Nine Radio (Music)

They should just remove the talking bit.

l

Ideally from the logo and the station itself, but it’d give them far more flexibility in formatting if ‘Talking’ wasn’t in their name.

4 Likes

Every now and then I flick my car radio over to 954 just to see if it can still be bothered broadcasting.

Then I flick back to 702 / ABC. But not before thinking about how Macquarie Radio destroyed a piece of Sydney radio history. Not before thinking about the personalities that 2UE had put to air over the decades. Not before trying to work out why someone thought a radio station should be called “Talking Lifestyle”.

Somewhere in Sydney there is a 2UE microphone and it is no longer in front of a newsreader, journalist or a personality. It is broadcasting an advertisement. What a waste.

9 Likes

I agree!

And what’s more, they should play a bit of music in between the chat.

That would befit the “lifestyle” name a bit more than just total talk as well.

Maybe this will mark a transition to remove the word “Talking” from their brand.

That would leave it as “Lifestyle Radio”, meaning that playing music would still fit the brand.

Lifestyle 954/882/1278 has a good ring to it.

3 Likes

Yes the death of Gary O’Callaghan this week was a sad reminder of the great station 2UE once was and of how many greats of Australian radio have graced its airwaves over the years. It didn’t deserve to morph into Talking Lifestyle

2 Likes

I keep meaning to check if 882 is still on air but I can’t be bothered :slight_smile:

1 Like

4BH also has a distinguished heritage in the Brisbane market. Amongst other things, credited with discovering (and naming) the Bee Gees.

3 Likes

Never knew 4BH had a DJ called Bill Gates!

2 Likes

Yes, 4BH had a Top 40 format in the 1960s into the 1970s and was then known as the “Top Dog” in radio.

3 Likes

Yes, here’s the rest of the family:

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/council/division-1-747.html

2 Likes

Yes they were " Top Dog Radio" because they were top of the dial on 1390.

3 Likes

TL website has joined the same platform as the rest of the MML network and now looks the same as 2GB, etc.

Good move, except they need to change the heading “NEWS” to something else.

2 Likes

On Radioinfo, Brad Smart delivers savage critique of Talking Lifestyle.

Read more: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/brad-smart-delivers-savage-critique-talking-lifestyle

2 Likes

In that article it states:

That’s true for Sydney and if you add the three stations together, but Melbourne and Brisbane have gone backwards. Cumulative audience from the latest ratings.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/21728915_10210064258427532_5235140841356153646_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=69361088b4f5355f5cb71a9cead9158e&oe=5A525094

1 Like

Good article :slight_smile:
I note in their response Macquarie say "it’s the first format of its kind anywhere in the world"
Umm that might not be a good thing LOL!
There’s probably a reason nobody else in the world is doing it !!!

4 Likes

Interesting how they promote TLS as 2GB’s talking lifestyle.
Because George and Paul interviewed Tony Abbott the news did a grab. It was Tony Abbott told Macquarie. If Alan Jones or Ray Hadley they would say their names.
I feel sorry for John and Garry they are limited on how much news they can talk about. They would never let TLS outrate 2GB.

Certainly no chance of that.

TLS is lucky to be outrating anybody at this stage. You could fit its Melbourne audience into a phone box

6 Likes

I think 2sm should poach George and Paul, John and Garry. For it faults I think 2sm lets it hosts have more control of its content and music. George and Paul probably do too. Not John and Garry.

2SM is even less interested in ratings than MRN is with Talking Lifestyle. I don’t think they’ll be poaching anyone :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

True. They did get John Laws, Id believe having those guys will get more commercial dollars. Would like to see 2sm ratings today, I am sure it would be higher than TLS in the Melbourne & Brisbane markets.

I dont think John and Garry would be on top dollar. Grant Goldman would be similar money as John Stanley?