Nine Radio (Music)

Most if not all of the bus drivers that I worked with that listened to Magic now either listen to 612 or 4KQ. It was a fantastic station for background music in public. Mich like how ABC24 is on most TV’s in public areas (shops, waiting rooms etc). Can’t say the same now its quite awful to listen to

You must go to Morningside post office then ,I noticed that too when I was last in there ,

1 Like

Hi Karen Cee
Yep you got it! Morningside Post Office :slightly_smiling:
They’ve been on 4BH/Magic for years up until now. They only recently moved to a Digital Radio maybe last year. But now they’re on 4KQ.
I think they might be the last friend Magic 882 had.
I also personally think it’s the music that’s the real problem. Although I’m sure the networking doesn’t help.

1 Like

You’re right ,this post office has always had their radio on 4BH/Magic until very recently .Its also my local post office,I’ve been going there for about 10 years now

1 Like

And with the Magic studios just down the road at Cannon Hill, I wouldn’t be surprised if a few of Magic/4BC staff (whoever is left anyway) would use this post office - maybe they’ll get the hint :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

And another one bites the dust - Blackers is out at Magic. Story via Radio Today.

So who’s left at 1278 now??

Glenn Ridge, Dave Ferguson and Ward Everaardt.

Speaking of Glenn, his profile on the 1278 website now has him listed as 6-10am. Blackers’ is already gone.

Ward Everaardt is still around?? Mum used to listen to him on 3DB back in the early 1970s when he was plain old “Ward Everard”

Yep, on weekends!

1 Like

Strangely on http://www.2ch.com/shows it has Glenn Ridge and John Blackman listed even though John Blackman just got the sack from Magic 1278/828 yesterday (Friday 27th of May) and he never broadcast into Sydney

How long will it be until MRN network all workdays, drive & nights only keeping breakfast local.

They know it only makes sense for a low-cost music station with the same name.

I’m wondering how many actually work in the Magic/4BC studios at Cannon Hill here in Brisbane(about a 5 minute drive from where I live )these days,must be only admin/office staff ,I don’t think there’s any local programming from there anymore,very sad🙁

It’s really what has become of these stations. Cut price disasters.

1 Like

Not many. News is still there. Only local program is Ben Davis on 4BC Drive. Three or so producers there. Magic has Donna working in promotions voicetracking the night shift. Local, live content across the two stations is 17/288 hrs/wk or 5.90%. Disgraceful.

Christ, it’s that dire?

Macquarie should have flogged all three off along with the 96FM divestment. They clearly have no interest in music radio.

1 Like

That wouldn’t even satisfy the regional local content requirements, would it?

Remarkable to think that a radio licencee in a major capital city is able, and willing, to broadcast less local content than a typical regional station. I know, diversity of voices is greater, so less of an issue from that perspective, but still that’s really incredible

3 Likes

I suspect they’re expecting another ratings disaster tomorrow for Magic, so they got in ahead of the survey release and made quick changes. I loved the comment from Adam Lang to the effect that John Blackman is a great broadcaster but his style wasn’t right for Magic. John’s style is well known, you knew what you were getting when you hired him, he hasn’t suddenly changed his style. Magic’s problems are down more to the format than to individual presenters

2 Likes

AFL will be broadcast on Magic 882 in Brisbane for the first time, as part of the new six-year radio broadcast deal announced today.

Bye bye Magic, hello Lifestyle 882.

1 Like