Nine Radio (Music)

Just shows the scam that Light 89.9 is. Music by day. Preaching by night.

Really boring playlist too.

4 Likes

But there is no Easy Listening station in Brisbane except on digital. So it’s an unserved market.

But if upwards of 70% of people claim to be Christian it’s hardly a niche market, which is supposedly the purpose of community radio. I don’t think it meets the requirements for community radio in that sense.

1 Like

So Christians are niche? When most Australians identify as Christian?

1 Like

But if upwards of 70% of people claim to be Christian it’s hardly a niche market, which is supposedly the purpose of community radio. I don’t think it meets the requirements for community radio in that sense.

we are starting to get off topic now but if it was a profitable are to go into don’t you think private enterprise would have moved in?

anyway the decison was made years ago that 96five should be licenced to serve the christian community. as part of the licence condions they need to do this.

This is exactly how John Laws is able to be played on community radio. No John Laws within the market, community station carries it, meets an otherwise unserved market, compliments other choices.

I hadn’t noticed, I only tune in for the simulcast of 9 News and back out again.

Isn’t Vision a commercial enterprise? They pay their staff, operate on narrowcast.

Not 96.5, other community stations, non Christian ones.

2 Likes

Well I’ve heard Breeze 92.1 clearly over at Nudgee

Anyone know what is to become of Talking Lifestyle’s overnight programming? Much to my disappointment, I learnt that David Prior’s weekday overnights is suddenly no more after returning only briefly in 2018. Unsure if Dale Sindon (weekend overnights) is staying on. IMO David Prior’s program was TL at its best - informative and entertaining and never getting stuck on the one topic for too long (as happens too often in the daytime hours).

1 Like

Dale Sindon just provided me answer live on-air. Turns out he’s leaving his shift too. Appears the mid-dawn shift on Talking Lifestyle is being dismantled entirely. Not very impressive. I assume an automated highlights package is taking over? Boring!

2 Likes

Overnights was the only decent program. Nothing left on that station now as I long ago gave up on John & Gary and George & Paul.

2 Likes

David Prior put up a post of the radio desk on Instagram, with the caption ‘shut down, turn off… time to get some sleep’ …which I assume was his farewell to the program: https://www.instagram.com/p/BeqN21jHCQj/

It’s a shame because he really did put together a great overnights show. Does anyone know if he’ll still do on air shifts moving forward? I heard him cohosting the medical show on Sunday night but I’m not sure if that was his last shift?

1 Like

I’d like to hear David Prior put together a Country music program and Dale Sindon get a movie review program going. These program segments are the biggest losses from the schedule. It’s backwards for a so-called talkback station to be automated for a quarter of the day, even though it’s probable the least audience is available overnights - a clear tension exists here between the motives of profit and purpose. Hopefully these presenters will fill-in for others or get another gig (there or on another station). Andrew McLaren also lost his 3AW overnight program at one stage yet everything went full circle with McLaren now co-hosting Nigtline and a local 3AW overnight program reinstated (hosted by Tony Moclair). Perhaps similar will happen at TL. If they have to cut costs like that, one has to wonder if the lifestyle concept is a solid enough one.

Oh just kill it off already. Nobody is listening in Melbourne and Brisbane at least.

5 Likes

We could have told them months ago that it wasn’t :wink:

1 Like

It should’ve been dumped by 2017’s end, replaced with a live music format. Plenty of niches to fill beyond what Smooth do. Wide open in Brisbane too without Smooth on FM.

Originates from Melb but syndicated to many stations interstate. Personally find the elements of the program boring, Moclair can do so much more than being the feel good companion for insomniacs. Luke Bona’s show has life and energy to it.

1 Like

They won’t bring Moclair back to Sydney. If they do it’ll confuse audience again with the 13 13 32 number.

In this day and age it would be technically very straightforward to have a split link when the phone number is given out, so that the TL number goes out on the TL frequencies. I assume the calls to that number could be rerouted from Sydney to Melbourne without problem.

That said, I doubt Tony Moclair will pop up on TL anytime soon, not least because that would then mean simulcasting in Melbourne on 3AW and TL.

2 Likes

or even worse…Alan Pearsall!!!

1 Like

I think it’s location based routing, dunno how it works on slient CLI’s (Caller Line Identification)

That guy should bugger off to 2SM or 2CH, one of the reasons why I don’t listen to 3AW overnights that much now.

Just bring back Andrew Mclaren and Mark Pektovic would they :upside_down_face:

CLI doesn’t make any difference. Location based routing is able to detect where the call comes from based on it’s originating exchange or mobile phone tower. MRN would be able to internally route Sydney calls to their Melbourne studios if necessary.

However, I’d imagine for Talking Lifestyle that location routing isn’t used given that all locations have the same programs live. All calls to 13 12 83 would most likely go direct to Sydney, and internally routed to wherever the relevant program originates.

1 Like