Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

To avoid getting off topic in last night’s ratings thread, I’m responding here:

I think Peter Meakin might’ve since left Ten or at least has a very reduced role with them these days? I’m not sure who’s currently in charge of Ten Eyewitness News on a Sydney or national level, to be perfectly honest.

In any case, Ten really need to do something about their news service and sooner rather than later. If it keeps going way it’s going at the moment, I’m very sad to say that I wouldn’t be surprised if Ten Eyewitness News eventually dies a very slow and painful death.

Although I certainly don’t think that Ten’s news service has to go that way. By having the right people in charge who are willing to provide viewers with a strong point of difference to the news services of other networks, I believe that Ten Eyewitness News can not only survive, but thrive.

1 Like

It was announced on April 28th earlier this year that Peter Meakin was taking on a reduced role of Executive Consultant for News & Current Affairs effective 1st May. John Choueifate was announced as being appointed as Executive Director, News from that date also.

The press release can be found here: http://images.tenplay.com.au/~/media/Corporate%20Site%20Media/Files/Media%20Releases/2016/John%20Choueifate%20Appointed%20Network%20Ten%20Executive%20Director%20News.pdf

2 Likes

John Choueifate is the Ten News boss, while Peter Meakin is in a consultancy role

1 Like

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Computer Help

A post was merged into an existing topic: Computer Help

Posts related to Luke’s question regarding uploading videos to You Tube have been moved to the “Computer Help” section.

1 Like

If Seven or Nine had one of their news reporters in Afghanistan, you can bet that they’d hype up the promotion of their reporter being “Inside the Front Line” and that it’s a “Major Exclusive” or something like that.

If I was Ten, I would definitely be heavily promoting Amanda Hart’s reports from Afghanistan because it’s a rare “Exclusive” for Ten’s news service these days which the casual viewer who doesn’t usually watch Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five just might be quite interested in!

Yep, it’s very sad. A few years ago I remember many on Media Spy regarding Ten’s news service as a better product than the Seven/Nine equivalents. For all the criticism that both Seven and Nine’s news services get (quite a lot of which is quite justified, I might add), I don’t think you can say that Ten’s news service is superior to “the big two” these these days for reasons that have been very well documented.

In all honesty, I actually do want Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five to rate well because viewers are undoubtedly better served with more choices for news on TV rather than less. But it’s very hard to support Ten’s news service in it’s current state especially when the network has only one news bulletin a day which will often take weekends off due to sports coverage! :confounded:

2 Likes

I can and will :laughing:

2 Likes

Don’t laugh, but there were bulletins during 2009/2010 where Ten Late News (for example) would pull as high as 600-700k+, it’d also contribute to their nightly share.

Now, fast forward 6 or 7 years… Their flagship nightly bulletin struggles to get 500k! :fearful:

I’ve noticed the Brisbane bulletin ends now with something like “Stay on TEN throughout the evening for news updates & for more news at 6:30 with The Project”.

No mention of WIN Local News or Family Fued, sounds much better.

4 Likes

Interesting use of the Adelaide set tonight, with a cross to Kate Freebairn on set :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Adelaide really does have a nice set! My favourite Eyewitness set despite being one of the smallest.

4 Likes

It really is so much more polished and modern looking compared to the rest & they seem to be intent on making the most of it which is great to see… considering as mentioned it’s fairly small, has static panels instead of screens like most other states and they’ve made the most of its newsroom location and no proper studio to speak of.

I wish Brisbane would do something with their set, there is so much room and potential there! It’s merely a shadow now on its former incarnations over the years and the latest refresh left a lot left to be desired. They need a proper bulk head, weather screen & presentation area, fix the whole lighting and panneling on the walls beside the screens either side.

6 Likes

That is such a great set, very simple yet so elegant. Certainly is my favourite set for the news in Adelaide!

[quote=“killy06, post:893, topic:61”]
I wish Brisbane would do something with their set
[/quote] I really don’t get Queensland. They probably have the second largest studio for Ten Eyewitness News, yet they use so little. The old 2012 set needs to be modified so it is not just sitting there useless.

2 Likes

Some caps from tonight’s edition of Ten Eyewitness News Melbourne;

6 Likes

They really need to go HD :confused:
Adelaide set looks so much better too

1 Like

Obvious product placement is obvious.

Do they even get used?

they never had them before, so maybe maybe not

Placed here as it seemed most appropriate.

I may have found evidence - and yes, this may shock you - of Ten promoting it’s 5pm news bulletin!

That’s 2x40s promos - surely they might end up on primetime at some point (if they haven’t already?)

11 Likes

There are Sydney versions too (an updated backdrop too?), so presumably all markets are running with something similar:

Wait for it…I think these are actually pretty decent promos. Now get them running on a very high rotation, Ten!

10 Likes