Talkin' 'Bout Your Generation

Andy Lee is Gen Y.

Laurence Boxhall is Gen Z. He was born in England and came to Australia in 2009. He played an English character in Worst Year of My Life Again. His accent was less obvious last year in Ronny Chieng: International Student.

Did the same thing myself earlier. So much better! The new one is just crap.

The old music on the new opener fits so well with the scenes too. Shame they blandified it so much.

1 Like

Oh Gen Z. Whatever that is… I’m still not sure where Josh Thomas got his accent from?

He has no explanation apart from having Irish parents and spending way too much time watching American movies and television shows as a child.

I went to the tapings too, and it was very good actually.

I have British parents and have an odd accent too. It does happen.

The old theme was very upbeat and almost playful, and a healthy blend of generational music. This new one is just off. Sad false hope with the familiar opening chords, then BAM!

Perhaps Nine or the production company couldn’t secure the rights to the songs used in the old theme, so they had to make something new?

1 Like

Nah there wouldn’t be any rights issues with the old music, purely a creative choice to freshen it up. The old one was definitely catchier.

I like the look of the opening titles. Nice way to include everyone who’s appearing on the episode. If they’d designed it to time up with the old music it would have been perfect.

3 Likes

Anybody watching the show tonight?

Awesome to have the show back after a 6 year hiatus. Shaun is hilarious and new captains adding some new life into the show.

7 Likes

I didn’t think I would enjoy it as much as I did. Shaun definitely makes the show!

4 Likes

I didn’t watch the original series but gave it a go tonight. As said, Shaun did a great job and I would certainly watch it again :smiley:

1 Like

Some very funny moments. Shaun was brilliant but Robyn was too.

Was this episode one of the best ones chosen from the middle of the run? Shaun said he won’t talk to Andy because he talks to him every week.

Why did they go with calling the generation Zee, when they are naturally calling the letter a Zed during one of the games? The most annoying thing about the show.

4 Likes

Aside from the jarring change in the theme, I was pleasantly surprised with how familiar it all was (helps it was shot by the same production company who just got all the assets out of storage and not in house at Nine).

Robyn Butler is a great replacement for Amanda Keller, and Laurence Boxhall seemed pretty solid too. Andy Lee isn’t really giving Shaun as much lip as Charlie Pickering did, which is probably the one thing that I miss from the original.

But you can’t remake a show with a new cast and expect the dynamics to be the same.

If Shaun didn’t have the beard I wouldn’t be able to tell his performance apart from the old era though, he’s still the star.

Also the set is way too busy, the original is much better in its simplicity and general narm charm.

5 Likes

Pleasantly surprised tonight. Will happily admit to be wrong here - strong choice of captains and guests too, let’s hope it continues!

1 Like

Seemed that Shaun had a dig at the Zed vs Zee thing too. He said: “Generation Zee, as everyone insists I call you.” The audience laughed and Brenna & Laurence themselves looked perplexed. He repeated at the end when they won.

Didn’t watch, didn’t record (thinking it’d be a terrible relaunch), but after seeing come positive comments/praise I’ll jump onto 9Now :+1:

Was one of my favourite shows on Ten.

The show was hillarious tonight. Glad it’s back. Can see this rating very well.

2 Likes

1 Like

I liked it very much, just as good as it was on Ten (apart from the terrible theme music). Also good on Nine for timing the show at 7:30pm so it doesn’t clash with HYBPA. Definitely watching again next week.

2 Likes