Talkin' 'Bout Your Generation

It depends on whether they are contracted to a show or a network. Julia Morris has managed to surf between Nine and Ten for the past couple of years, as has Jessica Marais.

What time slot do we reckon -7.30? I assume Nine will only commission one series a year.

I’m thinking Nine would be wise to launch this on a Tuesday at 8:30 following Married at First Sight.

I’m thinking it’ll go in one of the slots replacing The Block with Family Food Fight in the other 3. Maybe FFF Sunday - Tuesday and TBYG Wednesdays.

1 Like

I was in the audience today and can confirm those captains were in place.

Generation Z were terrible and really weakens what was otherwise a great show. There was a disconnect from the other teams and they didn’t engage in much banter at all.

I also question how much talent 22 years or younger they could even get on the show anyway?

Robyn and Andy are great though.

3 Likes

So Andy is a team captain? Now I don’t feel like watching it. Nine are in love with those two.

Had a feeling that would be it’s biggest problem. Last time it was Gen Y that struggled. Probably would have been smarter to have kept the Baby Boomers. Gen Y are at the point now where they can shine.

I can’t think of a single well known Gen Z person outside of Bindi Irwin, Anja Nissan and Nick Kyrgios. Who are they planning to get each week other than compete unknowns?

Today we had:

Gen X - Robyn Butler and Dave Hughes
Gen Y - Andy Lee and Madeleine West
Gen Z - Laurence Boxhall and Jayden Hunt

Even on paper you can see what’s wrong with this. Baby Boomers should have got the nod.

2 Likes

And who’s Anja Nissan? :laughing:

ETA: I just googled her. It’s Anja Nissen. See, you don’t really know her. :wink:

the only semi known Gen Z I can think of would be from Neighbours and Home and Away and I don’t think they would be allowed on Nine would they?

1 Like

Youtube “stars” :roll_eyes:

Left (or right) of field here but I thought Gen Z started from 1998. Which would make only people 19 and under eligible.

If Gen Z can’t get in the banter, that’s the talents problem, not the generation. Shoulda kept BBs.

I hope 9 don’t royally fuck this up like BBAU.

7 Likes

Gen X is usually anyone after 1965 - 1979
Gen Y is usually taken from 1980 - 1995
Gen Z is usually after…

There are actually no definitive timeframes for the generations. There are lots of different theories.

I have heard the theory that a generation should be 18 years which is the legal age and then the next generation starts.

So Baby Boomers were born 1946-1963
Generation X 1964-1982
Generation Y 1983-2000
Generation Z 2001-2018

Bur various studies and statistics are based on all sorts variations. And for some strange reason people have decided to make generations Y nand Z shorter too.

1 Like

The general consensus is very blurred depending on who you ask, most seem cover around 16-20 years, though dramatic shifts in society and technology in recent years are pushing those windows to the smaller end of the scale.

Using TAYG’s original 2009 promos as a rough guide, they considered:

Generation Years Contestants Range (2009) Contestants Range (2017)
Baby Boomers 1946-1964 63 to 45 years (71 to 53 years)
Generation X 1965-1979 44 to 30 years 52 to 38 years
Gen Y 1980-1996 29 to 13 years 37 to 21 years
Gen Z 1997-?? N/A 20 to 0 years?

I guess including Gen Z may help them connect to teenage audiences as a family show. However, while Gen Y had near a decade’s worth of adult celebrities (18+) to play with, Gen Z realistically only has 2 years, perhaps 3-4 if they want to stretch it to 16-17 y/o (how many actual u18 celebrities are there?). I personally will reserve my judgment until the series airs.

I thought Butler would fall into Baby Boomers obviously I was wrong. Will be interesting to see how Andy Lee goes solo, I never find him funny without Hamish.

1 Like

It’s all up in the air. I had to do a research project based on generations for my HSC and I encountered sources for Gen Y which ranged from 1977-1994, 1980-1995, 1982-2000 and even 1982-2004! I wouldn’t necessarily say that people have decided to make Gen Y and Gen Z shorter, because it really varies from person to person.

Anyway, back on topic, I agree that the Baby Boomers shouldn’t have been removed from the show. The youngest BB’s are only in their early-mid 50s, so it’s pretty ridiculous to remove them IMO.

It’s change for change sake, which is terrible.

But wait until you hear the reworked theme tune…it’s even worse! Hopefully over summer they realise the original theme is perfect and use that instead for 2018.

3 Likes

Is it a rework of the original theme, or a completely new theme (hope not)?

They may think that they’re making it fresh and interesting, but the viewer would no doubt like a return of the original format. Make some minor changes to keep it fresh, but the skeleton of the show should remain.

We sturggled to hear it in the studio, as it only played faintly on the monitors. But it sounded like the orginal Talkin Bout My Generation by The Who mixed in a with a few other parts. Very slow and far less energetic than the previous theme. Definitely a step down in quality.

1 Like