Nine Radio (Music)

A friend of mine who is a PD/CD says that when you hurt an AM station its “deadman walking” and I agree

2 Likes

Last year on Facebook I lamented the destruction of 2UE by Macquarie, and I was pounced on by one of the on-air announcers (who is still there) saying I was a nobody and that I didn’t know what I was talking about. It’s true that I’m no expert in programming​ a radio station, but everyone could see what was happening to 2UE and denying it didn’t​ change the facts.

I haven’t​ listened to George and Paul for a few months so I’ll give them a go this weekend. If their program is now as bland as the weekday breakfast show I won’t be back.

Ed Phillips on Tuesday afternoon live on Instagram. When I got a notification I clicked the link and watched for a while … there were two others and myself watching, and one of those is a Talking Lifestyle producer.

The Talking Lifestyle social media interaction on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram is as sparse as the listeners.

2 Likes

The George and Paul show, unlike Breakfast with John and Gary, still contains news commentary and topical news discussion. There was a rumour, back when the Talking Lifestyle format was being introduced, that George and Paul were going to walk from the station if they were forced to abandon all news talk in favour of a strictly lifestyle format. To this day they still have their regular chats with The Australian’s Greg Sheridan, the odd interview with a newsmaker and George still does his news commentary at the top of the hour. They rated healthily enough and attracted enough advertising so Macquarie was willing to bend to their will. The rest of the on air talent didn’t have a choice because they were rating nowhere near as well. Their only option was to talk lifestyle or find another job.

3 Likes

Webster? He still has a go in different venues, the format isn’t working, it never was going to.

2 Likes

Getting in my car at 11:00am I thought I’d see what was on Talking Lifestyle rather than listening to KOST LA, Lite NYC or Sunny Detroit as I usually would. The home show was on with a bathroom design expert who talked for ten minutes about taps then ten minutes about shower screens. There was too much detail - (it was similar to the time I inadvertently subjected myself to the demo sales pitch at Godfrey’s). At the end of the 30 min talk there was a promise of more bathroom talk on his next visit to the studio. The time I listened for was not entertaining​, it was downright irritating. In the old days of 2UE the lifestyle segments were limited in time to around ten to fifteen minutes per topic each week, but not now as they have an hour or two to fill each day. It’s mind numbing radio.

7 Likes

Back to KOST LA or…anything else! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If the segments are so long, perhaps a relaunch as Lecturing Lifestyle?

5 Likes

I’d have thought that they way to do this would be to have short segments with music in between and more detailed information and videos online using the website, social media and even podcasts. With voice tracking they could even tailor some segments to each city. Possibly even partner up with experts from reality tv shows to get some cross promotion going.

1 Like

Or Labouring Lifestyle

4 Likes

Just get The Chainsmokers/Justin Bieber (idk who kids listen to these days) to host a radio show and theres your Tweens lmao.

1 Like

I like the idea of Easy 4BH, as there’s a clear gap in the market for the Smooth equivalent for Brisbane.

For 1278, I’d swap the frequency with Radio Hellas to 1422 and relaunch 3XY using Grubby and De De for brekky (given they are already employed by 3AW). Rest of the day automation. Music wise I’d probably rip off the KOOOL format and use the old 3XY Hot HIts jingles, as 3MP is already doing the Classic Rock, which seems to be the territory of 4KQ up north suggested by others. This would probably squeeze Gold104 between Smooth and 3XY(1278). A rating of 3 - 4 (not much different to Magic) would be the outcome.

4 Likes

Sounds like a good plan
And yes 4KQ are certainly bordering on classic rock. Just heard Badlands / Springsteen at lunch time. Which reinforces that there certainly is a gap for Easy 4BH.

George and Paul said Lifestyle radio is into Perth? Is there a dab only station there?

Seems like despite the ratings they plan to grow the network. Those home shopping tv channels don’t rate but they have existed for years. Is this the same thing?

Yeah it would be DAB only in Perth. Unless they’ve closed down 6PR :slight_smile:

I reckon they’re in denial. But it’ll come home to roost eventually. I don’t care what anyone says, you can’t make money if nobody is listening.

1 Like

Given the level of audience interest they could probably argue it counts as narrowcasting and get it on analogue in Perth that way.

3 Likes

I miss the old 2ue a bit. Listening to John and Gary, I feel it would be better if they would cover news topics as well. George and Paul still cover current affairs, having the right balance is important(between news and “lifestyle”). This 2gb and 2ue relationship is like North Sydney Bears merging with Manly.

On the 2gb side I prefer Steven Price topics since he has been doing money news. He also in my view does too much lifestyle. Not saying it should stop 100 percent stop. Those topics can be discussed in detail on the weekend.

I am not 100 percent sure if all the guests always disclose they were paid by the brand or product discussed. I know some definitely do. It should always be disclosed and still provide an honest view of the negative points of that product. Otherwise say it in an ad break. For example in some ways Id like an independent mechanic talk about cars rather than people who are paid to test drive new cars by the car companies.

100% agree with your comments about John and Gary being more newsy. Their show has gone downhill lately especially when they tease things like, “listen to tell us your annoying songs”.

Really? Really??

2 Likes

Listening to TL’s newest show Flashback the other day and quite impressed. Sounded better than sold content. Like My Generation but broader.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/19511377_10209505465818066_1408654412085414234_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=e0643b144ff3cbf870317a896ba4347d&oe=59DE3B00

Surprised this has gone unnoticed. Talking Lifestyle have dropped a significant number of their shows according to their website.

It’s now a lot simpler each weekday with one name for the shows from 9-1, 1-5 and now the Daily Drive from 5-8pm. The revolving door of shows each weeknight has also been simplified.

Notably on the weekends they have removed mention of Catriona Rowntree and David Koch.

Trouble in paradise?

1 Like