Talkin' 'Bout Your Generation

Do you recall who the guests were?

I could go into how much of a disconnect the youngest Gen Y & Gen Z to the other generations. most people who are big from the generation the other two won’t know because they’re prominent online. there are many comedians (like actual ones, not shitty Instagram ones) that wouldn’t want to/or won’t be allowed to appear for many reasons (mainly because of saying cunt too much and they talk so much shit about network TV), but they are out there and they are somewhat big.

Then there’s the whole older Gen Y/Gen X that won’t know the personalities and added to that, is gen z won’t be watching this show as much as the other generations.

it’s hilarious but they need to stop fucking around like HYBPA? with the extra time I really thought that they could add one or more rounds but they’re just being wild. pretty sure The original TAYG

side note - I miss Amanda Keller’s laugh whenever Shaun said anything weird.

Yes I do but we did agree to an NDA as conditions of entry to the audience.

I can tell you it was a themed episode and it may (or may not have :stuck_out_tongue: ) featured the frontman from an Australian rock band.

MONDAY 18 JUNE AT 7.30PM

Helen Dallimore, who has been spotted on the Nine Network as Olivia O’Neill on Here Come The Habibs, takes a seat next to Gen X captain Robyn Butler on Monday night. Andy Lee of Gen Y is joined by comedian Nick Cody, and just chillin’ on the end of the desk is Gen Z team captain Laurence Boxhall with actor, beat boxer and all-round cool girl, Bernadina Van Tiel.

1 Like

Who?? I’ve known 0% of the Gen Z guests, and I am a Gen Z (an older one, but still).

1 Like

I’m only watching for Shaun tbh

5 Likes

MONDAY 25 JUNE AT 7.30PM

The gods have proven generous by granting us the gift of not one but two actors, Claudia Karvan and Liv Hewson, plus comedian Rhys Nicholson. In return, they get to watch a mating ritual as old as time and one team member transforming into a Middle Eastern delicacy.

The guests are getting worse and I think this is what is killing the show.

Gums are flapping over this all-ages mind-brawl between comedian Sam Simmons and actors Georgia Flood and Morgan Baker. Can they decode the rubric of ancient civilisations or will the wheels fall off first?

Georgia Flood is only 24 and yet the way the format now works she is in the middle generation? Having her and Morgan (Callum from Neighbours) makes the show skew way too young.

They should have kept Baby Boomers and even had X,Y and Z and the show might have stood a chance, even though it would be getting busy with 8 players. Or better yet just BB, X and Y/Z.

But for now there’s no chance in hell this gets renewed. I’m actually surprised this has turned out so bad given the original producers and Shaun are both still calling the shots behind the scenes.

1 Like

I dont find it that bad. It is the only show apart from HYBPA that has me laughing out loud every week.

I reckon if they go a second season they need to bring baby boomers back or alter the age brackets a bit. So many oldy comedians and talent missing out

1 Like

HYBPA is evidence that age really doesn’t matter when it comes to attracting younger viewers. They rarely have younger contestants on yet do so well in the demos because the show is genuinely very funny and feels fresh and slightly irrelevant.

TBYG by comparison feels manufactured and Lawrence Boxhill, as talented as I’m sure he is, is not somebody who will ever appeal to young viewers (quite the opposite, I’d suggest he’s typical grandma bait).

3 Likes

Ratings suggest he’s neither.

2 Likes

While this show has its fans and is a nice idea with nostalgia value, today’s audiences have not connected with it in the same way as audiences did year’s ago when it first aired. When the current series ends it should not be returned.

I actually like Lawrence, while he’s only got a few credits under his belt, he’s still appeared in programs younger viewers would know… and TYAG-wise I think he’s doing a standout job - he holds presence and chimes in with decent jokes…
What exactly makes you think he won’t appeal to younger viewers?

I also thing the quality of the gen Z guests is equal to those of the other teams - none of them have really been stand out celebrities so far.

Ratings wise, I would be leaning more towards an inappropriate time-slot. It’s not a late night format, it’s not a Monday night format and it shouldn’t be competing against HYBPA.

HYBPA is cheekier and is more suitable to the later viewing time, where as the humour on TAYG is more family orientated.

2 Likes

Next Monday

Gums are flapping over the all-ages mind-brawl between comedian Sam Simmons and actors Georgia Flood and Morgan Baker when Talkin’ ‘Bout Your Generation continues on Monday night at 7.30pm on Nine and 9Now.

Yeah it’s definitely still watchable, but given the original format was one of my favourites it a shame to see this version seem so half-baked. The show misses a Charlie Pickering type character.

Liv Hewson was the first Generation Z contestant so far that actually provided any real energy or wit to the format.

So during this episode Shaun was calling the team Gen Zed some of the time, instead of Gen Zee. And because it was filmed so long ago some of the jokes, like the Barnaby Joyce one, sound dated already and mentions of things happening next year like season two of Liv’s show have already happened.

2 Likes

Surprised they didn’t remove the Stephen Hawking reference in tonight’s episode, or at least edit to reflect his passing.

It didn’t necessarily feel distasteful but definitely made the episode feel outdated.

1 Like

One reference that felt extremely outdated was Shaun mentioning Belle Gibson in a joke last week or the week before. She reached top infamy in the media way back in 2015.

Would have been difficult to edit that one bit which was vital for the joke to work but it did look a bit insensitive, given he has since passed away. Again, that’s the problem with having filmed such a long time earlier to screening.

Also a few Gen Zed, Gen Zee, Zed, Zee moments again.

1 Like