Nine Radio (Music)

There are some nostalgic radio listeners around, someone tweeted Raf Epstein yesterday on ABC Radio Melbourne wanting him to call it 3LO

But 3LO was in use until the 2000s, and is likely still the official callsign of ABC Melbourne. 3XY whilst it’s demise was in the early 9Os was irrelevant at the time and had been for several years.

1 Like

So with George & Paul saying they’re doing 9am-1pm, I presume that means the 2GB Continuous Call Team will now start at 1pm instead of Midday on both Saturday and Sunday?

As others have said this is clearly the end of Talking Lifestyle. Personally I can’'t see the Sports format working all that much better, although with time maybe it will start to build an audience. But Macquarie will have to throw a lot of resources at it to actually have it work.

Given Sydneysiders can already listen to the Big Sports Breakfast on 2KY, you have to wonder what they will possibly do at breakfast. If you are becoming a true sports station, you have to run a sports brekky show. So do we say goodbye to John and Garry?

Also I presume Clinton Maynard’s weekend show will also be cut within the next few weeks. If so, and if he goes altogether, it will end what I think is a pretty long career with the station?

They could turn the three stations into 2GB Plus, 3AW Plus and 4BC Plus with overflow programs, sport and highlights, and shutdown NTS??

1 Like

If Talking Lifestyle goes “sport” would it mean CCT swaps to 954AM Sydney?

And is probably still in use for ACMA purposes and internally at the ABC.

My personal opinion about this whole talking lifestyle thing is that they will either return 1278 to a music format or a news talk format because those are the only two things Macquarie media are known for and i don’t think personally they wont think up of anything else rather than that and as it relates to 882 they may return that station to a music format

1 Like

Macquarie replacing George and Paul with a similar program it seems.

Oops. My bad!

1 Like

These Mcquarie managers should have known that this advertorial will end in failure, but if it was done to destroy 2ue they succeeded.

2 Likes

What a difference 3 years can make.

2 Likes

2UE News is promoted, so is it possible that the showreel might’ve been produced before MRN fully took over operations of the station?

Anyway, these clips from around the time of 2UE’s 2011 relaunch are also particularly interesting to look back on now:

One of the highest moments for the former 2UE since the Jones, Laws, Carlton, Zemanek era.

A shame it had such a ridiculous ending in Dicko & Sarah… only to kind of go back to it with John & Gary.

Imagine the survey results had they had stuck with that lineup above.

1 Like

Radio Today article also hinting at a change to a light talk - sport format.

Link

Doesn’t mean anything. That site has less inside information and speculates more than Mediaspy now.

4 Likes

Speculates more than MediaSpy?

I didn’t think that was possible?

1 Like

I think Nikole Gunn has summarised a number of the speculations in this thread quite well - and to be honest phrases it a lot more eloquently than what I can :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

As a Cronulla Sutherland Rugby League Supporter I enjoy listening to talking sport on 2sm …

3 Likes

Just heard something on TL that DIDN’T sound like an advertorial.

The presenters were talking about Fetch TV, and one of them said they had issues with theirs whereby it was recording one channel and was watching that on timeshift and had a second recording scheduled, and said that the timeshifted one unexpectedly stopped when the second one started recording.

Did it sound like a editorial comment?