Nine Radio (Music)

Despite ATN management, it could be more stable than MRN

Ah yes, how could I forget about overnights still likely to come from Melbourne!

To be honest they could fly all the presenters to London and have them present from a studio there and it wouldn’t sound any less local to Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane than it will do under Macquarie’s plans!

Re. Donna Lynch, she is one of radio’s ‘survivors’. She has survived various changes to 882 and 4BC over the years but still hangs on in there! I still think that after Magic was networked she should have remained in the morning slot she previously hosted on Magic Brisbane rather than being wasted on voicetracked nights.

I hope there is a slot for her somewhere on Talking Lifestyle. I fear however that her on air presence will be reduced to voiceovers for trails and commercials, with her main focus being on her station marketing role. We shall see!

Couple of things about the article:

• first, I doubt many listeners will even notice the change (but, yes, you could say I am being a bit nursing-home-ist).

• I don’t know where he gets that Sydney traffic reports are REGULARLY played on non-NSW stations. That sounds made up to me.

• also, I don’t know how he can say Jones and Hadley have made only token gestures to Queensland. I have never heard them say “our state” or “our premier” as he alleges. I have also heard both talk about Qld a LOT! Anyone who listens to Alan Jones knows he talks about the Toowoomba Airport and Oakey and the mining issues a LOT - even BEFORE he was syndicated on 4BC.

To me, the decision just seems to be a business decision to completely clear out the stations, so that they cost basically nothing. And sure, they might lose some audience, but they still sell shit to the mugs that keep listening.

Media release that came out late last night:

MACQUARIE MEDIA LIMITED ANNOUNCE THE LAUNCH OF TALKING LIFESTYLE IN MELBOURNE

Talking Lifestyle radio personalities attend a VIP event to announce Melbourne launch.

This evening, Macquarie Media announced the launch of exciting new radio format Talking Lifestyle in Melbourne to begin broadcasting on Monday 27 February, 2017.

Talking Lifestyle radio personalities Ed Phillips, Nick Bennett, Dee Dee Dunleavy and Sabina Read along with 3AW presenters Ross Stevenson, Neil Mitchell, Denis Walter and Tom Elliott joined Macquarie Media’s Executive Chairman Russell Tate and Chief Operating Officer Adam Lang at a VIP event to celebrate the company’s new Australian radio format.

The launch of Talking Lifestyle into the Melbourne market follows 18 months of development by Macquarie Media and a soft launch in the Sydney market from September last year.

Held at Queen Victoria Night Market in Melbourne, Macquarie Media Executive Chairman, Russell Tate said: “It’s new, it’s different, it’s never been done before on radio. We’re pretty excited about it and I think our listeners and their peers in the 45+ demographic will be too.”

Talking Lifestyle will be heard on 1278AM in Melbourne. People right across Australia can also listen online via streaming, podcasts and can watch live via talkinglifestyle.com.au.

“It’s new, it’s different…" it’s uneeewsual…

p.s. the announcement going to air on Magic 1278: https://omny.fm/shows/talking-lifestyle/talking-lifestyle-melbourne-1278

3 Likes

That explains why Jono Coleman was filling in for Nick Bennett yesterday.

And Brisbane?

Brisbane not deemed worthy of a similar launch it seems - which neatly sums up Macquarie’s overall attitude to Brisbane.

Promos for Talking Lifestyle now being aired on 4BC.

2 Likes

I should clarify, upon checking, the media release came from a PR agency so maybe the agency was just covering or organising the Melbourne launch.

1 Like

…and it’ll never rate above 3 or 4% but Macquarie won’t care as long as it’s making money and not in direct competition for the news-talk audience.

4 Likes

I reckon they wouldn’t care even if it’s at a loss just as long as it keeps a competitor away

I don’t think Macquarie has particularly tried to hide the fact that this is primarily about income growth and cost savings, despite the public spiel at yesterday’s Melbourne launch. See recent statements from Russell Tate and Adam Lang. Whether it’s something people actually want to listen to comes a distant second.

1 Like

When does magic go off air? Wonder what the last song will be? I did enjoy the mix of music into Sydney. But it will be good to have a local station again.

2ch has the talkback on now as usual.Has 2ch vacated the building yet?

The rubbish has begun.

Networked Magic ended with ‘Thank you for the music’, then a TOH bumper for Andrew McLaren was clumsily cut off.

News is now playing, DAB+ station names updated to ‘TalkingLifestyle’.

Commercials are the same run of station rubbish freebies from whatever has been bought on the talk station 3AW or 4BC. These clients are easily led.

Lots of gaps in presentation, crashed intro.

Talking lifestyle overnight, David Prior who has said he’s ‘live to air’ in three cap cities. Poor bloke.

Sad stuff.

5 Likes

Magic is currently broadcasting Sydney’s 2CH?

Going by the streams, 882 Brisbane has switched but 1278 Melbourne hasn’t.

1 Like

Correct.

Also appearing on DAB list as “* TLS 882 *” (incl asterisks) replacing * Magic 882 *

2 Likes

882 and 1278 just vanished from the Macquarie Android app.

I made a recording and the number of gaps and breaks between segments since the changeover is really obvious in the histogram.

interesting… I cant get 882 or 1278 stream

“No playable sources found”

edit: went direct to the server… looking at that server the listener numbers for 1278 and 882 arent great when compared to the rest of the network