Nine Radio (Music)

Yes. That’s when 4KQ briefly topped the Brisbane ratings, beating B105.

2 Likes

1992 ~ when 4BC was ‘Brisbane Country’.

George & Paul told regular guest Roland Rocchiccioli this morning that they are going to get the words “from Melbourne” removed from his intro because they broadcast in to Melbourne now and “we’re all one big happy family…each station broadcasts different things…all the ads are different but the shows are the same!”

I nearly choked on my coffee laughing.

Earlier they claimed they broke a Talking Lifestyle rule by playing two songs in a row. It got me thinking that it would probably be a bigger shock to the system to turn the radio on for the first time in a week, hear two Elvis songs and think you’re on your favourite music station and then get subjected to a discussion of 18C and the Talking Lifestyle programming, than it would be to turn on and hear yabbering and just change station.

5 Likes

Rod Henshaw hosted breakfast, lasted longer than 2 months. But a big flop.

R.I.P 4BH/Magic 882😕

1 Like

I was driving today listening to 4KQ… Suzie Quattro came on so I immediately went to flick to 882… then realised it was no longer there… :confused: I ended up trying a few FM stations before settling on Milky Chance on the all new FM104.5…

Sad that 4BH has gone… even if at the end it was merely something to momentarily switch to when there was a crap song on 4KQ.

3 Likes

Sydney Talking lifestyle still has Pete Graham’s “saturday night live” which runs 7pm to midnight.This is mostly a music based show.Not too sure if it broadcasts in Melbourne and Brisbane though?

There are segments on 2GB which are really good but are often too brief.

For example, Paul Gardner talking about media. Half an hour seems way too short. These segments are a pre-merger legacy.

It would be great to see these types of shows not only moved to but expanded on TL.

Sometimes on 2GB listeners and callers can be in the middle of a ‘hot political topic of the day’ only to be interrupted by half an hour of ‘car talk’ or ‘careers talk’.

2 Likes

We should have a ‘Media Spy’ segment on 2GB :wink:

2 Likes

Agree with this. They need more talkback, they need Mike Jefferies or Brian Carlton style of talkback. Leave the car talk and careers to talking lifestyle. They probably need more flexibility and if there hot topic keep it going.

3 Likes

I thought that was basically what 4BH’s role was. Most times in the car we’d settle on 4KQ and switch over to 882 for a song and then back.

“The Magic Five at Five” or whatever it was called was a good feature though.

Yes - I enjoyed that magic 5 at 5… (though only remember it in the Magic 4BH pre-networked days). I recall they did Richard Marx, five great tracks interspersed with clips from a really inciteful interview… it certainly was a ‘feature’ as you say… one of the few times I have pulled into my driveway after my journey and kept listening to a radio station for about 10 minutes (the kids thought something was wrong with me… haha).

1 Like

Yup my dad was the same. Don’t blame him, it was a pretty interesting show.

Even though I never listen to AM, it’s pretty sad that any notable alternative to 4KQ is now dead.

Yeah it’s very sad. I note 4KQ isn’t "softening"their music any either to cater for ex 4BH listeners. They played White Wedding /Billy Idol just before lunch.

2 Likes

It was called 5 For The Drive

For a while there in the late 80s 4BH was always Brisbane’s number two (with about 12-13%) behind FM104’s 25-30% share. That was back in the ‘Beautiful Music’ days . In 1989 some of the FM104 boys (including David Rymer I think) went to 4BH and made the format a bit more soft-AC… 4BH dropped the 50s, and all the strings-based music of the 60s… I remember at the time hearing 38 special regularly on 882…

Plus I remember working at Myer Chermside at the time (or the ‘Drive In’ as the oldies called it)… I was having my lunch in a little sit down area in the mall and listened to two old biddies go on and on about how bad 4BH had suddenly become and how they had nothing else to listen to… "oh no luv I’d never listen to 4QR, so boring and anti-National Party’, ‘Well, Gerty I certainly wouldn’t listen to that little hussy Laurel Edwards and all her rock music on 4KQ’, ‘Yes Myrtle, 4KQ’s NOT my station’… ‘Oh I miss the old 4BH’.

I guess almost 30 years later, some things never change. Talking Lifestyle - talking number twos.

4 Likes

Sounds about right :slight_smile: Is that when it was BRIGHT and Beautiful?

2 Likes

Yeah I remember hearing that 38 Special song on 4BH back then. So much so I associate that song with them when I hear it.

Would be a bit disappointing for the boffins at Talking Lifestyle if they’re reading this thread. Nobody has much to say about their infomercial station other than memories of 4BH and Magic :slight_smile:

I think Bright and Beautiful was a bit earlier than that, like early to mid 80s.

Indeed… and now cranking Ram Jam ~ Black Betty.