Supermarkets and Retail

We still have these lying around in my house, it says 2008 on the back of them… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Nothing more appetising than a good glass of that Standard Milk.

10 Likes

Do they have an Unleaded Milk too? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

I suppose the old Home Brand sticking around in NZ is a side effect of Aldi not existing there to give the existing supermarkets a kick in the bum to improve their branding.

1 Like

I think that’s the old signage. Top Ryde from memory has one of those big floor to ceiling logos at the entrance like target has. They were refurbishing the store recently so I assume that is the latest.

Store refurbishments are great and all, but they haven’t yet fixed their main problem which is the product range and it’s poor online capability. Woolworths are doing the same thing they have done with BIGW for the last decade…Window Dressing…Playing with the edges…

They need to tear the whole thing apart.

They can’t even do refurbishments right in the first place when they still have stores out there that were not re-branded 10 years after the previous logo was launched… Woolworths is really quite infamous for this - When they owned Dick Smith / Tandy they somehow had stores in the network that had not had a refurb in at least 30 years - almost as long as Woolies had owned Dick Smith and for 10yrs+ after they’d purchased Tandy.

Not to mention they still have supermarkets out there as proven by this thread that have not had a refurb in at least 20, maybe even 25 years.

3 Likes

I don’t know if it’s actually true or not, but to me, Coles feel like their average store is older, but that there’s far less of a gap between their older stores and their newer ones - not fully consistent, but either they age better or the newer designs are not as much of a departure to make the old ones feel as old as they do.

3 Likes

New Big W signs are appearing on the exterior of my local shopping centre, it looks like they’re throwing at ‘coles’ by going inverted with their colours, (white text, blue background)

1 Like

Remember, Standard Milk goes down well with “Rice Pops”.

5 Likes

Speaking of Woolworths, I visited the new store at The Glen this morning on my way to work. It takes up half of the lower ground level of the space previously occupied by David Jones (which now operates only on the ground level during the shopping centre’s redevelopment) with Aldi taking the other half. While the old store had the main entrance, fruit and vegetables, bakery, seafood and meat department on the far left, they are now on the far right of the new store. The meat department has also been split into two with one display for deli and one for raw meat. A sushi department has also been added. The open display for dairy products and ham has most been replaced by glass door fridges. There are more self serve checkouts (12 compared with 6 at the old store). The new layout looks good but I don’t really like the lighting at the new store, I feel it is not as bright as the previous location.

1 Like

Yes, there is still a few Homebrand products at Woolworths. Saw these today, and there are others including garbage bags, cling wrap and aluminium foil.

4 Likes

I swear that Home Brand wild bird seed is Aldi’s premium trail mix…

6 Likes

Sounds like an ACA story tip off right there! I look forward to the testing and then Choice making their recommendations.

1 Like

Unless Aldi do it too. :wink:

Bunnings confirmed to take over the old Masters store at Majura Park, Canberra.

4 Likes

Wesfarmers posted strong results, but off the back of excellent (as always) figures from Bunnings and Kmart.

Coles also strong, but down on the past decade where its growth was fantastic beat Woolworths countless timss. Affected by the price wars. They did say Liquorland had a great result.

Problem child is the Bunnings overseas venture, not good :confused:

1 Like

Are Homebase/Bunnings losing sales to another hardware chain? Or are sales just down overall?

http://www.calorieking.com.au/foods/portionwatch/index.php?action=viewcat&cat_id=11

Check out this time warp!

There are heaps of photos of old product packaging in the ‘portion watch’ section of this website. I reckon these all date back to around 2004.

^^ This Kraft ‘Free’ salad dressing - I remember finding it in the back of the kitchen cupboard as we were clearing out to move to another place… This was in 2010, and the best before date was 2004.

5 Likes

Seeing as it was 6 years over the “best before” date, I’m sure it would have had a really funky taste to it! You should’ve tried it out before chucking it out. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes
2 Likes