Nine Radio (Music)

The tone of their voice didn’t sound any different.
I only listened for a few minutes.

Is there an agreement of having 954AM not become a music station for 2yrs? If so, is this about to expire, hence, a format change for TL?

Secondly, whatever the plan for TL, surely it won’t impact John & Gary? They’re doing better in Sydney plus reached 5% at one point. It’d be sad to see them go.

1 Like

I don’t want to see them go, John and Gary are wasted in this lifestyle format and some what embarrassing hearing them talk about how to remove stains from clothing, They should go back to the original format and report on Politics/Sports/News/Entertainment it would be a better show. But if the rumors are true and Talking lifestyle is given the flick for a sports station, I think they will go.

2 Likes

It seems that any suggestion that the CCT will move to Talking Lifestyle is not going to happen as per Ray Hadley this morning. Increased sporting content is probably not on the agenda either.

1 Like

So Macquarie media succeeded in destroying 2ue…with the help of fairfax offcourse.

Why what did Ray say?

CCT I think will stay on GB. I think Ray is a bit like John Laws in the 70s/80s. I think he does influence the management because he rates well. I’d say if CCT went back to 2ue he may not be happy. It’s his baby and I guess understandably wants it on the same station.

But now I do admit there are less options compared to John Laws top rating days. If Ray wanted to leave he may need to have his talk show on FM. John Laws jumped from UE , GB , and UW.

2sm would not be an option these days.

Have to agree, obviously Ray pulls some of the strings but perhaps nowadays not as many as he would like. I suppose the next question is what 2GB will do with Luke Grant. Maybe remain a “floater”.

For Brisbane 882 & Sydney 954 Maybe, Melbourne 1278 will Return to Easy Listening/Oldies.

954 Sydney was a talkback station for decades before the “Talking Lifestyle” relaunch.

I can’t see the “Magic” format ever returning to Sydney. It wasn’t successful on 2CH and I doubt it’ll work on what used to be 2UE.

As I said, more likely to be rubbish talk or. Noise…

This would be a good time to make Talking Lifestyle, JOY 954. And give it to the JOY Melbourne arm.

We don’t need another easy listening station station in Sydney. Just an honest classic hits station. If 2ue is not talk it should be that. They could try Vega 954 am again…

I can imagine the jingle now:

“It’s the way rock n roll should be, the Classic Hits live on 2UE…” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Crocmedia are Reading 954 AM Mind right about Now.

882 SEN coming to Brisbane once Talking Lifestyle Folds.

What makes you think that? Just curious. Brisbane isn’t exactly a great talk market and 4BC struggles compared to 2GB and 3AW, so why would a sport talk station succeed?

3 Likes

It’s obvious from the evidence - 5DN becoming SEN was a runaway success in replacing a low rating station with a sports-talk powerhouse. Networking a Melbourne centric station interstate worked wonders to this day.

Given it worked in Adelaide, I think it’s obvious it will do equally well in Brisbane, especially with the large market for AFL talk there.

3 Likes

Putting the issue of what you do with 3EE aside for a minute, I would actually be surprised if Hutchy hasn’t at least thought about what 954 in Sydney (and to a lesser extent 4BC) might look like as a sports station if he had it (however unlikely that may be at this time). With the SEN shakeup and the addition of more live sport coverage such as the test cricket in South Africa SEN has just backed away from the full on AFL-centric focus a touch, so with the right presenters there’s no reason why a similar format couldn’t be done in Sydney, with local presenters during most of the weekday shifts (obviously with NRL focus instead of AFL) and simulcasting between Syd and Melb for more Australia-wide sports such as the cricket.

Surely in a city of 5 million people Sydney can sustain a 24 hour sports station. Many cities in the US of anywhere between 1 and 5 million have at the very least 2 or 3 of them and they seem to survive, especially the ones which focus on localism during the weekdays.

As much as I love my sports and would love to hear a full time sports station, considering The Big Sports Breakfast on Sky Radio (Sydney’s only sports breakfast program) doesn’t rate that well I really can’t see a full time sports station being sustainable.

1 Like

Sport radio is niche and attracts with it niche advertisers. I think it would be sustainable with shared resources from a multi-city network and straight away would pull bigger ratings than Talking Lifestyle which is probably the key factor.