Supermarkets and Retail

There are some things I will pay full price for (but I love it when they are on special) in the supermarket:

• Mouth wash (Listerine)
  • Weetbix
  • Windex
  • Toothpaste (Colgate or Oral B)

There are other things that I only buy when they are on special:

• Omega 3 capsules
  • Shampoo

What is everyone else’s thoughts. Full price versus special only.

I generally buy two or three of things that are half price or on special and avoid paying full price on a lot of items.

Coffee - only when on special - they I get enough to last until the next special. Also “muesli” bars must be on sale.

1 Like

I stock up on most things when I see them on special. The only exception is fresh food and dairy. Coffee, laundry powder, cleaning supplies, toothpaste and deodorant are the main things I stock up on when I see them on special. I refuse to pay $20 for the washing powder I like so I always buy an extra box when I see it is half price. Haven’t paid full price for years.

1 Like

I am going to add coffee (Mocona) and washing powder (Omo) to my lift of only bought when on special. Why pay $20 for Omo when I can buy it for 50% off?

1 Like

I always buy muesli bars when they are on special, but I buy frozen vegetables and orange juice whether they are on full price or special.

Coles have had a few deals recently where you can scan a FlyBuys card at Coles Express for a fuel discount - so they’ve clearly got the tech to do that, why can’t they store the 4c vouchers on there?

Despite frequently spending enough at Coles to get the vouchers - they just sit on receipts I throw out and I buy my fuel from Woolworths, because I can just scan a card.

In my case, the local Woolworths petrol is only a few hundred metres further than the Shell, so that doesn’t factor into it for me - but if people just went to the closest one, they wouldn’t need to offer the discounts in the first place.

2 Likes

Yesterday TK Maxx revealed its first seven Sydney stores would be located in the former Trade Secrets stores at Campbelltown, Castle Hill, Chatswood, Fairfield, Hillsdale, Mount Druitt and Penrith which would all open on April 27. Its five Melbourne stores will open next week.

1 Like

Why is TK Maxx known as TJ Maxx in America?

TJ Maxx and TK Maxx are both owned by TJX Companies. American stores are called TJ Maxx while overseas stores (including Australia) are called TK Maxx.

But why?

does not compute

5 Likes

The company modified the name to T.K. Maxx to avoid "confusion with the established British retail chain T J Hughes

Australia doesn’t have TJ Hughes. It should be TJ Maxx in Australia.

But we are still not part of America so that explains why we are the same as the rest of the world. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’d say it has everything to do with being part of a different division of the parent company TJX Companies. In America the stores are part of the TJ Maxx division while overseas they are part of the TK Maxx division. I notice from wikipedia that in Canada they have retained the Marshalls brand name.

Myer has brought Marcs and David Lawrence

Woolworths and Coles are looking at rounding prices down which could mean the end of the 5 cent coin.

Pie Face has been acquired by United Petroleum

1 Like

K-Mart has done this for years now and the same connotation with the end of 5 cent pieces was never made at the time.

1 Like

The primary reason for this shift will be to increase operational efficiency. The long term goal will be to reduce to just gold coins (and maybe 50s) in cash registers which will free up literally hundreds of thousands of hours per year currently spent processing coins.

2 Likes