Nine Radio (Music)

Like what did management of Macquarie Media thought was going to happen when they turned the oldest commercial station into a lifestyle advertorial station, those in management need to be sacked it has been an utter disasdter.

2 Likes

Exactly right. The more I think about it the less I think it can work. Sport is a limited market even in Melbourne which already has 2 stations.

The gap is BBC2 personality and music-focused, while pushing the hell out of DAB.

2 Likes

It that what Vega attempted?

Unless it’s trademarked, there should be no issue…

Though I’ll be interested to see what they call it.

Sports Australia?

1 Like

strong text Whatever they call it SEN 116 in Melbourne will take the reminnbg 0.3% of their Listreners from them

1 Like

Agree with all the sentiments here, if Macquarie are stupid enough to try and network a sports-talk station across the Barassi line (which they likely will) they might even make Talking Lifestyle’s ratings look good. It just seems like a way for them to be able to use the rights they already have to fill some programming

Admittedly I don’t envy them trying to float a new format on three AM stations in the year 2018, but let’s remember that even just a few years ago 2UE was a modest success as a news-talk station, Magic in Melbourne had a solid and loyal (if not overly lucrative) listener base, and 4BH performed admirably for an AM-band music station in Brisbane. Their current predicament is one entirely of their own making and my sympathies for those at the respective stations only go as far as the staff and personalities doing their best to try and make the decisions of their bone-headed management work on air

13 Likes

Kinda but FM and different time. I reckon it’d work pretty well and it respects the history of 2UE as well, the sports format will tank and we’ll be back here again soon enough.

1 Like

I think they think they attempted it. But it wasn’t really close. They completely missed the mark with both the type of music and the personalities/topics. Have a listen to BBC 2 online.

You’re completely right. It’s a problem of their own making. They’ve managed to turn three stations who were doing reasonably well in their own niche into three complete failures.

1 Like

You can have Coke and Pepsi.
You can have NRL and AFL.
You can have Apple and Samsung.
You can have 2GB and 2UE.

2GB/3AW/4BC’s ratings have not skyrocketed since TL was introduced. So you can have two AM stations successfully existing without fear of cannibalising each other.

MML’s answer is right in front of them.

5 Likes

strong text i ljke bOTHh NRL & AFL, i like bith CokE & pepsi, I like 2GB & 2UE while i am in SYdney iti s hopefully going tO be soon, i love 1116 SEN in melbourne

Look at Kia and Hyundai. They have bloomed after joining forces. Nothing wrong with internal competition .

1 Like

Exactly right. Although not a commercial enterprise, BBC has said in the past that they don’t care if Radio 1 and Radio 2 compete for listeners. This was in answer to some criticism a few years ago when Radio 2 went a bit younger with some of their music.

A bit obscure but Northwest Airlines and KLM (who had a joint venture) also once famously said they didn’t care if you crossed the Atlantic on a plane with a blue tail or a red tail, as long as it was one or the other.

MML wouldn’t have a clue.

ATalking Lifestyle joins the List of Australian Radio Disasters including:
Melbourne Talk Radio - MTR 1377,
CBC Network combining 2UE and 3AK,
Lite and Easy in Sydney & Brisbane,
4BH attempting a Talk Format,
5DN’s Unsuccessful FM Experiment which we’re named Radio 102 - Sounds Like Adelaide to me & X102, Not to Mention SEN’s Adelaide Abortion.
6IX becoming 1080 The Eagle,
4BC axing local Announcers,
3XY’s transplant to Geelong which soon AWA bought the Licence, Closed it Down & Returned it to Melbourne as 3EE The Breeze, and last but not Least:
Gold 1269 & Kick AM in Sydney.

4 Likes

MTR1377 - Melbourne Talk Radio

3 Likes

'Gold 1269" had respectable ratings

1 Like

You can have 2GB and ABC. 2UE would be the third wheel.

1 Like

It was led by Grant Goldman, Sam Gales and Gareth McRay. If only they kept with it.

1 Like

A very wobbly 3rd wheel at that.

You can add a 4th with 2SM, which is just as wobbly.