Supermarkets and Retail

Target has been ruined already with Guy Russo making it look cheaper and empty.

The new one in Waurn Ponds, VIC looks very nice. Looks very stylish inside, the layout copied from Kmart a bit but I really like Target, their products are of decent quality for a mainstream department store.

1 Like

I now officially avoid Coles supermarkets. I wear reading glasses but have perfect long distance vision. I thus don’t carry my glasses with me.

I can’t read the new Coles automated checkouts.

The people who designed these machines either had 20/20 short distance vision or wear glasses in their every waking hour.

I now avoid Coles and don’t play Keno (as I can’t read the printout).

1 Like

I don’t play Keno, well not for about eight years, as it is easily addictive and a way to lose a lot of money.

2 Likes

The people who make these changes don’t test them out on the general public.

Something similar happened with the train indicator screens in Sydney. For what must be a couple of decades they had dark blue screens with white print, which you could see down the whole platform. When they rebranded recently they changed it to white screens with black print. The screens are old and many look grey or yellow. Impossible to read unless you’re standing right under them.

And then there’s the rebrand of signs from white print on blues (which you can read from space) to white print on orange which on a sunny day just blends in. People get paid a lot of money for these rebrands even when they are an epic fail.

1 Like

Solomon Lew confirmed he had acquired a 10.8 per cent strategic stake in Myer for $101 million through his listed investment company, Premier Investments, but isn’t currently planning on making a full takeover offer. Lew was a Coles Myer board member for 20 years and his family is one of Myer’s single largest suppliers through wholesaler Voyager Distribution, which supplies branded and private label goods.
http://www.afr.com/business/retail/solomon-lews-premier-investments-confirms-108-pc-stake-in-myer-20170328-gv8m8h

Years ago the supermarket in Summer Hill (Sydney’s inner west) was a Half Case. Then it was a Franklins. The past few years it has been a Romeos IGA. It was a rundown store that was very third world.

It has been refurbished in the past six months. It is now stunning.

It also has double the customers (that’s my anecdotal evidence).

I miss Franklins.

3 Likes

I saw a Dewson’s trolley at my local IGA not too long ago, and a building somewhere in Perth still has a Dewson’s painted logo, albeit faded!

I too miss the days of many independent supermarkets like Action. I remember their last ad in 2004 with the introduction of the “Means a Great Deal” slogan. Following year I went to my local Action to see it was converted into a Supa IGA, but looks very much the same, but I’ve heard the store was bought out, and changes may be happening soon.

I miss Flemings. Not really. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They were Fabulous.

2 Likes

After the Flemings family sold their supermarkets to Woolies, they opened up Jewel Food Stores.

1 Like

There are still a couple of Flemings still operating.

I believe Bexley North and Jannali are the last two that haven’t been converted to Woolies.

They really are just Woolworths with Flemings signage out the front, but the interiors are very 1960s-era.

They’re quaint, I wouldn’t want to see them go any time soon.

When did Coles last rebrand? It’s website and current branding are starting to look very tired and old!

The current logo was introduced in 2007, although, a slightly modified logo has been used more and more in the last couple of years. I believe it was introduced around 2015. The latest ‘Down Down’ campaign was introduced last year.

2 Likes

Speaking of Coles, this morning’s Sunrise did a live interview with 85-year-old Brenda Palmer, who works 4 mornings a week at the checkout in Malvern in inner Melbourne. She has been working for the company for 50 years and is the face of Coles’ new campaign that extra 10,000 checkouts will be open during the Easter period.

FYI here is an article from Stonnington Leader two years ago on Brenda.

4 Likes

I shop at this Coles but have never seen her. I guess I never shop in the mornings.

There’s a woman at the Woolworths near my childhood home that was there when my mother used to push me through in the trolley as a toddler- back in the days when the groceries still had price stickers and the prices had to be punched into the register. She must’ve been straight out of school at that time and was very petite and pretty. She disappeared for a few years to raise her kids. Mum says she still asks after us when she goes through her checkout.

3 Likes