Supermarkets and Retail

It’s going on the west side of the mall, where the 2nd checkouts were for target which was never used so target closed that area off when they did the last renos.

So it’s going to be a very small store then.

According to their head office, they’re opening only Joondalup for now with no other stores confirmed. It would be great to see them at Midland or Rockingham.

Looks decent sized in area, just unsure how far Target has pushed back its store size. Will look next time I go, all I saw was the sign and I know before that it was a big open area and was used for activities over summer holidays. I hate going to Lakeside as traffic and finding a park can be a nightmare!

With Wesfarmers, it’d be smart just to continue investing in reducing operating costs & investing in their operations.

They’re already Australia’s biggest advertiser.

Considering the pending shopping centre renovations across the Perth metro area I’d expect them to appear in Carousel, Garden City, Mandurah & Innaloo or Karrinyup within the next 5 years.

Surprised they’re coming back though, although they’re very different now to how they were in the 90s - not really a department store as such anymore.

Thank goodness those terrible shopping centre cap laws were removed a few years ago. Labor brought them in in 1991. Garden City, Carousel, Karrinyup, Innaloo and Morley are going to be some serious big gun centres.

I’m not surprised that Harris Scarfe is back given they’re in most other states.

Well they have ‘Harris Scarfe Home’ stores which are often in homemaker centres, and the normal department stores. Could be either one?

Coles has opened a new store in the northern Brisbane suburb of Alderley where you can park for free for only 2 hours. Any longer than 2 hours and it costs $77.

David Jones has announced plans to open stores at Carousel, Innaloo and Whitford City.

That’s way over the top. They usually have a smaller amount just past 2 hours and then rising over time.

I noticed that whenever they’ve tried to introduce paid parking in smaller shopping centres in Sydney it causes chaos and they soon discontinue them. Not so much a problem in some of the upmarket suburbs which sometimes charge upon entry.

I think Costco at Docklands in Melbourne has a similarly outrageous rate for parking over two hours, unless you validate your parking in store.

Perhaps one of our Melbourne doyens such as Johnson or Luke can confirm.

6 Likes

Good and bad news for Woolies. Woolworths sales up, Big W sales down

1 Like

Woolworths pokie, hotel and grog business increased earnings by 3.1%. They have renamed the liquor division to Endeavour Drinks Group, drinks being a more modern term than liquor.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/cbd/booze-grub-and-pokies-not-enough-to-save-woolworths-from-profit-slide-courtesy-to-its-grocery-success-20170221-guicgg.html

I think the problem with Big W is that their range of products are too extensive however the quality of said range doesn’t match the price for the products across numerous product categories. They have made some questionable decisions such as removing the gardening section selling live plants and replacing it with a party section is one such example.

1 Like

I would often visit Big W when I was browsing for CDs, books or even magazines and end up buying other thingd. Now that those sections have disappeared or shrunk, I have no reason to even go in there unless I go in there specifically for something which is so rare.

It’s pleasing to see Woolworths’ ‘food’ revenue grow, also higher than Coles for the first time in more than 7 years.

However the company as a whole is still in all sorts of dramas, with some figures worse than expected by analysts & more importantly the basket-case “Big W” continuing to spiral out of control.

For that reason, Coles Group & Bunnings (Wesfarmers) are still out in front, in a much better position. Target’s performance is also expected to become better as this year goes on. They also defended Coles’ lower-than-normal revenue growth, saying it was inevitable due to Woolworths $1 billion lower prices package.

Thoughts?

I’m glad you hold me in such high esteem :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But I have no idea, apologies.

1 Like

I haven’t been to Costco so I can’t confirm the parking cost there either.
However the $77 cost for parking longer than 2 hours at Coles Alderley is outrageous, even though most people don’t spend that long in the supermarket.

1 Like

Doyen status lost…

8 Likes

Have never been a) more than two hours b) without validating, but I’m fairly sure there’s an exorbitant rate (although not to the extent of $77 from memory; could be wrong)

2 Likes

It’s technically correct but any customer can easily get an exit pass no matter how long you’ve been there.

1 Like