Nine Radio (Music)

The original plan way back when Jones & Hadley moved to 2GB and there was actually in-house management it was Hadley that would take over from Jones. But now Hadley is an old man himself and you are right, no proper succession strategy. No doubt they have some up and coming talent on staff, namely Michael McLaren and Mark Levy so it will be interesting when the time comes, John Stanley???

2 Likes

As a stand alone now way but certainly 3AW has plenty of surplus talent so maybe they could.

If Russell Tate said today was Monday I would have to look at a calendar myself to believe him. Same goes with Adam Lang.

2 Likes

I’m sure Russell Tate and Adam Lang have more carefully planned what they’re having for dinner tonight than what is going to go to air on Sport Talk in a few weeks.

5 Likes

I wonder if the new sports format of Talking Lifestyle signed up any names yet: former Eon Sports Radio presenters, the presenters sacked from SEN?

Maybe we should get William Hill to run a book before they head back home to the UK…

3-1 Sport Talk
3-1 Talking Sport
4-1 Macquarie Sports Radio (I’m putting my money on this)
20-1 Sportsactive (I don’t think they want the name 2UE mentioned, but it could just work)
50-1 2UE/3EE/4BH
100-1 2UE/3XY/4BH

Any other bets?

2 Likes

John and Garry? For 2gb breakfast. :smile:

My bet is the imaginative Talking Sport name…

I really hope John Stanley is given an opportunity to fill in on shifts at 2GB. From what little I’ve heard of McLaren and Levy, they don’t sound like they’re in the same league as Stanley as broadcasters. It’d be good to hear John commenting on topical subjects again rather than reacting to Garry’s lame jokes.

4 Likes

If you shook their hands or any of their appointees, you’d want to check you have all your fingers after it.

2 Likes

John Stanley in his heart leans somewhat left. Would he fit in on 2GB as it is now?

He didn’t seem too out of place back when he did afternoons when Jones, Hadley and Laws were at UE.

2UE had a range of views though.

You can also add to the list:
Triple M’s attempt to be a commercial version of Triple J between February to March 1996, having Richard Stubbs’ Melbourne breakfast show networked to Sydney and Andy Glitre’s dance music show “The Rhythm Method” moving across from Triple J to Triple M (as if dance/funk music would ever work on the M’s!). Once ratings dived it was panic stations and they returned to its classic rock roots.

6 Likes

Thankfully The Rhythm Method would move to Dance Music Aspirant Community Broadcaster Kiss FM shortly after, I didn’t even know Triple M was Commerciallized Verison of Triple J and Also 96FM becoming Triple M Perth briefly.

Yes I remember that in Brisbane too. I’d also add to the list of disasters the decision to axe Triple M Classic Rock Digital in an attempt to force people back onto FM. Thankfully that didn’t last long.

Also while not a ‘disaster’ as such, when Star 106.9 Ipswich moved to 94.9 to become River 949 they had a short-lived “adult” CHR format which didn’t last long.

2 Likes
2 Likes

John and Garry have sunk to this. Amazing. Fart jokes.

Time to go now. No loss.

1 Like

The most entertaining thing about Talking Lifestyle has always been this thread. I love it. It’s probably got more followers than they have listeners too :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. I read this thread more than I listen to the station. Not into hearing the sound of paint drying.

4 Likes

I agree with you. But it was used on air. 3EE The Breeze. For a while anyway!

EDIT: Sorry Frankie. Missed your post on this above.

2 Likes