Nine Radio (Music)

Only because of legacy shifts of bfast and w’end bfast.

4 Likes

Yes he would. Bob “painstakingly” pre-records his Saturday show in real time as I suppose he can’t handle modern day technology. I still live in hope that 2CH will continue to upbeat their programmes, particularly on a Sunday. Their not exactly setting the world on fire.

1 Like

The easiest solution would be to relay 2CH into Melbourne. At least it would give Melbourne listeners the music programming they deserve. I know, different network now but maybe they could come to some arrangement. Also it might allow 2CH to actually turn a profit!!

1 Like

And will those shows be remaining on the new incarnation of the station? I wouldn’t have thought breakfast would fit a sports format, and weekend breakfast has already moved to 2GB. They’ll be struggling even more without their best rating shows.

1 Like

Maybe a good a compromise. Relax with 2ue, Sydney’s new home of sport and the best classic hits from the 60s to the 90s. Its like the “Triple M” on the AM dial?

And have a similar slogan for the other stations.

I’d still rather the old radio active 2ue station but if they are not allowed to compete with 2GB/3AW/4BC how does that sound.

2 Likes

There are market gaps for music formats in Sydney. 2CH has not entirely nailed that themselves (nor is it the only gap). This leaves room for the 2UE licence holder to capitalise.

3 Likes

Well its no longer a “leak”. It will be sports.

Using the heritage names would be the way to go. 4bh / 3EE / 2UE. Have a sports format only when sport is on, that is relevant to the market. The rest of the time have a music station.

3EE as a name means nothing. It has only been the callsign since the early 90s, and I don’t believe it’s ever been used on air - the stations was known as The Breeze briefly after the callsign change before becoming Magic.

2 Likes

That’s not going to happen. They need a truly unique and original name to position the station in the market but the boffins running Macquarie aren’t capable of coming up with anything unique or original.

They’ll come up with a completely boring and unoriginal name like “Sport Talk”, pat themselves on the back and head out for a long liquid lunch to celebrate a job well done.

2 Likes

John Singleton probably had some tantrum and decided to push ahead with it?

I thin it’s known to some people. 3XY would be more appropriate but try to get that one past the narrowcaster…

1 Like

With less than 4 weeks to go, it’s apparently too early to talk about the new schedule, according to Russell Tate. Too early? This highights the lack of planning that appears to have gone into it so far. By this stage you should have at least your key presenters signed up and be well advanced with your marketing strategy. Yet it seems presenter discussions haven’t taken place yet. Doesn’t inspire confidence.

6 Likes

Nothing that MRN types such as Singo, Tate, Lang and their cronies inspires confidence. They don’t have the radio nous.

4 Likes

Tate knows how to sell KFC in Queensland and how to spam people through marketing company ROKT. 2GB’s success is due to Jones and Hadley, and no one else - as we know 2GB was a wasteland before they arrived.

4 Likes

And it was all too clear from Jones’ prolonged absences last year that they have no proper succession strategy in place for when the day comes when he steps down from his daily show - a day which probably isn’t too far away now. Chris Smith isn’t the answer and nor is doubling the length of Hadley’s show.

3 Likes

I take great joy in binning their rubbish.

2 Likes

I’m sure they’d give up the callsign for the right price… but I doubt MML would be interested.

3 Likes

or better still, bring back Magic 1278 as Melbourne has been without an “easy classics” format for over a year now!

1 Like

Actually is was used, 3EE - The Breeze - 693.

Just posted this in the radio history thread.

1 Like

Maybe they were planning for months? They are just keeping thier cards to themselves. The ironic thing is 2gb say often the government are short sighted on things. Like the nbn being planned on the back of napkin. Often rightly too as it’s the taxpayers money.

But it feels like a bit like pot calling the teapot black here .

1 Like

Something I want to tell Singo…

5a9d000c524f3957048638

2 Likes