  3. Full network news (like weekends)
7 Likes