Talkin' 'Bout Your Generation

I watched tonight, and I enjoyed it. I could critic minor things (the set was the wrong way, the theme and intro were not as good as the original, the original crew had better chemistry) it was good. Those minor things are either overall insignificant or things that may be improvable as they film more episodes.

My one major issue is that I wasn’t feeling about the show was Gen Z. The show probably wanted to market to a “young, hip, crowd” but I feel they were too naive to play most of the question based games and were not contributing to the dynamic of the group. They should have went with a Baby Boomer team like the original.

1 Like

We had the same problem with Gen Y last time. And when Shaun tried questions that related to them, he couldn’t get the pronunciation of Bella Hadid right or know it’s Ariana Grande rather than Ariella. :laughing:

There has also been some criticism on social media about Andy Lee being passed off as Gen Y when he is 36 and on the cusp. But on social media they said he didn’t know who Dr Zoidberg is, so that makes him Gen X. :wink:

The generation periods are always a contentious issue so are not always that clearly defined as this show does. Many people believe that a generation lasts longer (about 18 years) so Gen X would really be 1965 to 1982. Gen Y would be 1983 to 2000 and Gen Z would really be anyone born after 2000. This show doesn’t agree.

Wanted to like it, and did kinda enjoy it, but it looks like Shaun isn’t 100% committed to being there… I wonder how many $$$ Nine threw his way to do it

If it’s not the first episode filmed and they are showing what they think has the best content/chemistry first, I hope it gets better

1 Like

My understanding was that it was the production company who pitched the idea to Ten originally who passed up the opportunity to pick it up again, so it was then shopped to Nine… I doubt they would have had to go too hard with negotiations either for Shaun or the show.

Yeah I think Shaun was on board before the show was pitched to any network. If I recall interviews he was part of the pitch.

The first episode was very enjoyable, they’ve successfully maintained the spirit of the show (yes it’s mostly Shaun but still).

I was so happy that they’ve kept all the original sound effects! I can overlook the terrible theme music (I like the look of the titles themselves) knowing that the rest of the sounds of the show are back!

Was secretly hoping for, but not at all expecting Trust Me in the first episode. I’ll be excited to see what new games they’ve added to the list, the licking letters one was quite entertaining. I’m hoping we see Stuart the Meerkat again, or maybe a new stuffed animal or toy.

1 Like

Just finished on catch up. Who is Laurence? Never seen him before. He is quite good though.

1 Like

I enjoyed it and will watch again. Did feel that Gen X and Y were a bit close in age (only 2 years between Kate McLennan and Eddy Perfect) which ruined the dynamic a bit.

Hopefully in future weeks they will have some older guests for Gen X and younger ones for Gen Y which might help create a better spread of ages.

And as somebody born in the early-90s I can’t say I identify with somebody like Andy Lee particularly strongly. I realise I’m at the tail end of the generation but still think they’ve made the mistake of going with somebody who they think my generation will like rather than somebody they identify with.

2 Likes

I also quite enjoyed the show and will watch again (if I have time). If there’s one (or two) thing I have to criticize is the set and graphics. The set and the graphics seems quite garish and gaudy, which kind of makes the show look ancient.

But that’s probably just me.

Laurence Boxhall had a supporting role in Ronny Chieng: International Student and was one of the stars of children’s series Worst Year of My Life Again.

1 Like

I noticed that the Gen X buzzer was different (electric whoosh), but didn’t notice until watching for a second time that the Gen Z buzzer (laser zap) is the former Gen X buzzer.

Not sure what the Gen Z buzzer is meant to represent. IMO, the Baby Boomers alarm was Cold War, Gen X lazer zap was ray guns from the modern sci-fi genre that was born in those decades (Star Wars, Terminator, etc.), and Gen Y’s was a text tone.

The new Gen X buzzer reminds me of 3D Space Pinball, which would ideally be more fitting for Gen Y or the older Gen Zs.

2 Likes

Repeat of this show:

Unfortunately I don’t have the Laurence Boxhall screenshot of him

1 Like

The Phantom of the Opera moment? :joy:

That back ground looks like they have the same set designer as 1980’s Playschool

Next week:

Robyn is joined by funny man and radio star Dave Hughes, Andy is joined by actor, author and supermum Madeleine West, and Laurence is joined by Melbourne Demons superstar, Jayden Hunt.

From the promo it looked like Lincoln Lewis?

3 Likes

Don’t see any resemblance personally.

2 Likes

That’s who I thought it was too, at first.

more hair

1 Like